Skip to main content
index page

Anyone been thru this lately?

Submitted by Southerngirl on Fri, 11/12/2010 - 11:01
Credits:
[Donate]

Here goes: I have horrible credit. I have 4 accounts in collections that I have been unable to settle so I had to let it go past SOL and now am waiting for them to fall off my report.

This is my problem. I have just been offered a new job contigent upon passing the background check. This is an outside sales positions and my concern is my horrible credit will prevent me from getting this job. Do you think this could happen?

I know having bad credit will keep you from getting a banking job but not sure as to sales. We conduct background checks at work but it is to verify employment history, drug, alcohol use, driving record and if the employee has ever failed a drug test before with a previous employer. Although credit is one of the forms they fill out we don't check it. I guess it could depend on what type of sales. I know as a previous real estate agent in NM when applying for my license a bad ground check was required and as you I was concerned because my credit was not good. The report did not effect my being licensed.

Submitted by Buzzette on Mon, 11/15/2010 - 12:46

Buzzette

( Posts: 401 | Credits: )

After signing the background check authorization form two weeks ago I found out today that I have been offered the job. I went to take the drug test this morning and all was fine. I hope this meant that the background/credit check is complete. I have a start date of Dec 6th. I guess I won't breath easy until then.

Thanks for the encouraging words.

Submitted by Southerngirl on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 10:43

Southerngirl

( Posts: 43 | Credits: )

I had to take background checks several times and credit was not an issue. When I went for my insurance license the background check revealed a misdemeanor charge that was dismissed but the disposition was never reported. I had to go contact the court and have them dig up a 40 year old record and have it notarized. Never in all my background checks did this come up except this time when they did fingerprints. Hippy days will haunt you.

Submitted by Frogpatch on Tue, 11/23/2010 - 17:53

Frogpatch

( Posts: 5381 | Credits: )

If you're up for a job that does check credit reports and you've had credit problems, you can sometimes overcome the negative report by being forthright about the cause of the problem. Bring it up to whomever you interview with. If they need or want details, provide them.

Signature removed. Please read TERMS OF SERVICE for a more detailed description regarding advertising. Shazzers

Submitted by Chris Scully on Thu, 12/02/2010 - 10:30

Chris Scully

( Posts: 11 | Credits: )