Skip to main content
index page

New to the Community

Submitted by Jeff1959 on Wed, 03/02/2011 - 14:10
[Donate]

My name is Jeff and I just found this community. I am hoping to learn a lot because my financial situation has gone from fairly stable to out of control in 2 months.

Prior to February 15th, I was earning $52K per year as a pastor. My wife is disabled and brings home $805 from Social Security Disability. We were managing our finances barely, but we were gaining ground.

Now, I am unemployed. Pastors are not eligible for unemployment. We went from around $4500 per month to $805. Monthly expenses were about $4100. Needless to say, there's been some massive lifestyle changes happening.

Right now, we've stopped paying on the mortgage, and have the house for sale. We are hoping to get Wells Fargo to go along with a "deed in lieu of foreclosure" deal. We owe close to $7000 more than the house is being offered for sale. The market here is not moving at all. We've had the house on the market 60 days with ZERO people even expressing interest, much less make an offer.

Right now, we are still applying for county food assistance, medical care with our local clinic, and additional programs through our Social Worker.

Hopefully, I can learn some things here to help me until I get some work and get back on our feet. We are hoping to avoid bankruptcy, but I am not sure that's possible right now.

Jeff