Skip to main content
index page

I am in a catch 22

Submitted by on Sat, 04/28/2007 - 04:48
Credits:
[Donate]

March 2006 my bankruptcy was discharged. This did not include 3 student loans totaling 38K dollars. I learned that they could not be discharged. I made an agreement to start buying one of them (smallest) to stop the phone calls even though I cannot afford it.
I have 4 fast money loans that drain my monthly income.

I waited a year to check my credit record; three discharged creditors were still listed. After finishing college, I developed a serious case of diabetes and exhauston. Now I am not working. I do have a retirement from the military after serving 20 years. it is nearly 2K monthly with yearly cost of living increases. Not social security.

I am trying to buy a house. No mortgage company will give me an afordable interest rate. I cannot get any grants I a eligible for because of my credit rating. I need to clear my credit of adverse information. :roll:

What chapter of Bankruptcy did you file? Either way, it will remain on your credit for 7-10 years. It's a public record and cannot be removed. You can put a personal statement in your file that indicates why you filed bankruptcy.

Is there a rush to buy a house? You might be better off to rent for the next few years, and work on building your credit back up, and then look at buying a home once the bankruptcy is further behind you. That will also give you time to work on the student loan situation. The bankruptcy coupled with the late payments on the student loans is going to hit your credit hard.

As far as the discharged debts showing on your credit report - are they showing as discharged? If so, you can dispute them and ask that they be removed. It's possible they might be removed now that they are discharged. (However, it's also possible they won't be removed, but it's worth a try.)

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Sat, 04/28/2007 - 05:23

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )