Skip to main content
index page

Is this the forum for Chit Chat?

Submitted by nohiogal on Tue, 02/10/2009 - 15:03
Credits:
[Donate]

I don't see another place so I guess I will post here. If the mods think it needs to go somewhere else then please feel free to move.

Anyway, I got my tax refund today and along with paying bills I got some much needed new items.

First off was a new dish drain and mat. Yes that seems rather un-exciting but when you have had the same one for ten years it can be a thrill. I set it up and actually stood back and admired it as someone might a new HDTV in their livingroom.

The second was some new socks and under "things". Again not thrilling to some but a I CAN'T wait to wear "new" tomorrow.

The third was a new brush and hair clips. I know what you are thinking. "Ohhh another thrill" but they were to me and let me tell you a good hair brush is NOT cheap :x .

Tomorrow I buy parts for my truck and although they lack the thrill of my other items they are required to keep it on the road and getting me to work and back.

I am going to splurge this weekend and get a pizza so there is some extra that is not needed but is well deserved.

On a sad note one of my dogs is almost deaf and can barely see but she still plugs along and is a great watch dog as long as you do not accidently wake her from her nap. :roll:

So share about your life. Good, bad, or ugly. We help other people that were in or are in the same boat we were so lets share some other things too. :)

i"m getting a new computer on Friday with part of my refund. Mine is almost 4years old and was a bare bones kit to begin with.

i also got my hearing aid fixed.. was 275.. and wore it today at work. I haven't had it for almost a year. Shortly after I got a brand new digital one, I had taken it out to answer my cell phone and put it in my pocket. I had been waiting for the buss in 90 some degree heat coming home from the chiropractor's office. Well I was so heat sick I had forgotten to take it out of my pocket and in the morning promptly stepped on it. I was NOT happy camper since it was a 2grand hearing aid. I found a place on line that does re-casings (thank god), and off it went. I just got it back yesterday (does happy dance)

Submitted by beli2005 on Tue, 02/10/2009 - 15:14

beli2005

( Posts: 882 | Credits: )

I already go my tax return. I paid property taxes with it, some bills, my boyfriend got the new guitar hero world tour, I got a new camera. But I relized that I made a mistake on my boyfriend tax return and put down the wrong bank account number. So we will be waiting for a check. :( (I already called the bank and the account number I put does not exsists. Good for me!!)

Submitted by jeoestreich on Tue, 02/10/2009 - 16:17

jeoestreich

( Posts: 216 | Credits: )

Yeah, I already got mine back and spent it too.

I spent it on things I really wanted, not things I needed.

I know that's kind of irresponsible; however, after being unemployed for as long as I was I had "done without" on a lot of things for so long, I wanted to be a little self-centered and spend it on things I "wanted" not things I "needed."

I'm sure I'll be feeling guilty about that in about another month's time, but at least I'm "blissful" now.

I did, however, buy my mother a new HD-TV. Her TV was "circling the drain" and wasn't going to last much longer. I got it at Sam's Club and it wasn't as expensive as I thought it was going to be. At first she didn't want it; felt I should have been more responsible with my refund.

But I'll tell you, she's enjoying it now.

I am going to donate what's left, a couple hundred dollars, to that website FrogPatch posted. I haven't totally forgotten what it is like to be unemployed, and I always said if I ever became employed again, and was able to, I was going to do whatever I could do to help others out.

I know it's not much, but every little bit helps.

Submitted by FloridaRon on Tue, 02/10/2009 - 16:41

FloridaRon

( Posts: 1190 | Credits: )

beli2005I think a new computer is a good investment. My daughter is going to get a laptop with her refund.

I was sorry to hear about your hearig aid. I am glad you were able to get it fixed :) .

jeoestreich it sounds like you got some fun stuff. I got a digital camera for Christmas the year before last and I love it.

Bummer on the wrong account thing. it happens. It happened to a guy I work with last year :(

FlordaRon I think it is great that you are spending it on things you want. I will still have some refund left after I get the needs and I plan on spending it on some "me" items.

That was very nice to get your mom the TV. Mine are old but I got the converter box for the one in the livingroom but the one in my bedroom is on its last legs. The volume is stuck and I can't change the channel anymore. I only use it to watch DVDs anyway so it is no real big problem. I keep watching Craiglist for one as I don't care if it digital. I am sure I will find one eventually.

I did see Frogpatchs post about the site. I will check it out too.

Submitted by nohiogal on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 02:21

nohiogal

( Posts: 2582 | Credits: )

nohiogal, yes since my computers seem to last 4-5yrs. I don't do much with mine mostly play Second life, and go on- line/banking etc I do have a website that i'm going to have to re-code to Dreamweaver eventually since Front page doesn't work on Vista. (Or so I've heard.. we'll see), and the last two computers I've had had been bare-bones kit.. just upgrade the case/motherboard cpu. My hard drive is litterly 10years old.

Submitted by beli2005 on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 06:50

beli2005

I am trying to adjust to my new surroundings in Idaho. I am originally from Ohio and relocated here last Nov. There are a lot of things about Ohio I miss and don't miss. One thing I don't miss is the winters! Although we do have spurts of snow here every now and then it is nothing like Ohio!

It's so much more laid back here, it took me awhile to get use to the quiet! I was in an area that was noisy, with cars wizzing by, horns, sirens, traffic jams, etc.!
I love it here!

Submitted by Shazzers on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 10:51

Shazzers

( Posts: 17344 | Credits: )

Well my kid got a good laugh on me tonight. I bought a new cordless phone. My old one was pure crap. Some $12 junk an old boyfriend bought while were still together and I was paying all my bills AND his bills and getting into the PDL cycle from hell.

I was sick of the static, dropped calls, not being able to hear on it, the answer machine not answering....you get the picture.

Anyway, so I got a new phone. I charged it up and was setting it up tonight. I was wondering what the funky black plastic thing was on top of the base unit was. It was hard plastic and I thought maybe it was some way to mount the handest but there was nothing on the hand set.

So I figured maybe it was a something left over that was used on another unit of the same type and they just left it in the molding process.

My daughter had a good laugh at me when she informed me that it was the base antenna.

DAH!!!

Yeah, I am sure I will hear about that many times before I die and I am sure the story will be passed on for years after I am gone.

I tried to explain that when I was young, antennas were expandable and had to be pulled out and put back in cordless phones and that is why I did not know what it was.

She shook her head at me while giggling.

Damn whipper snapper 18 year olds! :lol:

I will never live it down :oops:

Submitted by nohiogal on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 16:50

nohiogal

nohiogal, sounds like something I would do.

I had a simular situation this morning with a DOH! Moment. I was putting on gloves GLOVES, and somehow twisted my wrist so hard, I couldn't even bend my fingers before leaving for work. I couldn't even open the door to get out (had to use my left hand.. as it was my right)

Still hurts, and can't lift much with it or I'll get shooting pain, but I can at least type! :)

Submitted by beli2005 on Thu, 02/12/2009 - 10:19

beli2005

Ouch that does sound painful.

The older I get the more "DAH" moments I have.

When I put on my socks for work I usually put another pair of small footies over them as they are black and I don't want the cat and dog hair on them. I take off the footie before I put my shoes on.

When I got home last night I had taken off one footie but not the other. I mean I put my shoes on at the same time. I got absent minded from one foot to the next. Thank goodness I only have two feet.

Submitted by nohiogal on Thu, 02/12/2009 - 10:29

nohiogal