Skip to main content
index page

I may be out a day or two

Submitted by nohiogal on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 13:25
Credits:
[Donate]

Hi all,

I just wanted people to know I have a really bad toothache.

I am in a lot of pain. I have been trying to keep up with posts in the PDL forum but I don't think I can anymore today.

I have an emergency appt. at 8:15 tomorrow morning at the dentist. I think it may be another abcess. It hurts a lot and I am keeping ice on my face which helps a bit.

I may be out a couple days because I can not really concentrate on anything.

I am afriad as I am scared of the dentist. I am crying all the time just dreading it. Some are afarid of spiders I am afraid of the dentist. :cry:

I will update when I can. I just did not want anyone to worry where I was. Maybe I over think things to much anyway.

i haven't been to dentist since...i can't remember.not kidding either.no problems with the teeth..yet.

Submitted by paulmergel on Thu, 04/23/2009 - 13:59

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

I am sorry to hear this. I know exactly how you feel, I have had the same thing done to me about a year ago. Have they put you on antibiotics? If you have infection or abcess, they need to have you on antibiotics.

The gums are harder to numb up and will take away some of the pain. Tell them you are scared, sometimes they can give you something to relax you before the procedure.

Hope you get to feeling better!..karen

Submitted by Bossy4455 on Sat, 04/25/2009 - 10:09

Bossy4455

( Posts: 5854 | Credits: )

Well I am now thinking of getting a second opinion.

I seem to be having some side effects from the amoxicillin that I never had before. I am nauseous and sort of dizzy. I also had a hard time sleeping as I was feeeling anxious. I called the dentist to see if she could call in a different script and she basically said no.

She suggested that I may have a reaction because of other meds. I told her I am not taking other meds. She suggested for me to contact my regular doctor about getting something else and that maybe they have records of me having and issue in the past. I told her I never had any issues in the past.

I have not taken it for a really long time though. The last time I had teeth issues the doctor gave me penicillin. She said she would not give me penicillin as it is the same as amoxicillin and anything else she can give me would be stronger and cause more side effects.

So WTH? I told her my appointment for the oral surgeon is not for three weeks. If I don't take something the infection will continue and I will have face swelling and pain again.

Her only answer was to stop taking them.

This can't be right. Am I just suppose to sit around for three more weeks with infected teeth? There are lots of antibiotics out there. What about people that are allergic to amoxicillin. There has to be an alternative. I was only taking them for three days so I know the infection would not be wiped out that fast.

I requested a medication change due to side effects for an antibiotic not some high powered pain pills. If she can't change a simple script then can I trust her opinion of my teeth.

Submitted by nohiogal on Mon, 04/27/2009 - 12:20

nohiogal

( Posts: 2582 | Credits: )

Frogpatch,

I know your post is a bit old now, but AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I had an impacted tooth that my jawbone had grown around, they actually laid me on a gurney for it, and WOW!! It hurts just thinking about it.. And the smell... the smell....

I'm afraid of dentists, too, but it's mainly because of my stronger fear/hatred of needles! Shoot, the needle freaks me out even more than the drilling!

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Tue, 05/05/2009 - 04:41

Chrys Henderson

( Posts: 2538 | Credits: )

Welp I go today for a second opinion on my teeth.

I will see what the new dentist says. I know my teeth are bad and I am sure they do need removed but I did not like the other dentist. Just something about her.

They even messed up on mailing the x-rays they took to the new dentist. I requested them to be sent over a week ago and when I checked yesterday the new dentist never got them.

I called the old one and they claimed they mailed them, yeah right.

The infection must be coming back as my mouth is starting to hurt again. Hopefully I will get more antibiotics. My appointment with the oral surgen is next week.

I just hope I like the new one as I hope to work with him if I need dentures.

Submitted by nohiogal on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 02:50

nohiogal

The last thing you want is an incompetent dentist, it could cost you more (money and pain) down the road. I had a few teeth that weren't removed properly and boy oh boy! If it's a fresh removal it doesn't require much scraping around to make sure the root is removed (my teeth have looong roots) but if everything has healed, then they need to drill to the bone...... I've had a LOT of teeth issues.... No wonder why malpractice insurance is so expensive, it wouldn't be if doctors/dentists were more competent! :roll:

The best of luck to you. Mouth pain is rather debilitating, and tooth infections can cause heart problems, too.

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 03:10

Chrys Henderson

That is one reason my teeth are bad. My first experiance at the dentist was when I was 10. It was horrible. He pulled two teeth and cut a piece of gum away so a tooth could come in.

I cracked a front tooth off at 12 but I was advised to not have it worked on until age 18 as I had a heart murmer as a baby.

Other than having that tooth fixed at 18 and one root canal the rest has been mainly pulling of abcess teeth.

The root canal tooth cracked off two years later anyway. I should have just had them pull it.

The last dentist I went to I really liked but he is no longer covered by my insurance :(

Submitted by nohiogal on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 03:21

nohiogal

Ouch! Me too! When my new wisdom teeth grew in, the old ones refused to come out! Since I was young they didn't cap them, but the new teeth were missing a patch of enamel (from where the 2nd tooth was pushing the other one over to make room) which made it painful to breathe in when it was cold outside, or to eat anything hot nor cold! I had to wait until my ice cream melted in order to eat it, and had to put ice in my coffee!

I had the exact opposite problem, too. A dentist insisted on root canalling a tooth (even though I had an abscess at the time) in order to charge more. This sealed off some of the infection which waited a few years and then came back with a vengeance! I still, to this day, feel "ghost pains" in that spot but the new dentist was afraid to drill any deeper into my jawbone.

I have a heart murmur too, but it's pretty new (I discovered it 3 years ago, but then again I avoid doctors if at all possible) and could have been directly caused by the numerous infections in those teeth.

Weak enamel and small gums (which is why my teeth rooted so deeply) run in my family, most of us have had dentures since our early to mid 20's :( I waited waaay too long to get dentures, until I was 28! I guess I love pain, despite my protestations.... :| Dang genes!

When you get dentures, they have to find all this stuff out and remove it first, which is how these impacted teeth were discovered in the first place. They didn't show up on the normal bite-down xrays (is that dated, I haven't been to a dentist in many years) and required a complete jaw x-ray which almost made me faint (and honestly made me cry) when I saw it - them (4 of them!)....

Wow, whodathunkit? Discussing teeth issues on a debt forum!

Anyone else with dental horror stories they'd like to wince at - I mean share?

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 03:54

Chrys Henderson

Well I got my second opinion. :)

I get to keep all my top teeth except for two which are bad. One is a top tooth in the back with no reason to save as there is no bottom matching tooth and a bottom on the other side in the back with the exact same issue and no matching top tooth.

I LOVE my new dentist. It is a great place with great people. They were extra nice. They actually listened to me and understood my fear and how upset I was.

I have nine teeth to be worked on but it will be split up over time so I think I can handle that.

They even had a cancelled appointment that was right after my appointment so I was able to get a teeth cleaning done and it was not that bad. The girl that did it was great.

I go back May 28th to start the work.

They had some nifty gadgets. Stuff I have never seen and a full mouth x-ray machine that took like 30 seconds. I was quite impressed with the place. Even their magazines were current...LOL

That dentist is probably making money hand over fist BUT he is putting that money into good equipment making things easier for the staff and the patient.

It showed me not to be afraid of a second opinion! I am not even afraid to go back. Well maybe a little :? But that is me not them

:D <--- This is me today! YAY!

I have half a mind to call the insurance company and complain about the other dentist office! :x

Oh and I don't have an infection. He said the reason I am having pain is that a tooth on that side is bad, but fixable. He said that the the decay is bad and the nerve may be starting to get exposed and that is why I have pain that comes and goes.

I could almost cry I am so happy :D

Submitted by nohiogal on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 10:00

nohiogal

Wow, excellent! The stress of a bad dentist is more than mitigated by the elation of a good one!

That mouth xray machine, was it one where you put your chin down and the thing travels from one end of your jaw to the other? I thought that was one of the coolest contraptions I had ever seen, very robotic, very future-tech!

I wonder if the insurance company would even care.. :( I've worked at 5 HMOs and - there's another business that needs a good shaking up... :shakes head: Perhaps the Dental Licensing Board?

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Sat, 05/09/2009 - 01:17

Chrys Henderson

Well after debating it a while I did call the insurance company. They did seem to care and she made sure she had it all down, she read it back to me.

She thanked me and said that the only way they can tell if members are disatisfied is by calls like I made.

I just don't want it to happen to others. I am sure if enough people complain they will lose their contract with that insurance company.

I also made sure she new the name of my new dentist and how wonderful him and his staff were.

The other place was nothing but a chop shop. :x

Submitted by nohiogal on Sat, 05/09/2009 - 05:43

nohiogal