Skip to main content
index page

Illegal tribal lenders

Submitted by Katie M on Wed, 08/09/2017 - 08:23
[Donate]

I took out 3 installment loans with tribal lenders in desperation to help pay for a very expensive dental surgery. I have paid $6000 for $3200 in loans and still owe $1000, all interest.

I recently found out that these loans are illegal in Massachusetts, as are all payday type loans.

I followed the advice on this site and stopped the ACH payments with my bank and opened a new checking account. I sent emails to all 3 lenders revoking ACH and wage assignments, plus asked for a refund of all the interest I have paid. I am going to file complaints with the Massachusetts division of banks today.

Here is where I need advice. I got replies from 2 of the 3 lenders so far. The first one, North Cash, said they will mark the loan paid in full but since they say I still owe them money, they will not send a refund. The second, Lend Green, replied that they will take my account off ACH but I am still responsible for paying the balance by check and if I do not they will send me to collections. The third lender, American Web Loan, has not replied.

How do I proceed? I definitely want the loans marked paid in full, but I don't want to give up on literally thousands of dollars in potential refunds. I definitely don't have the time or patience to deal with bogus collections on an illegal loan. I just want my money back and for this all to go away.

Thank you!

Katie

File ACH claims with your bank on any of the illegal loans that are within the 90 day timeframe that they can process that. You can calculate out what is beyond the principal and try to do that. It's very unlikely you can get a refund in any other way.

Advise the company that is threatening to put you into collections that you will or be paying an illegal loan beyond the principal. They will shut up eventually.

Submitted by waffles on Wed, 08/09/2017 - 15:24

waffles

( Posts: 1697 | Credits: )