Skip to main content
index page

Manhattan Processing / Threatened with Check Fraud

Submitted by on Thu, 10/14/2010 - 13:57
Credits:
[Donate]

I took out 2 loans (one from Manhattan Processing) in March for $300 . Fell on really hard times, couldn't pay them back and had to close bank account. I am in the process now of filing for bankruptcy.

Today I received a call from a woman named Jennifer Page from 305-967-7753 she she was an investigator with the fraud and worthless check devision, saying she was scheduling a service of process and said under federal law she needed to know if I wanted to have my attorney present.

I called her back and asked where she was calling from. She said, Bonds Rogers, and George... She said I took out the loan from manhattan processing and never intended to pay it back, and that I was going to be in truoble... I told her I was filing bankruptcy and she said that wouldnt help me.. I told her I couldnt pay it then and I still couldnt pay it now, so she said she would file the papers and told me good luck and hung up on me.

I called back and got a different guy... I asked him what their company name was and he proceeds to tell me they are the "buraeu of white collar crimes investigations unit".. I told him about jennifer hanging up on me and he calls her into his office (where I can hear) and asks why she did that and I heard her say I was being smart... He sent her out and then apologized to me and said they have complaints about her all the time...

Then he said he could get these papers stopped and started asking me all kinds of questions.. When he started asking me what my work address and phone number was I told him I didnt know, he said I was lying and he wasn't going to help me and he would proceed to file the papers.

I called my local sheriff's department and told them what happened... They said they looked up the phone number and it was coming from Florida.. She just advised me to contact my bankruptcy attorney.

Well, I decided to call these people back again and ask what their company was and see if I could get ANOTHER name... When I called back the guy who answered told me it would all be on the paperwork which would be hand delivered today and hung up on me.

DOES this sound like a scam?

I sure hope so.. I called my attorney but I couldn't get thru to him today.

Thanks guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
I took out 2 loans (one from Manhattan Processing) in March for $300 . Fell on really hard times, couldn't pay them back and had to close bank account. I am in the process now of filing for bankruptcy.

Today I received a call from a woman named Jennifer Page from 305-967-7753 she she was an investigator with the fraud and worthless check devision, saying she was scheduling a service of process and said under federal law she needed to know if I wanted to have my attorney present.

I called her back and asked where she was calling from. She said, Bonds Rogers, and George... She said I took out the loan from manhattan processing and never intended to pay it back, and that I was going to be in truoble... I told her I was filing bankruptcy and she said that wouldnt help me.. I told her I couldnt pay it then and I still couldnt pay it now, so she said she would file the papers and told me good luck and hung up on me.

I called back and got a different guy... I asked him what their company name was and he proceeds to tell me they are the "buraeu of white collar crimes investigations unit".. I told him about jennifer hanging up on me and he calls her into his office (where I can hear) and asks why she did that and I heard her say I was being smart... He sent her out and then apologized to me and said they have complaints about her all the time...

Then he said he could get these papers stopped and started asking me all kinds of questions.. When he started asking me what my work address and phone number was I told him I didnt know, he said I was lying and he wasn't going to help me and he would proceed to file the papers.

I called my local sheriff's department and told them what happened... They said they looked up the phone number and it was coming from Florida.. She just advised me to contact my bankruptcy attorney.

Well, I decided to call these people back again and ask what their company was and see if I could get ANOTHER name... When I called back the guy who answered told me it would all be on the paperwork which would be hand delivered today and hung up on me.

DOES this sound like a scam?

I sure hope so.. I called my attorney but I couldn't get thru to him today.

Thanks guys.

well a couple of questions.

1)internet or storefront
2)what state are you in

you see a telltale sign of a bottomfeeding pdl,or collector is the "check fraud"threat.if it was internet then you gave no check so the threat is bogus designed to scare you into paying.even if it was a storefront even if they got one payment proving fraud would be difficult.let me look into them to see.they do sound like a bottomfeeding scam.

Submitted by paulmergel on Thu, 10/14/2010 - 14:03

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

This is a scam or terrible collection agency, there are no such goverment agencys in the US. Do not call these people or give them any information. If you are interested, tell them you will send them money and ask for an address. Get the address and name of business and person (lie or not) and contact your local atty general and police.

Submitted by mont_tatum on Thu, 10/14/2010 - 14:05

mont_tatum

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Any more advice on this?? They said I would be receiving papers hand delivered on Thursday, but I've yet to see anyone!!

of course you got nothing because it was an empty threat.file a police report for the call.also file AG,and FTC complaints using the info on them you have.then when this idiotcalls back hang up without a word as that is the least the deserve.

Submitted by paulmergel on Sat, 10/16/2010 - 15:18

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )