Skip to main content
index page

IRS Delaying Some Return Processing-Computer Issue

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 09:57
Credits:
[Donate]

Just a heads up to anyone concerned...

I found out yesterday that my federal return is still in processing...and probably won't be done for another week and a half, when I was informed by the IRS that it was accepted on 1/16 and I should have my refund by 1/30 just last week. When I logged on to check the status of my refund yesterday to make sure everything was still coming through on 1/30, the date of my refund deposit had changed from 1/30 to 2/6.

I logged onto the IRS website to find out what the deal was, and right on the front page is a blurb about certain deductions causing delays in processing, because the IRS didn't have their computers updated in time. They say this is due to the tax laws related to these deductions being enacted late in December.

The deductions involved are the State Sales Tax deduction and certain Education Expense deductions. The starting date for processing of returns containing these deductions is Feb. 3, 2007.

If you have already filed your return, claimed one of these deductions and are expecting your refund this week or next, you might want to double check it again. The only notice I've received of it was when I went to the IRS website myself and checked it out. And the folks answering the phone at the IRS apparently aren't even aware of it, because when I called them, they couldn't tell me why my refund was delayed. :evil:

Yep, that's what I thought too. This is the first time I've sat down and made concrete plans on doing something special with my return, other than paying bills off. I planned to buy a van, and the deal expires on 2/1. If my refund doesn't come until 2/6, I'm sunk. They've had 4 other people come in and offer them cash for the van, full price, not the reduced price I negotiated with them. The dealership is a small one, and the owner is pretty ticked that he's holding the van for someone that's getting it for $500 less than full price, and 4 other people have offered full price in the past 2 weeks.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 16:02

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Ok....here's a direct quote from the IRS website:

[quote]IR-2007-03, Jan. 8, 2007

Washington ???????? The Internal Revenue Service plans a Feb. 3 start date for processing tax returns that claim key tax provisions enacted in December.

The IRS announced today that it will begin processing both e-file and paper tax returns on Feb. 3 that include claims for the major ???????extender??????? provisions, including deductions for state and local sales taxes, higher education tuition and fees, and educator expenses. Any other tax returns for individuals that do not claim the extender provision can be filed as normal this month.

The Feb. 3 date allows the IRS enough time to update its systems to accommodate the tax law changes without disrupting other operations tied to the tax filing season.

???????The vast majority of taxpayers will not be affected by these changes, and they will not notice any difference as they start filing tax returns this month,??????? IRS Commissioner Mark W. Everson said. ???????The IRS urges people claiming the extender deductions to file electronically to reduce the chance of making an error.???????

Based on filings last year, about 930,000 tax returns claimed any of the three main extender provisions by Feb. 1. Overall, the IRS expects to process about 136 million individual tax returns this year.
[/quote]
Ok, am I the only one that thinks 930,000 is somewhere at least CLOSE to affecting a "...vast majority of taxpayers..."???? :evil: :evil:

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 18:16

SUEBEEHONEY70

I too filed my income tax return and was told that it would be delayed. After filing electronically with Turbo Tax, I was suppose to have my refund deposited on 1-26-07. However, I have been told by the IRS that they are reviewing my refund, along with 72,000 others for 2 weeks. How sad is that!. I paid for a rapid refund and I could have mailed my return and paid nothing. As you can understand I am very dissapointed.

Submitted by shonuff1215 on Fri, 02/02/2007 - 12:42

shonuff1215

( Posts: | Credits: )

Well, I got my refund today. The IRS website said between 2/2 and 2/6, and it came today, on 2/2, so I guess they at least kept their word about that! I just find it SO ironic that THEY can delay processing because of a "computer issue", but if WE owed THEM money, they'd be coming after us, no excuses accepted.

Bummer, though - the 2nd van I was looking at was sold yesterday! Sooo...back to the drawing board on that! But there are many others out there, so I'm not lost yet.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 02/02/2007 - 17:03

SUEBEEHONEY70

Actually there was a problem with the IRS they sent out thousands of dollars to people and they have no record of who they sent the checks too. One lady had to fight with her bank and the IRS to take back money they deposited in her account. So that can be one of the reasons for the delay

Submitted by indian on Fri, 02/02/2007 - 17:07

indian

( Posts: 11 | Credits: )

Steelers - the delayed processing was due to three major tax deductions that many people take. The tax laws for 2006 were approved late in December, which the IRS says caused a delay in updating their computer system (yeah, a month and half long delay!). The deductions were:

-The State Sales Tax Deduction (yep, that's the one you were asking about in another thread)
-Tuiton Deduction for Higher Education
-Deduction for Expenses Paid by Teachers (not reimbursed by their employer)

Again, the IRS said this "would not affect the vast majority of taxpayers"....yet in the very next paragraph on their website, they stated it would affect approximately 950,000 people. No wonder our government can't keep finances straight....look at the numbers the IRS uses for figuring "a vast majority"...

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 02/02/2007 - 17:08

SUEBEEHONEY70

Not sure how it worked out that way - maybe it was a different sort of higher education deduction or something...I don't know. That's just what was on the IRS website. Here's a link to the article on the IRS website:

http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=165779,00.html

Glad you got yours on time, though! :D

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Fri, 02/02/2007 - 17:19

SUEBEEHONEY70

I efile on 1-29-08 the date change form 1-12-08 to
2-26-08. What i crock if I knew this I would have waited until the 1st of March.

Submitted by on Fri, 02/08/2008 - 14:58

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )