Skip to main content
index page

Can I afford a horse?

Submitted by on Thu, 11/05/2009 - 01:30
Credits:
[Donate]

Hope the community can help me.

I have been struggling with debt for some time now but I???m also planning to buy a horse as I always wanted to own one. Can I afford a horse? What the community suggests?

It could run in to the tens of thousands. My uncle owned 1/4 of a horse and it cost him $40,000. And that was in the early '90s! He sold his share for around $75,000 so it's a good investment (if, and I do mean *IF*) your horse can run like the wind and win high stakes races.

Frankly, though, that's a rather odd question to ask on a board dedicated to help those buried in debt. Perhaps you would be better off asking that on a horse racing industry board for better results.

Not to mention, buying a horse requires cold, hard, cash. As far as I know, there are no payment plans, it is far too risky.

Of course, I am assuming you wish to buy a race horse. If not, then you must have the space for a horse, then you have a ranch, and I would take care of your debt first.

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Thu, 11/05/2009 - 07:25

Chrys Henderson

( Posts: 2538 | Credits: )

LOL, anyway i had one when i was a kid, probably a good 18 years ago, and he was old. so we got him pretty cheap. BUT like the above post they need room for grazing, you will need to put a few hours a day into him, for excersize(riding), brushing, cleaning out the stall, you will need a barn to keep him in and of course at minimum you will need 2 visits to the vet for shoes and sort which is very costly. factor in the hay, and it will need a variety of different foods to keep him a healthy diet such as sweet mix and such which is extremely expensive and they eat alot. This is all if you have a healthy horse. most people dont realize how pricey they really are its not the initial cost that is really that bad, its the overall.

so i would suggest you pay your debts first and if then you are debt free by all means go for it. Its my dream to have a few horses but i dont see it ever happening the time alone is a big factor.

Submitted by love_my_things on Wed, 11/11/2009 - 11:07

love_my_things

( Posts: 1434 | Credits: )