Skip to main content
index page

What to do about a credit card and 16 year old

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Wed, 04/08/2009 - 09:47
Credits:
[Donate]

I didn't know where to post this and hope that someone could help.

My son got a prepaid credit card in the mail on Sat. It was sent from a company called netspend out of Austin TX.

I called them and it took forever to even get a human on the phone. I wanted my sons information taken off of their system. He is only 16. But they wanted to talk to him because he was the cardholder. I then told them that they would not be speaking to him because he is under 18 and I was his parent. They then told me that they had to talk to him to remove him from the system. I then again, told them they would NOT be talking to him and if they did not remove him from their system that I would be contacting my state and the BBB about this. So it took a little bit and she came back on the line and said that he has been removed from their system.

But I checked them out on the BBB. How can a company have an A+ rating when they had this for complaints?
Quote:
BBB processed a total of 930 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 930 complaints closed in 36 months, 385 were closed in the last year.

Should I still file with my state because they sent a 16 year old the credit card? Or do I just let it be, now that they say he is off their system?

They asked me that and then they asked me for more of his information. I know better than to give them that. I had asked if on the on-line form, they ask for the persons birthday and they said yes. But the computer must have missed that he was under 18. So how many more under 18 has their computer missed.

I will be talking to him about this when he gets home from school today!! If he did I will do some major butt chewing lol.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Wed, 04/08/2009 - 10:02

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

FYI I got one over the weekend as well. I opened it yesterday and was like what the heck is this. It is from netspend and it is a prepaid visa card that you can load or have your paycheck direct deposited to.

I destroyed it and put it in the trash. I was not going to waste my time calling them. Its worthless unless it is loaded.

Submitted by kfstaff24 on Wed, 04/08/2009 - 14:58

kfstaff24

( Posts: 1448 | Credits: )

HOLY SMOKES!

Netspend must have been pretty busy lately! I got one of those cards this past weekend too. When I got the envelope, I opened it immediately, because I had no idea why I would be getting a CC in the mail. With my credit tanked the way it is, there was not way I would have been approved for one. Plus I had not applied for one.

When I saw it was a pre-paid card, I laid it back in the stack of mail and meant to call about it on Monday. Of course, I forgot about it until I read this post!

Now I'm really curious what the story is behind this. Has anyone else here gotten one of these cards?

I'm going to call them Tomorrow, Thursday, and find out what the deal is on this, I'll let you guys know.

'm going to PO'd if they have my SSN!

Submitted by FloridaRon on Wed, 04/08/2009 - 17:42

FloridaRon

( Posts: 1190 | Credits: )

puddlejmpr, how in the world did you get to the point of talking to a live person on their VRU? I've tried several times and keep getting a "try again later" message, and the get hung up on. I chose the option to "speak to a CSR"; however, the VRU asks for the card number and when I enter it, I'm told I need to activate the card before I can talk to a CSR.

I do not want to activate the card!!!

beli2005, this appears to be a legit card, not one of those promotional offers. I've seen those types of cards before and the account number is usually something like "1234 5678 . . . " It has my name on the card, a true 16 digit Visa CC number, and other personal information on the mailer. I've done some Googleing and I am seeing where people have mentioned this company has their SSN, which really irritates me!

Submitted by FloridaRon on Thu, 04/09/2009 - 08:04

FloridaRon

Yeah, well the "0" thing didn't work for me either. I finally chose the option to report the card as lost or stolen and got a live person. Albeit a live person with an accent that probably didn't understand a thing I was asking or saying. I'm not sure she was from India; I didn't recognize the accent.

She did say, after I asked like 5 times, they don't have my SSN information and it wasn't part of the verification process, so I feel somewhat better about that. I told her I wanted to be removed from any and all future mailings from their company and she advised me it had been done.

We'll see.

Good advice, BTW, smckaybiz! I did call the Florida Office of Financial regulation about this and was advised to file a complaint. So I would suggest everyone else do so with their own state authority that might handle complaints like this.

Submitted by FloridaRon on Thu, 04/09/2009 - 12:09

FloridaRon

I know it took a LONG time to get a person. Then I ended up calling back and when it asks if you want to sign up to get a card you end up getting a live person. I never gave them my info I just started right away with take his info off your system. Then that one transfered me to someone else.

Yep and both people I talked to had that accent. And if the company is in TX their accent wasn't a TX accent.

I also talked to my son and he did not sign up for anything. So how the heck did they get his info?? I am going to file a complaint asap. Something just doesn't seem right on this. Plus even though it is a prepaid card they still shouldn't be sending them to minors.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Thu, 04/09/2009 - 14:03

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

Absolutely, puddlejmpr, not only should they not be sending them to minors, they shouldn't be sending them out unsolicited either!

I asked her how they even got my name and address and got nothing but evasiveness. I wasn't sure if she just didn't understand me or didn't know the answer to that question.

LOL! Yes, it definitely wasn't a TX accent at all.

Funny thing, when I talked to the guy at the Florida Office of Financial Regulation, he said they were registered with Florida; he had them on file. I asked him if they had a number for them and he said they did and gave me the CSR number I already had. I told him good luck if they had to call that company using that number then because it was going to be a big headache!

Submitted by FloridaRon on Thu, 04/09/2009 - 14:41

FloridaRon

I got one of these cards in the mail a couple of weeks ago and I just opened it today to see what it was. It said I was referred by one thier partners so I wonder if they got my info from something I applied for awhile ago..(PDL perhaps) No clue. I checked out their website and it doesn't seem all that bad, it's just strange they send them to people without them asking for it. I don't need it so I just threw mine in the shredder here at work.

Submitted by PinkLady on Thu, 05/14/2009 - 14:18

PinkLady

( Posts: 1720 | Credits: )