Skip to main content
index page

Had to go to the vet today :'(

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Tue, 04/28/2009 - 08:10
Credits:
[Donate]

Well today was the day :cry: I finally had to put down my 17 year old man :cry: He was having a hard day yesterday. It has been raining here for like a week and the dampness set in and he was limping around so bad yesterday. He hasn't been eating either. So I had to make the call to put him down. I'm kinda glad I did because during the check up they found he had a heart murmer and they said his thyroid (sp) disease was getting the best of him and even the vet said it was time. But at least the sun was shining and he got to lay in the sun one last time. Yes I am sad right now, but he gave me 17 good years and never one complaint, well unless we went to the vet lol. But my son is taking this really hard because they both shared the same birthday. So the vet said they could make his pawprint in some clay for him. So I had them do that and will hang it on his wall when it is dry.

I am so sorry for this heartache. I know all too well the feeling of losing a beloved pet. It is a member of the family and the loss process is the same.17 years is a long time and I am sure he had a good life, full of love and fun. Once again I am sorry for the pain you are feeling.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/28/2009 - 08:16

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I'm so sorry for your loss!! We recently had to put our sweet cat to sleep, we had her for 20 years. I donated money to our library in her name, they will purchase materials for our branch and put her name on the bookplate.

Submitted by on Tue, 04/28/2009 - 19:29

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Oh, puddlejmpr, I am so very sorry!

My heart really does go out to you and your family.

I think the clay pawprint is a great idea! It should help your son, and maybe others in your family, through the grieving process. Maybe frame a good picture of your cat, or maybe one of your son with him if you have one, and put on the wall next to it.

I lost my girl Endorah back in 2006, after her being a part of my family for close to 16 years, and I still get teary eyed when I think of her. I don't care what some people say, to me, pets really are an extension of my family and the loss can hurt just as bad as losing a human member.

Submitted by FloridaRon on Tue, 04/28/2009 - 22:20

FloridaRon

( Posts: 1190 | Credits: )

Puddle,

I am so sorry to read this. He was a handsome cat. I love the orange and white. It is so hard to loose a beloved pet and the unconditional love they provide. I know it is a comfort to have them around you and the joy they bring. I am sure you gave him the best 17 years. Know that I am thinking of you.

Roxy

Submitted by RoxyNY on Wed, 04/29/2009 - 06:10

RoxyNY

( Posts: 4178 | Credits: )

i'm sorry puddlejumper.it's never easy.there is another light across the rainbow bridge. :hug: to you my friend.

Submitted by paulmergel on Wed, 04/29/2009 - 06:13

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

Thank you all!!!

Ron, That is a good idea! Thank you! I will have to start looking for a good pic.

2 of the cats I have are doing better. But the one that is in my avaitor is taking it hard. She is sooo crabby. That night she was so ticked at me that she came by me and looked up at me and pee'd on my feet :x She is doing some odd stuff now. But the vet said it's because she is stressed. He said if she doesn't stop in a few days he will give her some meds. to help her :? OMG i'm gonna have a cat on prozac :shock: lol I am trying to give her as much extra attention as I can. This morning she seems a little better. At least my feet are staying dry lol.

Thank you again for all your kind words :D

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Thu, 04/30/2009 - 05:35

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

I know how it is to deal with a stressed/pissed off cat. My cat Bob had an abcess on his paw. He has been back to the vet many many many times. He had three surgeries to put in drains.

He is cranky and howling and hissing at the other cats because he is in such a bad mood. He is meowing at me all the time. Driving me nuts :x

Submitted by nohiogal on Thu, 04/30/2009 - 08:18

nohiogal

( Posts: 2582 | Credits: )

awwww I am sorry to hear that.

I got back with her. It turns out that she has a pretty good bac. infection. and they are worried about her anal (sp??) glands. They emptied them the best they could and now she is on meds. and she has to go back next week. Now I know why she has been acting the way she has. But at least I know she will get better now.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Thu, 04/30/2009 - 09:58

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )