Skip to main content
index page

How are you going to celebrate Valentine Day with your loved one during this cash-strapped season?

Submitted by Vikas on Sun, 02/01/2009 - 22:16
Credits:
[Donate]

Valentine’s Day is the most exciting and romantic day of the year for most couples. Every one of us tries to make this day memorable by offering our love to our beloved through gifts. According to a survey by CNNMoney, an average American spends $120 on Valentine’s Day. But during this cash-strapped time can’t we become innovative and balance all the aspects? Share your wisdom with us on the ways you’re going to take during this Valentine’s Day to shower your Love and Affection on your The Loved One.

I really believe it is simple. The best way to spend V' Day without the worry of money involved is to take the evening and commit it only to each other. When you want to show your true love for each other, Money should never be a factor. It is the heart. Leave the problems behind and focus on your love instead of the problems knocking on your door. Cuddle up on the couch or lay in bed with only you and your loved one talking of your love for each, passions, and hobbies. Leave all issues behind for the evening. Focus on your love and make sure that the other one feels that no matter what may lie outside your door, you have always got the most important thing that money can not buy. Each others love. Each others heart. You're in it completely together. When I was diagnosed with a disease that prevents me from doing a lots of things, you realize that the most important thing is the love you have. Not what you can buy. With sharing your love, you can accomplish anything. Show that love. It means more then the gifts and things that may just end up stressing you out in the end. Hold them, remind them each day (not only special occasions) what it means to have them in your life. This Valentine's Day, leave everything aside for a while and build on that love.
I know all of this is not exactly what you have asked. But the gift of love is the most priceless thing that you could ever give or receive. Everyone wants to do something really special with their loved ones or be able to buy them something unforgettable. But in these hard times stop and think of the last time you gave 100% attention only to the love you share. Several years after you will still remember how it felt. Money? What does it all mean and what do you really have if you do not feel and give your love. Be it with your kids, parents, husbands and wives, or even someone in need of a helping hand. Let them know you care. Money can't buy that. But you sure can give it. The most expensive gift of all. LOVE

Submitted by Allie on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 08:47

Allie

( Posts: | Credits: )

We are going to go to our cabin and have a nice dinner there. I have already picked up a tenderloin when the store had them really cheap and put it in the freezer. Better than paying $22 for 1 16oz steak dinner. I got a whole 4lb tenderloin for $13. The rest of the dinner will cost a few dollars. Then we are going to curl up by the fire and watch some movies. The video store has a special going on 3 movies for 5 days for $5. So our whole V-day will cost us about $40 that includes dinner,movies and gas to get to the cabin. We don't do presents or cards on V-day because #1 the cards usually get thrown away so that would be like throwing $4 in the trash #2 being able to have the cabin is a gift in itself these days #3 flowers die, true love doesn't.

Submitted by puddlejmpr on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 09:27

puddlejmpr

( Posts: 1634 | Credits: )

First, I plan on making cards :) I will make one for my husband of just over 13 years and also for my boys. Cards are so expensive to buy and i can also write my true feelings.
Also I plan on staying in and making a nice home cooked meal, that we rarely get to enjoy as a family. I plan on going all out and buying nice steaks, YUMMY and way cheaper than going a restaurant. I plan on having an awesome dessert to finish it off.
Most couples spend the day or evening together without their kids, but myself Our kids are part of Valentines Day and we should celebrate together, and with it being on a Saturday, even though we have basketball and indoor soccor that day, we will spend the evening as a family with a nice dinner/dessert and a good family movie that we can enjoy together~as a Family :)
Happy Valentines Day to ALL!!!

Submitted by wendylynn93 on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 14:58

wendylynn93

( Posts: 195 | Credits: )

This Valentine\'s Day I am going to \"Act in Love\". I will do special things for my loved ones. I will make each one a handmade card. Inside will be a special message for them expressing how much they mean to me and what I love about them. Also inside will be what their special \"Act of Love\" from me will be. For my husband, I will give him that back massage he\'s always been begging for. For my teenage son, I will cook his favorite dinner, Spaghetti. For my 6 year old daughter, I will paint her finger and toe nails with any of my nail polishes she chooses. And for my 4 year old son, I will take him to our local playground and play WITH him. He loves going down the slide together. :) I am going to just to show them how much I love them. No gift can really express love...only YOU can express how much you love someone. Make sure you always tell your loved ones that you love them, no one is promised tomorrow.

Submitted by mamamerel on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 15:36

mamamerel

FOR VALENTINES DAY MY LOVED AND I WILL HOLD OFF ON EXPENSIVE GIFTS AND TRY JUST SPENDING A ROMANTIC NIGHT TOGETHER. WE WILL DRESS UP LIKE IF WE WERE GOING OUT FOR THE NIGHT. I WILL MAKE A DINNER AT HOME WHERE WE CAN EAT AND TALK. THEN MAYBE A DRIVE OUT TO THE BEACH. WHERE WE CAN WALK TOGETHER, HOLD HANDS AND JUST BE WITH EACHOTHER FEELING THE LOVE...

Submitted by cindee_lopez01 on Mon, 02/02/2009 - 19:21

cindee_lopez01

( Posts: 4 | Credits: )

I plan to make a spagetti dinner. Rent a new movie for my hubby. I have bought a 25 dollar itunes card and his favorite undies. The total cost will be about 70 dollars. This is a far cry from years past,but a positive direction for our budget crunched lifestyle. Candles and good food should make it memorable.

Submitted by overmyhead1233701232 on Tue, 02/03/2009 - 14:47

overmyhead1233701232

with pleasure delight and enjoyment the Valentine's Day
is for majority of people in the world and a wonderfull Day
and for each person much and crowded person loved much
this Day . As for me also the Day Valentine's is necessary
for my life and used to access the lifetime for someone to
do something with enjoyment

Submitted by HMISSA on Wed, 02/04/2009 - 02:21

HMISSA

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a stuffed animal, a rose that is made of feathers, some candy, card and a bag to put all the stuff in for less than $10. If I had gone to a retail store to buy the same type of things it would have cost far more and the feather rose will last longer than a real one!

Submitted by cntrygirl63 on Thu, 02/05/2009 - 12:11

cntrygirl63

( Posts: 55 | Credits: )

Nowadays in my country, the Valentine's day is a day to celebrate. But not always was like this. The people thought that this day are only for the teenagers. But now, all the couples celebrate the valentine's days with a romantic dinner or changing gifts. This year we will stay in home. I will make a romantic dinner. But during the afternoon we will walk on the beach (if it will be sun) or on the river. Because we are childs it coudn't be more romantic (!!) but we will have all the night!!

Submitted by Isabel on Fri, 02/06/2009 - 06:02

Isabel

We have already decided to stay in and forego the gifts and flowers etc. - no sense in spending a ton of money we shouldn't be spending. Instead, we will be making some recipes we haven't tried before from the new cookbook we got for Christmas (it's always fun cooking together!) and watching some movies on DVD we've been wanting to see. Since we rarely get to spend time together because of work schedules, that's what's most important anyway.

Submitted by SusieQ on Sat, 02/07/2009 - 15:12

SusieQ

( Posts: 302 | Credits: )

I'm gonna get some nice scented candles, and stragically place them around my bathtub, then get some nice sushi from Bennihanna and plate and place them where the water wont soak them, dim the lights and have a nice romantic tune playing for my special one, get into the bathtub and ... well
then the rest is up to YOUR imagination....
HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!!

Submitted by nystuff4u on Sun, 02/08/2009 - 07:45

nystuff4u

My husband and I are going to the movies (which we have a free pass for) and then we are going to have dinner at Olive Garden ( we have a gift card from Christmas). We have both been dieting but we have one cheat day a week, so instead of buying expensive gifts for each other, we are buying a big box of candy to share. We can go out and have a good time without spending a lot of money, after all, the most important part of Valentine's Day is spending it with each other.

Submitted by Loretta Haught on Tue, 02/10/2009 - 16:39

Loretta Haught

Go out for a quite little dinner and then go back home to spend some quite time with my love one no tv or nothing on just our minds and to show just how much we love another.Then go take a long long shower together and then go lay on the bed and snuggle and talk about our life together.
How much longer we have together.

Submitted by April1234340592 on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 00:23

April1234340592

What money can't buy- attention, a soft touch, a high degree of communication mostly listening you asking a simple thing like would you like can I get you a cup of coffee. Maybe we should make ever day Valentine ???s Day .simple consideration, listening and a soft touch goes a long way. Flowers fade and candy goes stale but a relationship built on consideration and communication will make love last forever.

Submitted by MIKE1234412905 on Wed, 02/11/2009 - 20:28

MIKE1234412905

Things have not been easy and I will finally be starting a new job next week to hopefully start having things get a bit easier. Valentine's day is about being with the ones we love no matter what we're doing. So instead of going out and spending lots of money on fancy candies, dinner and drinks, we're staying home to have dinner and watch a video with the kids. No worries about making reservations or finding a babysitter.

Submitted by Nancy1234482395 on Thu, 02/12/2009 - 15:46

Nancy1234482395

Since I am in that situation this year, me and my husband are going to down town Savannah Ga. We live near Savannah. We are planning on just going down town and enjoying the sights. Its nice just to walk around and look at all the shops and art gallerys. I have planned a romatic dinner at home and then cuddling up beside the fire place and watching a movie. It saves alot of money when you have dinner and a movie at home. And its more romantic.

Submitted by Aliesha on Thu, 02/12/2009 - 17:48

Aliesha

Well if your lucky to have a loved one, then I say everyday should be Valentine's day. You should have to wait for one day a year to show your loved that you care. You should do that everyday. With kindness, helpfulness and thoughtfulnes all the time. I will spend no money on this day. I beleive that this day is over commericalized.

Submitted by mariewoodson1354 on Sat, 02/14/2009 - 12:00

mariewoodson1354

I don't have a "sweetheart" per se, so I spent Valentine's Day helping my parents clean their house. I did major deep cleaning on 4 rooms, and made them very happy by doing so. (They're disabled and unable to do more than just the basics.) We scrubbed, vaccuumed, put things away where they belong, and dusted for 6 hours straight.

It made me feel great on Valentine's Day!

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Sun, 02/15/2009 - 15:09

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

should i ask one teaser? In 1929 how they have celebrated the valentine when they were cash strippen? histroy repeats.
To celebrate a valentine it is not all those humpy dumpy gifts matter,rather your beloved also knows what is the current situation so surely they will be cooperative in this aspect.

As far as i am concerned, i am just gonna offer a red rose to my beloved ( obviously i will chose from my garden only,why should i buy it,if it is available with me) & will have a great dinner with home made stuff ( i know cooking ).

does it cost me anything to celebrate? Are you getting me?

Submitted by manoj gopale on Thu, 02/19/2009 - 11:14

manoj gopale

( Posts: 98 | Credits: )

Yes, we took a little extra, had family come and watch the kids and went out for a nice simple dinner.

We didn't do any presents or anything except small things for the kids.

Valentine's Day is about love, so just having the time alone with each other to bond was a great thing to do.

Our dinner ended up only costing $50 for 3 hours of wonderful alone time to talk and not be distracted by the everyday things at home/life.

We both dressed nicely and had a wonderful time.

We planned on this and saved our money up to do so.

Submitted by kmball1968 on Fri, 02/20/2009 - 12:11

kmball1968

( Posts: 46 | Credits: )

WELL FIRST ILL COOK FOR HER IT WOULD BE A LOT CHEAPER THAN TAKING HER TO A RESTAURANT, ALSO WILL BUY HER ROSES AND DRAW A SAD SAM CARTOON IN A PIECE OF PAPER AND WRITE SOME NICE THINGS TO HER, BUY CANDLES AND AFTER DINNER AND A BOTTLE OF WINE , WILL GIVE HER A MASSAGE, WILL DO EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE, INSTEAD OF BUYING EXPENSIVE GIFTS , WILL CHANGE FOR LOVE, HUGS ,KISSES ATTENTION,,,I BELIEF THAT WILL MAKE HER DAY MEMORABLE ,GIVING HER ALL MY LOVE AND ATTENTION.

Submitted by edward899 on Fri, 02/20/2009 - 16:13

edward899

My Husband I have celebrated 26 Valentine's Days together. Some of these have been quite extravagent while we were dating and included roses being delivered to my work, a gourmet dinner out and a room at a 4 star resort complete with breakfast in bed. The amount of money we spent is more than what we currently spend on our monthly groceries for our family of 4.

This year we will do our "holiday" breakfast of eggs benedict with our children. We are going to take them ice skating, only $5 each and then take them to Grandma's for a sleep over. My Husband and I are going to return home, make a steak dinner together, drink too much wine and enjoy each other's company without the children. We agree that this low budget celebration and inclusion of the children is the conservative way to go this year.

Submitted by Michelle1235403967 on Mon, 02/23/2009 - 07:46

Michelle1235403967

( Posts: 2 | Credits: )

i went out to kareeocki with my husband it was free admission and we bought two drinks that cost $8 dollar a piece and i got drunk, went home and finish up the night. it was great and it only cost me less than $50 bucks. Dinner at friday with coupon buy one get one free meal, drinks and fun. it was so fun for us

Submitted by alexus34 on Tue, 02/24/2009 - 07:00

alexus34

My husband and I have been married for 21 years. We are cash strapped as right now I am only one working and we have a son in college. We plan to sleep late, prepare a large brunch together of our favorite foods. Steak and eggs, fresh tomato with parmesan. Fresh fruit.
After calling our son at school, we are going to turn off the phone, watch some of our favorite movies:
for him: Platoon, Patton
for me: Diary of a Mad Black Woman, Auntie Mame.

We will finish the evening with the classic "BORAT". Before going to bed, we are going to make an ice cream run.

Submitted by dell.hughes on Tue, 02/24/2009 - 10:23

dell.hughes

Valentine's Day 2009 will be low key and wonderful at the same time. Love is truely free and there is no need to buy presents to represent that. Far more important than spending money is spending time and giving full attention. It is a pretty scary world right now and that sometimes takes away from what's most important in this world and that is love.
This year make sure the people you love know how much they mean to you and give them all the time and attention that you can. If you would like to buy something, put more effort into something that has meaning.

Submitted by bea2ls on Wed, 02/25/2009 - 06:29

bea2ls

( Posts: 3840 | Credits: )