Skip to main content
index page

Why most of the people try to avoid filing income tax returns?

Submitted by Vikas on Tue, 05/01/2012 - 00:03
Credits:
[Donate]

A lot of people deliberately try to avoid filing income tax returns. Why do you think this is happening nowadays?

Because if they make a high income they will proberly owe the state and or the irs. And they dont want to pay so they aviod having thier taxes done. Or it could be that they owe a lot of medical bills or have judgements aginst them if that is so then they feel like its a waste of time to file an income tax return because thier refund would just be garnished anywhy.

Submitted by leannahawkley on Fri, 05/04/2012 - 07:12

leannahawkley

( Posts: | Credits: )

Because they owe money they cannot pay by the filing deadline and are afraid that when the IRS gets their tax return without a payment that they may be sued, put in jail, or harassed in some intolerable form or they believe some so called tax "EXPERT" that seems to know more than anyone else that has some reason or just blatantly tells them the IRS is too busy to deal with their measly little tax amounts.

Submitted by proctormail on Fri, 05/04/2012 - 13:21

proctormail

To put a sweet twist on it, with bitter reasoning, it could be that people aren't necessarily avoiding filing their tax returns but not having income to file their tax returns with. The state of the economy is in dire straits. While many state officials are claiming that we are climbing out of the recession, the lack of employed persons counters that. Other potential reasons for avoiding the income tax returns may be people not get a tax return but have to owe taxes. This large chunk of money paid in the beginning of the year could very well be the deciding factor on keeping your mortgage up to date or falling behind in payments, keeping your electricity on or even having gas in the car to travel to and from work.

Submitted by larburton on Sat, 05/05/2012 - 18:49

larburton

I think them most common reason someone might avoid filing his taxes is because he owes someone money. Whether it's that he owes for the tax year he's filing and doesn't have the money to pay or that he owes for a previous tax year, defaulted student loan, back child support, etc., the "avoidance" it to try to get out of paying.

Another similar reason might be that this person doesn't want to be found. He might be an illegal alien or very far in arrears on child support and doesn't want to be arrested.

Either way, not filing your taxes will always come back to bite you eventually.

Submitted by OhioGal1 on Tue, 05/08/2012 - 09:36

OhioGal1

( Posts: 5253 | Credits: )

I suppose some people may avoid filing their income tax returns because they owe money! If you were getting a refund back and could use that extra cash right about that time (pay back Christmas spending debt, winter accumulated bills, etc) then you will not hesitate in filing. I don't hesitate at all filing because I need the extra cash and I don't owe anything...thank God! This is also a tedious time of preparing documents, receipts and dotting your i's and crossing your t's. So I believe that is why some people avoid filing their tax returns.

Submitted by mtannika on Wed, 05/09/2012 - 13:20

mtannika

well mainly for three reasons.
1)the economy is still slow
2)our wonderful government is still in budget limbo
3)the way they handle things at tax season is horrible

i do know friends that are hurt by the slow economy,and with the amount of former IRS agents helping people settle tax debt.the would rather keep the money for now,and pay a settled amount later.again if our idiotic gov't could get their house in order(which they haven't)people are going to do what's best for them first.even at the governments expense.just the reality of the past 8 plus years.

Submitted by paulmergel on Thu, 05/10/2012 - 06:21

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

I believe it will take that much longer for the IRS to require payment if they have to get in contact with you FIRST. And considering the penalty is not a HUGE percent; one is hoping they will be able to pay by the time they are contacted by the IRS. The "amount of money" or the "huge factor" is relative to each household or company.

Submitted by luvtogolf622 on Thu, 05/10/2012 - 10:29

luvtogolf622

Ignorance. Simply that! Most the folks that are fortunate enough to have decent paying jobs are not going to avoid filing their tax returns. They are more likely to be educated in tax returns or can afford someone to do it for them and tend to find ways to reduce their tax liability. Those on the lower income bracket are more likely to avoid the filing of tax returns in fear that they may owe money they cannot afford, and may not be aware that their tax liability is significantly lower than the rest of us.

Submitted by thabigshow on Sat, 05/12/2012 - 04:21

thabigshow

Desperate times call for desparate measures. Unethical as it may seem, desperation can make the most honest person defy their own personal moral code. It's hard times everywhere these days. People look at their children and have to say, "no" to their wants because they're barely paying for their needs. If a family was "getting by" ten years ago, they are probably "barely making it" now if their means haven't changed for the better...drastically.

Now, more than ever (at least in my lifetime) it can be easy to look at the government, listen to the media go on and on about the rich and the corrupt and then reflect upon your own situation and ask, "Why, when I'm working so hard for so little, struggling as it is to make ends meet, should I help line their pockets?"

Personally I've never attempted such a feat, however, I have felt disgusted regarding the country's current situation. What will become of this country when my daughter has to learn to live on her own? I live in Illinois, probably most notorious for the corrupt politicians we've gone through over the past forty years. I pay my local, state, and federal taxes but it does sicken me when I think about where my grandparents, parents, and now my hard earned money has gone to now that the damage has been done.

Submitted by dmichelle3 on Fri, 05/18/2012 - 03:56

dmichelle3

( Posts: 7 | Credits: )

because the tax on income obtained after wear.
tax should have been in pieces by the government prior to the issuance of lard or earnings and in accordance with facility or community service to tax payers.with the provisions of the applicable tax on a paper paycheck / income under the agreement of workers / entrepreneurs.

Submitted by qowiyuka on Tue, 05/22/2012 - 22:55

qowiyuka

These people have not taken the precautions necessary throughout the preceding year to ensure an accurate recording of their financial activities for the prior tax year. If there is a reasonable and honest accounting of income and expenditures there should be no fear when tax time rolls around. If the fact that some citizens just hate the thought of possibly having to pay Uncle Sam instead of anticipating a hefty refund, then downsize, like I do, and eagerly await that timely tax refund. It's all in how you conduct your financial affairs, if you are honest, then you have nothing to worry about.

Submitted by nealyp on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 16:59

nealyp

Because budgeting your money, especially when dollars are tight, becomes a 'family first' activity, people will make decisions they would not usually consider to help cover the shortfalls. That includes avoiding paying their income tax, and the rent, the mortgage or anyone else viewed to be in a position of financial advantage. Its an environmental mindset borne out of the continual struggle to make ends meet, and a view that the government of the day is at fault.

Submitted by beesa66 on Thu, 05/24/2012 - 23:04

beesa66