Skip to main content
index page

Cash Transfer Centers sent a wage garnishment

Submitted by on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 08:41
Credits:
[Donate]

after advising my friend against a PDL he went with CTC and got a $350 loan. He defaulted in december after paying them $780, and closed his account. Today his emplyer told him there's a wage garnishment in the amount of $465 that will be deducted from his pay next Friday. This after he sent CTC a letter revoking any wage assignment. His employer say's there's nothing they can do. Doesn anyone have any suggestions? He also told them he has never signed anything it was on the internet.

Florida

Submitted by on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 09:02

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

A wage garnishment can only be court ordered and your friend should have received something. Tell your friend to ask his employer to see some paperwork regarding this garnishment. If it's just a wage assignment, then he needs to show his employer the letter he mailed to CTC revoking the assignment. If this was only and assigment and he revoked it, then his employer should not be sending any money to this company. Your friend also needs to verify that this CTC place was charging him the correct amount of interest on his loan. Here are the Florida laws when it comes to PDL's
http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/paydayloan/explain-pdls-laws.html

Submitted by PinkLady on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 09:41

PinkLady

( Posts: 1720 | Credits: )

Thanks, they CTC) told him that since he electronically sigend a voluntary wage garnishment they can garnish. I'm looking for anything that says that Wage assignements for PDL's are illegal in the state of Florida But I cannot find anything on this. His employer is looking for somekind of Florida Statue on this....can anyone help?

Submitted by on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 10:20

A wage garnishment can only be court ordered, so there is noway he electronically signed one...they are just pulling his employers leg to get some money. The only thing that he could have signed was the assigment in which he revoked. So without a court orderded garnishment his employer should not be giving CTC any money...
If you can't find anything, you should call the Florida Attonrey's General office and get more assistance with this.

Submitted by PinkLady on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 10:51

PinkLady

( Posts: 1720 | Credits: )

I also dealing with ctc and they are stinkers! They d wage assignments and these can be revoked. When they called my hr director I told her that I had revoke the wage assignment so she doesn't take the calls from them any longer.I had to send at least three or four e=mails to them stating that they were not to call me at home or my place of employment or any of my references, but they were to communicate with me either by e-mail or USPO.

Submitted by Colleen H Carrocia on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 10:54

Colleen H Carrocia

( Posts: 1117 | Credits: )

OK, I found some very good links for you about this company. They are more famous for threatening wage assignment than garnishing wages.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/about9161.html

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/about3377-27.html

Take a print out of all these pages and ask your friend to show it to his employer. It looks like he has not heard about the illegal activities of Sonic Payday based in Canada. Cash Transfer Center is one of their affiliates. There are many legal complaints against this company, violating the laws almost in every state. Your friend has to convince his employer that if he allows CTC to deduct money from his paycheck, he will be sending his money to a big scam company. Ask him to show statements that he has already paid $780 for a $350 loan. As per the laws in FL, he must have already paid the permissible charges.

Submitted by Flying Cats on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 12:52

Flying Cats

( Posts: 479 | Credits: )

I'm an HR rep, and let me tell you, wage assignments SUCK. It's interesting, I've been on my job 7 yrs, and I've only started getting these in the last year or so..And usually not for PDLS.

The tricky thing is, employers are NOT required by law to inform the employee of a wage assignment..Because they are voluntary, so the payroll dept would assume that the employee wanted this. I know this sounds crappy, but if I didn't have this board for knowledge about PDLS, I wouldn't realize that employers are frequently duped into digitally signing, and I may not tell the employee that there is an assignment. So in all fairness to the employer, it may be too late to revoke the assignment..Remember, checks are usually cut at least four days before payday, frequently more like a week or more.

Hopefully it's not too late for your freind..Once it's done it's done, there is nothing that they can do about it, because unfortunately, they are legal.

Submitted by finsfan13 on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 20:37

finsfan13

( Posts: 6919 | Credits: )

In Illinois we have a whole Act dedicated to the wage assignment. For us, a number of things need to be followed: 1) creditor needs to send a notice of intent at least 20 days before sending a demand for wages. The wording on the intent is prescribed by law, and it must be sent certified to the employer. 2) After 20 days, creditor can send a demand out; it's wording is prescribed too.

Interestingly enough --
To me, that would sound like a "digital" signature is no good in Illinois, since law specifically says it must be signed in person.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Fri, 02/23/2007 - 22:12

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )

hey fellas ctc is located in in the repulic of malta alo and im checking to see if there are licensed in the usa..

Submitted by on Sun, 02/25/2007 - 15:40

My emlpoyer received a "wage Assignment" from CTC. He told them he had no legal obligation to do this and they should go through the "wage garnishment" process, which is not permitted in the State of Florida. They said they would call me to try to get me to allow him to do it. I think not.

Submitted by on Wed, 03/14/2007 - 08:49

I know in OH once you notify your HR of these so called voluntary wage assignments that they can be held liable if they do let someone take your money...I sent my HR an email and a fax and got a confimation email back from my HR so if anything like this does happen to me my company will have to give me my money back

Submitted by Leah on Wed, 03/14/2007 - 09:58

Leah

( Posts: 2322 | Credits: )

How do I revoke a wage assignment if CTC is located in Malta and only has call centers in the US?

Submitted by on Tue, 03/20/2007 - 08:53

Isn't anyone reading anymore?

Submitted by on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 06:20

If this is the same company as Payday Avenue, I received a message on my machine from them telling me they do not have internet access so they can't email me and they also cannot use snail mail so they are going to continue calling me. Funny, since they got the letter I sent by email and are responding by phone to it. And they say they are an internet payday lender that doesn't have email?????

Submitted by Sassnlucy on Thu, 03/22/2007 - 18:50

Sassnlucy

( Posts: 2698 | Credits: )

I just got a settlement offer of 60 percent from CTC thru a company called Ecare. I have 30 days to respond. Sounds like a deal. BUT how do I know they will PIF after they get the money even though they say they are collecting for CTC?

Submitted by on Fri, 03/23/2007 - 06:55

Ecare sent a settlement with CTCs logo on it. They will accept money orders. If their attempt at Wage Assignment does not work and they have no other recourse I guess this is what they do. In Florida ones assets a protected from garnishment except for 25% of take home which can only be garnished with written and signed permission by the garnishee. I also reloaned with them multiple times so they made a bundle off of me already which might have something to do with it!

Submitted by on Mon, 03/26/2007 - 07:14

My Mistake. They will not accept money orders. After there letter to settle giving me thirty days to resond. 3 days later some one named Lisa calls my ref looking for me. I call her back and she starts with the demands saying that the thirty days is from first contact. I called back the 800 number in the email and get a pleasant person who agrees to take the settlement on the 15th of next month. The other one wanted it now or never. This one agreed to stop the calls until the due date. The first one refused. The head and the tail operate separately with these people.

Submitted by on Tue, 03/27/2007 - 08:43

Sorry, you need to add spellcheck

Submitted by on Tue, 03/27/2007 - 08:46