Skip to main content
index page

Bass & Associates: Are they a scam? Someone please help

Submitted by on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 18:27
Credits:
[Donate]

Hi, I had filed for Chapter 7, and all my debts were discharged a month or two ago.

Today, I received a letter from Bass & Associates regarding ECAST FOB HSBC BANK NEVADA, NA for Best Buy Co., Inc. and my account number. (Which the account has been closed since I had filed).

They wrote:
"We have been informed that your case has been discharged. Please be advised that our client is secured by a purchase money security interest in consumer goods. If you intend to voluntarily surrender the collateral please provide the information requested below: Name of contact person for making arrangements for return of collateral: And daytime phone number for contact person:

Sincerely, Jessica Giammarino
Admin. Assistant
Surrender Dept."

The account in question was opened in Jan/Feb of 2007. Went into collections a month prior to my filing. I have no idea what collateral they are talking about, unless they are talking about the items purchased on credit. (Which the majority of those I don't even have as they were gifts for others before I fell on hard times).

I am trying to get into contact with my lawyer, but as it's the weekend I probably won't hear from him until Monday.

If someone can tell me what their experience with them is, I'd be much appreciated. I've been looking at other posts, but I've not found one yet that has to do with a company. For the most part it seems to deal with pay day lenders.

This letter was sent from their Tuscon, AZ location.

Thank you in advance for any help!

I had three letter sent from Bass too. Today they actually called my home asking me to call them back. I called my attorney and he said he would just ignore it. It's kind of scary though. I think I had a little over $2,000 on my best buy card for a tv, computer and monitor. Hopefully, we'll hear more solutions.

Submitted by on Thu, 12/18/2008 - 10:45

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

My understanding from my experience with collections and law is that usually they want you to call them because they want to scare you into thinking that you still need to pay them. They want to get you on the phone and get you to admit that you have items and then tell you they are coming for them unless you pay them... then you will freak out and arrange a payment. It's a good strategy for them because you just got rid of all your other debt so they can probably corner you into paying them something each month.

The reality is, I don't know anyone who has ever actually had anyone show up and take back the stuff that was bought - unless it is furniture bought with that furniture company's store card and that store comes to get it -- or it's an expensive item like a car... What is a company going to do with a used washing machine? What could they even sell it for? Probably nothing. I would ignore them. Worst case scenario, they show up to take something -- but I'd bet you they don't. It's not worth it..... unless you can think of something big and expensive that you bought -- and even then, how can they prove that you have it unless you admit you still have it -- which if you have something big and valuable, you were supposed to list it as an asset on your ch 7 paperwork... so if it isn't listed as an asset on your paperwork, they have no way of knowing if you pawned it so you could eat or put it in a yard sale to keep the power on... ignore them -- they will not do a thing

Submitted by on Thu, 12/18/2008 - 18:12

The agreement that YOU signed shows that you grant whoever purchase money security interest. Yes I got the same thing and did the homework. When it comes down to it YOU ARE STEALING!!!! You should try and pay something. That is just decent. You and I should not have extend that much, but we did. Own up!

Submitted by on Sat, 05/21/2011 - 22:04

Just received a letter from them (Tucson AZ) saying I owe $4194 on an account that was BK7 discharged in 1999. No reaff was ever signed. What's up with this?:?:

Submitted by on Mon, 06/06/2011 - 13:45

first off since you still have proof this was discharged in BK over 10yrs ago.fire off an FOAD letter.send it certified mail return receipt.

Submitted by paulmergel on Mon, 06/06/2011 - 14:29

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

We'll do. Cheers. :cool:

Submitted by on Mon, 06/06/2011 - 14:51