Skip to main content
index page

cemetery plot

Submitted by on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 20:22
Credits:
[Donate]

My dad passed away many months ago. His wishes were to be cremated, half his furneral was paid by the state, the other half from cc cash advances. I have recently filed bk chapt 7, my petition is not completed yet, but I am now being pressured by his siblings and mother since I am next of kin, to buy him a plot at a cemetery. He did not have life insurance. I apparently do not have any $$ b/c I am filing. I brought my dad home thinking that I would keep him and maybe bury him with me someday, but this is not good for his family. They want a place to visit him. Long quest short: Can I legally buy a plot now in the middle of everything? At this point I do not want to do anything to jepardize my case. I would ask my lawyer but he won't be in until monday, and this is an unbearable weight on my mind. Thanks in advance.

I don't know the answer to that question, but would you even be able to buy a plot? Do you have money enough? I know that when we filed, our attorney asked us if we had any cash, and if it was a significant amount, then it would have to be listed as an asset. And any money in our savings and checking accounts had to be listed. If you do have the funds, and if those funds are exempted (meaning that you get to keep them), then it seems to me that you should be able to spend them on a plot. But that's just a guess. Hopefully, someone else with more knowledge will be along to help you further.

Submitted by alias1958 on Fri, 08/22/2008 - 21:08

alias1958

( Posts: 1230 | Credits: )

Welcome to the Community :D I am not real sure about that either. However, if your family is pressuring you, why can't they chip in and buy it, instead of worrying you? Just a thought- may take some pressure off you. Someone will be along with more info about the bankruptcy. good luck!!..karen

Submitted by Bossy4455 on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 08:33

Bossy4455

( Posts: 5854 | Credits: )

I know this must be a difficult situation for you. Hugs!

Sometimes people assume things, and I believe this is the situation in your case. I think they assume that all his final expenses were covered/paid for already.

If it were me, I would write a letter to everyone involved and say something like - although we all wish to have my father buried so that all could visit him, given my current financial situation, AT THIS TIME, I personally cannot afford to purchase a plot for him. His last wishes were to be creamated and I have brought him home with me and you all are welcome to visit him. Since he is a part of us all, another option would be if all parties involved could contribute to the purchase of a burial plot for him, that way, any of us could visit him when we want to be near him.

Hope this helps.

Submitted by desperatelyseekingsanity on Sat, 08/23/2008 - 11:33

desperatelyseekingsanity

( Posts: 1129 | Credits: )