Skip to main content
index page

unfortunate situation

Submitted by bluecob on Fri, 08/05/2011 - 19:30
Credits:
[Donate]

I became chronically ill about three years ago and my health declined rapidly. I almost ended up in a coma, and by the time I was finally diagnosed, it was discovered I have a metabolic disease that is progressive, incurable and there is no proven treatment. I have been unable to work for the past 2 1/2 years and have been fighting with Social Security to obtain disability. I currently receive a little under $400 monthly for living expenses from social services (with a work exemption due to my health) and food stamps (the max allowed by my state -NY). I am at the mercy of my roommate and best friend for the remainder of living expenses that the $400 doesn't cover. I am not spending my money on anything other than bills, and it's been that way since I stopped working.

The problem is that my parents (who are well-off, but who offer zero assistance financially or otherwise) refused to complete FAFSA info for school and I took out private loans (that they cosigned on). Since I've been out of school on medical leave on and off, my loans have gone into repayment and accrued interest. I have nearly $95K in debt now. Sallie Mae offered to forgive my loan due to my disability, but they required documentation be completed by my parents (cosigner). My parents refused, so the account remains open and delinquent.

Do I even *have* any options? I am 25, have been unable to finish my degree, and spend most of my time in and out of doctors' offices. This was completely and totally unexpected :-(

Is there a feasible way out of this situation? I am called incessantly by loan companies telling me to ask family or friends for money. Whatever amount of money I could give them isn't enough. I've offered, and they've declined (granted my offers are small). I am supposed to be on nearly $100 worth of OTC supplements and medications that my insurance doesn't cover each month and I can't pay for that either so my condition continues to deteriorate. I was considering asking a debt management program for help, but some of the research I've done regarding private student loans says that there is nothing to be done for that kind of debt.

I'd appreciate any advice. Thank you in advance.

Are your parents aware that when these default you will both be sued?? The guarantors will be chomping at the bit to sue on these loans if your parents are that well off. Property liens, wage garnishment, bank account levies....they will pursue the easiest one to collect from, and that will be your cosignors. No bankruptcy either...well you might qualify under undue hardship, but your parents wont. If they see assets, they will sue quickly.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Fri, 08/05/2011 - 19:43

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Found this http://www.fastweb.com/financial-aid/articles/2141-death-and-disability-may-now-get-you-out-of-paying-loans

Quote:

The new discharge provisions give students peace of mind, knowing that if a tragedy should strike, their families and cosigners will be treated compassionately.
The changes are retroactive, applying to all borrowers since the start of the Smart Option private student loan program in early 2009. (The changes do not apply to other private student loans, such as the Signature student loan.)

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Fri, 08/05/2011 - 20:00

SOAPLADY

Private loans are horrific...that is why federal is always best to take out. Those can be cancelled. For whatever reason, your parents made a bad decision and now they will have to live with the consequences.

Your income due to your disability will be exempt...they will probably end up suing you but will get nothing from you. Do not co-mingle your bank account funds with anyone else's funds.

There really isnt anything you can do...except tell your parents they are legally responsible to pay. If they want to save their credit, they will start paying before the loans default.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 08/06/2011 - 10:06

SOAPLADY