Skip to main content
index page

recently widowed..Debt question

Submitted by jeffro on Tue, 06/02/2015 - 06:09
[Donate]

My Dad just passed away and my mother was in the dark regarding finances.. I have a few questions if anybody can help..1) Apparently a lot of his credit card debt is in her name also.. She did not receive much life insurance, and really cannot afford to pay off the credit card debt.. I am thinking of just having her not pay the credit card debt.. Will the credit card companies settle with her? THere is no estate as they were co-owners of the house.. Her credit score is not an issue as she does not need credit any longer.. Can they come after her life insurance money? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Is she party to the debt or simply authorized? In other words, did he add her to the cards are did she apply for the credit with him? If she was authorized, she has no legal liablity to pay the debt.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sat, 07/02/2016 - 11:02

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

As this is the case of hardship and in this case credit card companies will surely settle with her. If you have the ability to negotiate with your creditor then you can take step, otherwise you can also take the services of debt negotiating companies. Avoid doing business with any debt settlement company that promises to settle your debt if they:
• Charges any fees before it settles your debts
• Touts a “new government program” to bail out personal credit card debt
• Guarantees it can make your unsecured debt go away
• Tells you to stop communicating with your creditors, but doesn’t explain the serious consequences
• Tells you it can stop all debt collection calls and lawsuits
• Guarantees that your unsecured debts can be paid off for pennies on the dollar

MOD NOTE...REMOVED ADVERTISING LINK

Submitted by elisa.gracedd on Fri, 06/03/2016 - 23:25

elisa.gracedd

( Posts: 7 | Credits: )