Skip to main content
index page

Massachusetts Tax Assessment

Submitted by chosenonex on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 13:01
Credits:
[Donate]

I wasn't sure which forum to put this in, so I figured here was my best bet. I did our taxes back in February online (TaxAct I think). I received a letter back in March saying we were being assessed. It was from Massachusetts concerning my wifes' taxes from working there. We got married in June last year and she moved down to Florida with me in October. She worked in Mass until about early July and didn't start working in Florida until December. She never had a single problem with her taxes when she was living there year round.

I tried to get all of the paperwork together they wanted by the deadline. (Tax copies, paycheck copies, marriage certificate copy, social security card copies) but was missing a few things. I finally said screw it, the worst they would do is keep our taxes. (It was originally 400, but I think that was a TaxAct screw up. When I went back to look if over again, it said around 197.) I figured that ended up being the problem but it was too late to get them the papers they wanted.

So today, we get a letter in the mail from them again. I figured it was the papers saying they kept the money. Nope. Apparently now we owe them 161 in back taxes. I don't know how, she paid enough taxes out of her checks. I plan to appeal. Any advice from anyone that's dealt with this? I just think it's ridiculous.

I dealt with problems like this when I was working for HR Block all the time. You must file your taxes in every state you have income in. You wife should have filed her income taxes for the money she earned during the time she lived in Mass. and then filed an income tax return for any income she earned in Florida with the state of Florida. That's just the way the US tax system works.

Submitted by OVLG Attorney on Fri, 06/04/2010 - 16:07

OVLG Attorney

( Posts: 511 | Credits: )

Another quick question about it. I'm in the middle of filing my appeal on the taxes they say we owe. A question I have is about the letter they sent me. This is only the second letter I've gotten saying we owe taxes.

"The Massachusetts Department of Revenue has determined that you did not pay the full amount due on your prior bill. The amount now due for the liability detailed on page three of this notice is $191.58. If you fail to pay the full amount, DOR will take action to collect the amount owed up to and including levying your bank account or wages."

I'm probably going to go ahead and start paying it off during the appeal since they're just going to keep adding on to it no matter what. (The original amount was $155.00 and they added on $1.93 in interest and $34.95 in penalties). I just think it's ridiculous they'd use strong language like that for just an assessment. I mean, if it was a debt collection agency, they couldn't even make a threat like that without getting a judgment first.

Submitted by chosenonex on Sat, 07/24/2010 - 11:50

chosenonex

( Posts: 63 | Credits: )