Skip to main content
index page

never admitted to school, tuition collection

Submitted by on Wed, 11/17/2010 - 13:58
Credits:
[Donate]

I had planned to get a special education teaching credential at university. I had planned to use financial aid, which I was eligible for, to pay the costs. I was told that I was eligible for financial aid. I completed all of the requirements the administration asked me to and was told I was admitted. I began taking classes.

Later I was denied financial aid because I was never admitted to the school. The administration tried to admit me, but they did no know the requirements. I appealed to sit in the classes while my financial aid was being held up. After taking two quarters of classes I was not able to be admitted or able to get financial aid.

Without admission I could not continue in the program nor receive the funds to pay for them. I wasted two quarters before I was told there was nothing they could do. I started from the beginning at a different university where there were no problems.

Evidently, I was charged for the three classes even though I was never admitted. I was not told of these charges until now.

Almost three years later I get my first contact from a collection agency stating that I need to pay for these classes or else face wage garnishment.

What legal recourse do I have? I do not want to pay five thousand dollars to receive nothing in return. I do not want to have to pay for somebody else's mistake. I have considered a suit for the lost wages due to graduating later.

I have nothing in writing at the moment, I was under the impression that I would never have to deal with those people again. I will be asking for everything today to be mailed to me. Obviously the appeals I made will be available. Each appeal stated the reasons concerning not being able to be admitted.

I did not know I was not admitted at first. 1. They told me I was admitted. I do not know if they have anything in writing stating that. I was told, later, by my student loan lender that I was not admitted. The school then confirmed this. Since I was taking classes I thought the matter would be straightened out. They thought the matter would be straightened out and allowed me to continue for a total of seven units.

As I stated before, I was not admitted because when they tried to admit me they did not know the requirements. I did, however, do everything I read in the student handbook to be admitted.

2. I took the classes by an appeal to the board. They allowed me to take classes while the matter was being taken care of. In the end, because of the delays, I was not able to be admitted for the third quarter.

3. I did receive a class schedule. Why do you ask?

Concerning another matter, I completed a masters degree program earlier with this university. I received an A from a professor for all three classes including the last class. I worked with teacher for a year. There was another paper mistake made by the university. I was never registered for the final class. I appealed for late registration and was granted it. The professor claimed he could not remember me. I still have the thesis I received an A on, but no supporting documents besides my credit for the first two claases to show I was there. The damages in this case amount to about three thousand dollars a year in lost wages due to not having a diploma for the degree.

I want to hire a lawyer regardeless of whether I will lose my case. It is not so much about the money as it is the principal. I have heard many complaints of this nature from other students and feel they are negligent in their paperwork. I have tried to fix this matter through their appeals. They told me there was nothing they could do about either matter.

Submitted by Autism Teacher on Thu, 11/18/2010 - 06:56

Autism Teacher

( Posts: | Credits: )