Skip to main content
index page

Allied Interstate

Submitted by on Mon, 02/28/2011 - 10:58
Credits:
[Donate]

Allied Interstate has been calling me at work several times a week, and has called my brother twice. In all cases, they refuse to identify themselves as a debate collection agency.

This involves a default on a student loan, which perplexes me as I was on an income contingent repayment plan with zero payments. If the loans weren't repaid after 25 years it was supposed to be dissolved.

At one point, Allied Interstate offered to resolve the matter if I sent medical proof of my disability, but threatened that if I applied for SSI they could take that away.

I checked with Social Security and the gov't CAN'T deny or take away SSI benefits for defaulting on a student loan. Regular Social Security disability yes, not SSI.

Needless to say, since Allied Interstate lied about this, I didn't send any medical information to them AT ALL. My understanding is that in NYS it is illegal for a debate collection agency to call people at work, or their relatives, and without identitying themselves. I have never heard of a collection agency asking for medical verification of a disability.

Is there anyway I can take legal action against them? At a minimum, get them to stop calling me at work and my relatives?

Yes your SSI CAN be garnished for student loans.....that is not a threat. Since this is a federal debt, the guarantor can and will garnish social security and social security disabiltity. You obviously didnt ask the right questions. Google it...you will see lots of cases.

Since you are working, you are obviously not disabled. They can garnish your wages 15% without a court order. You would not meet the definition of totally and permanently disabled.

It is NOT illegal to call anyone at work. Never has been. It is against the FDCPA for them to call you if you ask them not to.

CA's CANNOT identify themselves as collection agencies...that would be disclosure.

And yes, student loans CAN ask for medical information if you are claiming disability, which if you are working you would not qualify for.

AI has done nothing wrong. You have made several assumptions about collections that are totally wrong. I would suggest you cooperate with them/.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Mon, 02/28/2011 - 14:24

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )