Skip to main content
index page

Whoa! And now I am impressed with the Obama Administration!

Submitted by Shazzers on Sun, 03/29/2009 - 16:23
Credits:
[Donate]

Well, I think I am. I just read that the CEO of GM has been asked to step down immediately at the request of the White House!

The American auto industry has been in deep doo doo for one heck of a long time. I'll tell ya what, it's pretty bad when foreign auto makers are out selling the auto's in the U.S. For crap sakes, who can blame anyone for purchasing vehicles that are less expensive, have better warranties and gets WAY better gas mileage than the American made automobiles. It's 'bout time the U.S started forcing the U.S. auto industry to get off their butts and DO SOMEthing besides produce for luxury! Hmmmmmmm, if GM wants more bail out money, they are going to have to start walking the line!

This IS good news!! I think Obama has been pretty 'upfront' with issues. He even admits, "the solution isn't going to happen overnite", ( talking about the Economy mostly).

Submitted by sdchargers_63 on Sun, 03/29/2009 - 16:31

sdchargers_63

( Posts: 1798 | Credits: )

frankly i have been super mad about bailing these guys out.?? Any other company in the us has to go bankrupt why is it that the banks and auto industry keeps getting bailed out?? i under stand jobs and sort, but its getting a little rediculas.?? Frankly no one can afford to purchase american, atleast were i live unless your are purchasing a used one.?? it makes mathamatical sense, spend 40,000 american with 5 year warranty and a gas hog, or spend 10,000?? on a fuel efficiant car with 100,000 mile warranty.?? Gee if i was in the market for a new car its pretty easy what i would purchase

Submitted by love_my_things on Mon, 03/30/2009 - 06:40

love_my_things

( Posts: 1434 | Credits: )

Bail me out! i have debt that i cant pay!?? Were do i get in line! Bail me out! BAIL ME OUT BAIL ME OUT!
Did you hear that the p0rn industry is looking for bail out now??? they create JOBS they are a multi billion dollar industry.?? Some one quick bail them out I NEED MY P0RN AND SO DOES MY HUSBAND! We gotta keep these girls in jobs!
give me a break

Submitted by love_my_things on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 06:59

love_my_things

yeah that was a joke wasnt it?? spread the wealth!?? i sure am gonna get rich here and buy a mansion on the hill because of my extra 15.00 a week we will be recieving.
Frankly this whole thing just stinks like yesterdays garbage. And frankly i dont want the money of the guy who actually did well for himself making 500,000 a year who spent thousands on education and made something of himself.?? Isnt that the american dream??? work hard live well? So these guys did what they had to do to make a good life, now they have to give it back.
Frankly in my area our family makes the average income 30,000-40,000 a year.?? We are not getting rich but it would really anger me to have to give some of it to say someone making 20,000 a year or less just because.
??

Submitted by love_my_things on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 10:23

love_my_things

Quote:

It's 'bout time the U.S started forcing the U.S. auto industry to get off their butts
??????????????????
The way capitalism is SUPPOSED to work is that if you offer a quality product at a reasonable price, PEOPLE BUY. I am very very very much against this disgusting, and I almost want to say blasphemous, "bailout" nonsense. It's like throwing raw meat at a rabid dog to calm him down! Incredibly stupid, and so insulting to the hardworking American that I can barely find words through my gritted teeth.
The way it *should* work is to LET THEM FALL. Totoya, Mazda, and Honda are far better and more realiable machines.
I admit I fell for the Obama hype for a little while there (but I was a Kucinich supporter), swept up in the wave of denial-fueled euphoria. Until and unless we dump these bas-tards we are done for. Time for a third party revolution and a serious pink-slip swiffle down the halls of our ALLEGEDLY representative governement! We are very nearly a fuedal oligarchy! (Representative of the PEOPLE, not the corrupt brigands - oops I mean lobbyists.)

The people need to wake up soon and vote in REAL candidates for change like Kucinich or Ron Paul.
The CEO of GM should be asked to step down by the American people NOT BUYING THEIR CARS!!!!! That's what *I* was taught about capatalism and competition! You can't whine like a little baby because your product is a waste of hard earned money! Americans themselves would *much* rather buy local, but *NOONE* wants to just throw their money away!
Sorry for the rant, I really despise this disgusting "bailout"/"stimulus" package garbage, and the more I think about it the angrier I get. What a sell-out. We are just serfs in all but name.

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 22:15

Chrys Henderson

( Posts: 2538 | Credits: )

???I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our
liberties than standing armies???if the American people ever allow
private banks to control the issue of currency...the banks and
corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of
all property until their children will wake up homeless on the
continent that their fathers conquered.???
??? Thomas Jefferson

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Wed, 04/01/2009 - 23:18

Chrys Henderson

chrys, im impressed with your knowledge, I wish i new more. I will hear something like your quotes and forget them later.?? I wish i could remember stuff like this.
From what i understand without the bailouts the manufacturers would have had to file bk,and regroup.?? They wouldnt have shut down.?? Whats wrong with that? millions of businesses do it everyday K mart, big lots, etc?? Alot of these companies do better know than ever.

Submitted by love_my_things on Thu, 04/02/2009 - 03:48

love_my_things

Actually, knowledge and memory are two different things. I have a very bad memory, but at the same time I am a walking encyclopedia so I think of situations in a very multifaceted way - both from book knowledge and experience, and then I research in order to back it up. In some way, you can call it an appeal to authority, but on another level it enforces the message, especially such contentious and controversial messages as this thread.

So, I can't remember all these quotes either. Have you ever been at a small party/get-together and got on a roll of joke delivery? Some people have an impressive memory so they have a handy list at hand. Not me. I struggle to remember just a handful.

So, if you have a great memory but are not naturally intelligent, you can still get university degrees and a promising career. I have known a Princeton educated psychologist (he even taught there) that didn't know beans about *people*. I don't care how many anecdotes you can tell me, I have quite a list of them myself, thank you (referring to this type). Many management types are like that, too. I'm sure you've met at least a few. MBAs from Harvard or wherever, they always have an array of stats and anecdotes of what other people did in order to beat you over the head with them and make you look and feel small. Of course, this type is aware of his inadequacy and is compensating for it by acting like an a*hole so no one will - hopefully - figure out his/her inadequate intelligence. Incidentally, this is a reason why Mensa suggests that you do not note Mensa membership on your resume if you have it, as you will likely be the most intelligent person in the company - even if you don't have any degrees and they have a list.

But anyway, I just look on Google for most of the specifics. For instance, in a personal conversation I will say such and such, and if it flies in the face of commonly accepted belief, you sometimes get challenged on it. Without a good memory, you cannot say "well such and such respected author, considered an authority on the subject, says 'blah, blah' so I must at least be on the right track."

I find them because I know what I am looking for, and I spot things fast. (Although combing through law codes and attorney blogs can be time consuming, I have taken 3 hours on a post or two.)

Yes, Chapter 13 is only reorganization. They would not file for bankruptcy because it will affect the stock market and since gamblers - oops, I mean investors - have a stranglehold on nearly everything it seems (it isn't all the media and the banks)! The stock market is an unmitigated disaster and should be closed immediately.

Anyway, if it is off the top of my head I will not be so specific about quotes, I will just say that Ben Franklin said that a penny saved is a penny earned, for example. A proclamation requires documentation!

A large part of what is necessary for intelligence is curiosity and open-mindedness, so please give yourself a lot more credit! You are more intelligent than the average American, and it shows because your life is reasoned out by you and that not only requires self confidence, but also natural intelligence. (And it is a muscle, you can exercise it. For a brilliant and artistic/entertaining way to stretch your brain you only need one book: the Pulitzer Prize winning "Godel, Escher, Bach" by Douglas Hofstadter.)

And another good trick is to write well crafted sentences. It really helps. Even if I am in a chatroom, I don't go for all those shortcuts and run-on sentences. The most I do is ignore the caps and abbreviate a little! But its a psychological reinforcement with a feedback loop. Crafting sentences well not only looks good and impressive, it also challenges you to learn not only grammar and etiquette (we could use a LOT more ladies and gentlemen, and they usually communicate well), but you become more concerned with the accuracy of what you are writing.

Now, that said, I am not used to writing in a forum, this is a new experience for me, and in time I will hone my skills which will help on so many levels. But I like expanding my boundaries, a day spent without learning something is a day wasted.

Chin up!! :D

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Fri, 04/03/2009 - 04:51

Chrys Henderson

I don't agree with any of these bail outs. I think that these companies should have been allowed to fall, I understand that it immediatly hurts Americans, but I think the lessons learned would be invaluable to the long term health of our nation. As a nation we are at our best in the worst of time but that is also times for very bad things to happen even if they look pretty and shiney on the outside.

I don't don't agree with the government buying into business or being able to run and make decisions for any company other than government and state business. This is a scary thing that's going on and while the short sight looks good it's the long sight that is a huge mess.

Submitted by FYI on Sun, 04/05/2009 - 09:07

FYI

( Posts: 1950 | Credits: )

Quote:

All in all Obama is trying to make a difference and is being pro-active about it instead of being reactive like previous presidents. We will see what results come from this in a year or two, but in the mean time everyone can make shallow judgements be it positive or negative.

So just to see if I am understanding what you are saying. He is being "PROactive" correct? if that is the case then why is he bailing out all of these banks, companies, thinking he is going to FIX healthcare, and so on. If you ask me it seems he is being pretty damn reactive.

And the things he WANTS to be proactive will pretty much do away with the way our govenment is suppose to be.

Submitted by Count_Vlad on Mon, 04/06/2009 - 06:35

Count_Vlad

( Posts: 356 | Credits: )

yea me too, did you hear that some of these banks want to give the money back and the gov wont let them? The obama administation wants thier hands into it thats why they want to have a say as to how the banks run business. They referred to it on fox news yesterday say you take a loan out at the bank for 50,000 and you come into some money next month and pay it off, and the bank says no you cant your not allowed. How is that right? Thats our money they want to give back and the gov says no.

They want to be able to hire and fire who ever they want, when they want. They want to be able to control what types of loans the banks give, or how much they give. And frankly its scaring me how much control they are starting to have. When the president of the united states can fire a ceo of a business, what will be next?

Not that im impressed with this guy he fired, but you must be concerned as to how much power the government is getting these days.

Submitted by love_my_things on Tue, 04/07/2009 - 09:44

love_my_things

Well call me an old fuddy-duddy but I cannot be impressed when someone in such a position of responsibility actually does something, well, responsible. If he fires the CEOs of the major credit card companies, THEN I would be impressed!!! :) I'm still impressed with Reagan when he fired the air traffic controllers way back when (and, no, I am not a fan of Reagan, I find him largely responsible for the current financial industry stranglehold).

--
The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. -- Cicero~55 BC

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Fri, 04/10/2009 - 04:53

Chrys Henderson

Well now that you put it that way, i would agree! listen i had this guy tell a poster the other day that he was robbing the creditors by not paying his credit card bill. Dont you think 30% interest is robbery??? i do be live there should be some serious regulation, im just not sure how to go about it without hurting other business owers rights. Im concerned that at some point that these rules and regulations would effect joe the plummer and how much he charges to fix a leaky faucet. It all seems to just flow down hill.

Submitted by love_my_things on Fri, 04/10/2009 - 14:31

love_my_things

I most certainly do. I think there should be a 12% cap for accounts over 5 years, and 18% for those under 5 years.

In Buddhism there is the concept of the preta, translated from the Japanese & Chinese as "hungry ghost". This is a creature with massive distended belly, very skinny legs, very skinny throat, and small mouth. They are always ravenous and can never fill their enormous bellies. This monster is the perfect iconographic representation of these financial vampires such as usurious credit cards, unethical collection agencies, and the vast majority of PDLs.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungry_ghost"

I don't understand how telling credit cards that they cannot charge unethical and usurious interest rates translates to Joe the Plumber.

And, speaking of trickle-down, it was the Democrat controlled House during the Reagan years that introduced and passed massive tax cuts for the very wealthy. They naively believed that if you give a wealthy man more wealth, he will use that wealth to build industry and create new jobs. He certainly wouldn't use it to buy overpriced homes and cars and Senators! Oh no, god forbid!

The only thing that really trickled-down was the level of quality of goods sold. Now we get machine stamped plastic goods that are little more than garbage and last about as long without falling apart. The concept of Quality has been thrown out the window and replaced with quantity. Every once in awhile the quality is lessened even more in a "New Improved!" version that is even closer to garbage than product, and with a higher price! And market saturation! You really must have this! Imagine how delighted your children would be! I care for you so much I'll give you this cheap plastic piece of crap just to prove it! ....

Oh, I could go on.....

Submitted by Chrys Henderson on Fri, 04/10/2009 - 22:51

Chrys Henderson