Skip to main content
index page

Help Please

Submitted by spatterson_40 on Sat, 11/08/2008 - 14:01
Credits:
[Donate]

I need help from anyone out there that can help me with a brake problem. OK here it goes - we changed the calipers on both the front sides of the car. We replaced the brake line on the driver's side of the car. All brakes but the driver's side work. What would make only one brake not work properly? I do not know what to do. I can not afford to put too much more money into this car. I am at my wits end. Please help!!!!

did you bleed the line properly?that is key to replacing calipers.

Submitted by paulmergel on Sat, 11/08/2008 - 16:34

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

if no other problems like the lines are ok,then yes the master cylinder it is.

Submitted by paulmergel on Sat, 11/08/2008 - 17:57

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

[quote=spatterson_40]Thanks paul - I will be ordering one online tomorrow and hopefully that will solve the problem. It is hard to get to work when you don't have a car. Need to get this problem fixed. I have been riding my motorcycle and it is getting very cold.

I need to get my car fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/right][/quote]

Was the right/rear brake working previously? If so, I'd lean toward air in the line. Have you flushed the lines out?? Gonna have to do that eventually, anyway.

What part of the country do you live in, and what bike do you ride? I'm still riding my VS1400 daily. And I'm in Vermont!

Submitted by unclewulf on Sun, 11/09/2008 - 07:56

unclewulf

( Posts: 3172 | Credits: )

Unc - we have bled the lines many times - one at a time and all 4 at the same time. I am not sure if the rear wheel was working or not.

Anyways, I live in Northern NY (canadian border north) very close to vermont so we have the same type of weather. It only takes me about 4 hours driving to get to vermont border. It is very cold but you have to do what you have to do in order to get by I guess.

Submitted by spatterson_40 on Sun, 11/09/2008 - 08:31

spatterson_40

( Posts: 400 | Credits: )

I have not been able to afford cold riding gear so I just dress in layers. Maybe next year I will beable to get some. In fact I was going to ride to work today but it called for Lake Effect Snow so I thought that would not be a good idea.

Update on the brake problem - Damn I am good. I had 3 grown men working on this problem and I (a woman) kept telling them it was the master cylinder. So finally my husband went out and got a MC and viola the brakes work now. Do not ever underestimate the power of a woman on a mission.

I am so relieved becuase I could not afford to get a new car. I do not need the car payment right now.

Submitted by spatterson_40 on Mon, 11/10/2008 - 15:56

spatterson_40

( Posts: 400 | Credits: )