Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Student Loans and Education Debt forums

My daughter received maybe $200,000 in student loan

member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 0

My daughter received maybe $200,000 in student loans over 8 years. She is bi-polar and she might not be unable to hold down a job that would allow her the amount of money that she would need to pay that back. She hasn't applied for SSI yet. Does a disabled person have to pay back a student loan?

Sorry to know about your daughter's condition. Have you consulted a psychiatrist for your daughter because there are really good medicines for the bipolar patients. I can even suggest you some doctors if you need help.

Coming back to your main question. Read what Jay Fleischman (a top-notch student loan lawyer) has said about this issue recently:

A borrower can be discharged from his or her obligation to repay a Direct Loan, FFEL Program loan, or Federal Perkins Loan Program loan, or complete a TEACH Grant service obligation due to total and permanent disability.

Your daughter needs to prove that she is totally and permanently disabled.

Sub: #1 posted on Tue, 10/09/2018 - 04:36

David Martin David Martin

(Posts: 394 | Credits: )

Yes, it's called Total and Permanent Disability (TPD) Discharge. It is applicable for federal student loan only.

Sub: #2 posted on Mon, 10/15/2018 - 01:22

tiarajoseph11 tiarajoseph11

(Posts: 470 | Credits: )

There are federal grants for disabled people to discharge the student loan. Search on the internet to get detailed information regarding it.

No there are not....quit giving out incorrecct info.

Sub: #3 posted on Thu, 12/27/2018 - 21:48

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

Page loaded in 0.942 seconds.