Skip to main content

Dept of Education

Submitted by on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 10:10
Posts: 202330

The Dept of Education took my whole refund to pay towards a defaulted school loan. I am unemployed AND to top that off, the owner of the house that I am renting had sold it and I am in a real financial hardship. Is there anything at all I can do to get it back? Please, if you don't know and are just guessing, don't respond.

Normally a hardship appeal should be done prior to your filing of your return and the hardship intercept. You can contact to the DOE but it will be a crap shoot. I have heard of returns being refunded but they can take 90-120 days due to the hearing and appeals process.

Were you not aware this was going to happen?? You should have received a notice last fall of their intent.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sun, 02/10/2013 - 16:51


( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )