Skip to main content
index page

Wages garnished on behalf of DOE even though I'm below poverty line?

Submitted by on Sun, 03/20/2011 - 02:46
Credits:
[Donate]

Hello.

I have a few questions all stemming from a single issue I've been trying to take care of lately; my formerly reconsolidated student loans that have been in default for the past several years...

What is the likelihood that I will not get any of my tax refund this year if a garnishment has already begun being withheld from my weekly paycheck?

HOW LONG does the review of a "Request For Hearing" form usually take, and WHAT IS the likelihood of getting the garnishment order lifted if I can prove that it costs me $900 a month to live at the very minimum, but the garnishments are causing me to be short of that by at least $33 a month?

I could write forever about what has happened regarding this issue, but I don't want to waste your time, or lose track of what I need to figure out the most. Thusly, I will spare you most of the details of my situation for now. A quick note for now though; I recently applied for my second re-consolidation through the DOE and was rejected in a very vague letter that I need to follow up on this Monday. There is some basic info about my situation below. Any advice you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated. Is there any other information I can provide you with to make my current position more clear?

I live in the state of CA, made about $10,000 last year for the whole year and right now I make less than $900 a month due to the garnishment, and truly cannot pay even a dollar of this debt at this point in my life.
I currently owe around $18,000 and have been in default for several years.
The IRS has been contacted to verify my employment status and informed of potential action against my tax refund, but are not exactly forthcoming with any information that would let me know if I could get a refund right now or not. (my primary purpose here isn't just my refund, it just makes sense to tackle the tax issue and garnishment at the same time IMO)

Thanks for your time, have a splendid day. =)

Your consolidation was denied because you are being garnished. If you made no voluntary payments last year, your taxes will be taken.

Your income is above the minimum required to be garnished. I would highly suggest you seek other employment or a part time job to supplement your income.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Sun, 03/20/2011 - 03:30

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

Wow. I honestly did not expect such a quick response, especially on the weekend. Thank you very much.

I had a couple more questions, but I'm just about to head out the door to work. Hopefully I'll get a chance to ask them here once I get home tonight.

Thank you again. Keep up the good work. =)

Submitted by on Sun, 03/20/2011 - 10:35

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )