Skip to main content
index page

abt tax and wage garnish

Submitted by on Tue, 05/03/2011 - 22:38
Credits:
[Donate]

i never received a garnishment letter however my loans have been in default(federal).I've been only working 2 days a wk and can't get more and have all my expenses to deal with.I file for my returns and been wanted to pay off some of my bills and next think i know my money was taken away.I only received a letter from them saying that its possible that they go after my assets on friday and monday i received a letter saying they took my money.I am so heart broken and want to know what i can do to get all or some back,i know its a loan not free money but i am unable to pay for it now since i only make $300 a wk.pls help!

You earn more than what is required per week to be garnished...they will get 15% of you disposable pay. It is also very rare that they will return the tax offset. You should have consolidated with the Direct Loan program under the ICR or IBR program....that would have made your payments very affordable.

You need to find more work to increase your income even if it outside your field.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Wed, 05/04/2011 - 03:25

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

You will not get any of your refund back. If you call the loan company and work out other arrangements with them the garnishment will stay in place until they release it. Which means if it's not paid off by next year, your refund will be garnished then also. My suggestion is to get another job. Why are you only work two days a week? It doesn't appear they are garnishing your payroll checks but that appears to be on the horizon. Call them. Avoiding the situation will only make it worse.

Submitted by J L B on Wed, 05/04/2011 - 06:40

J L B

( Posts: 329 | Credits: )

i am only working 2 days a wk because i needed it for school reasons,however it didnt help me and i cant still get my full time or benefits back.this is the first time they ever taken my return and i depended on it so badly because i am behind on my mortgage and other pymts.i just call the department of ed and they refered me to the CA saying i would have to deal with them now.when i called the CA this guy said to help me i have to either pay the whole thing or make pymt arrangements.He went to ask me where i work at i was a little sceptical to reveal that since i dont want to be guarnished there too.i only get 300/wk.do i have to give that info in order for him to collect financial info as he said it was necessary.When i said i call you back he threaten to send my info for garnishment and put his supervisor on the phone.i dont have any money and iam late on my mortgage for 2years thank God i have a private and understanding lender otherwise i would be on the street.Am i still able to consolidate,is it my best bet and what do u recommand.i am so torned apart and need all the help i can get.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/04/2011 - 14:54

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

You dont have to give it to them but they will find you either way.

If you cant get more than 2 days at your current job, you really need to be looking for some other type of employment to fill your other days of the week. A lot of people work 2 jobs, myself included. If the collection agency does decide to pursue garnishment, you are not going to get a lot of sympathy with the luxury of working 2 days a week. Another job more than likely wont pay as well as your union job, but it is money...another 20 hours a week at a $10 job is another $700-$800 per month.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Thu, 05/05/2011 - 18:12

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

i am an LPN and work 12 hours shift so i am supposed to only work 3 days a week plus one 8hr shift in a month.its not like i work 14hrs a wk.i went P/T because i needed to finish that semester unfortunately it didnt work.I've been looking for my ft back or at least get another job but with the bad econmy noone is hiring.But still i want to know what are my options and what i can do to stop them from further guarnish.if it is possible to direct me as to what i can or should do i will really appreciate because i kinda wait for your answers to call the CA otherwise idk what to do and dont want to do the wrong thing.Thanks so much

Submitted by on Thu, 05/05/2011 - 23:55

Does anyone think that i should i should put some on credit cards though they may have a big inerest rate just to diminish the amount because it will take me my whole life to pay for $30.0000 and also give my returns every year.just looking at all the possible options available.

Submitted by on Fri, 05/06/2011 - 15:32

hello soap laddy did you loose interest in my questions? i was still seeking advise from you and all the other experts as i am a real novist at this a very worrysome at this present time,just though i could use your expertise in this matter.

Submitted by on Mon, 05/09/2011 - 19:20