Skip to main content
index page

can't contact my debtor

Submitted by fvuong on Wed, 05/18/2011 - 21:54
[Donate]

Hello,

I recently missed a bunch of payments on my private student loan and now when I contact my original loan provider, they said that my account has been "purchased by a 3rd party". They refuse to give tell me the name of the 3rd party or any contact info.

I may be in default, and I want to resolve the issue, but I can't seem to track down my loan. My original loan maker has also stopped calling me, but the supposed 3rd party has not called me either.

Unfortunately, I recently changed my phone number so I dont know if any one has contacted my old number. I have updated my new phone number with the old loan maker as well as with the bank and everywhere I could think of, but so far it's been 3 months and I have not received any contact from the mysterious 3rd party (which I think is some collection agency).

So how do I track down my loan and find out with whom I can resolve it?

By the way, my original loan maker is Education Finance Partner, which got bought by ACS. Currently, ACS is the one that tells me my account has been purchased by the 3rd party whose info they won't reveal to me.
Thanks

yeah, I checked my credit report and this is what's said on it.

Experian:
"Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department"

Transunion:
"Placed in Collection"

Both Credit Reports shows ACS as the creditor, but I called ACS and they said since the account is purchased by 3rd party, it is closed and they can't do anything about it. What's weird is that they don't have any info on the 3rd-party collector.

Is there any process for forcing that info out of them? I don't want to wait till the fees and the interests go thru the roof or for the collector to hit me unexpectedly later down the line. This feels very frustrating and terrible to know that I have a debt floating out there in limbo and I can't get to it to resolve.

Submitted by fvuong on Wed, 05/18/2011 - 22:18

fvuong

( Posts: | Credits: )