Skip to main content
index page

14 Year Old Student Loan ... DoE Calling

Submitted by ar.benton on Mon, 03/22/2010 - 18:55
Credits:
[Donate]

I guess Im happy about that. LOL

My issue is that, I went to school for one semester in 1996, and got a student loan for it, around 2100 I think. Fast Forward to 2010 ..
Some company called CBE Group, starts calling my job asking for me by my maiden name, all my CR's show my married name, thought this was weird, none the less, told them that I didnt work here anymore, lol.

Now, I am the Admin and Accounting person here in my company so I get all the mail, do all of the payroll etc. A letter comes from DoE wanting to verify if I work here, how long ive worked here etc. Not asking for any financial information as of yet.

I got a letter from DoE today saying I owe approx $4,500 and that I have 60 days to apply for rehab. Its not affecting my CR at this point, its been 14 years.

im gonna call them this week.

I do want to go back to school, and im sure I cannot apply for pell grants if Im in default on a student loan.

so Im going to apply for the rehab. Question is, im now married, I make more money than my husband, I pay all the big bills, rent, car note, electricity, insurance, gas and groceries, I have 2 kids so day care is basically the only thing that he takes care of. Do they take into account the spouses income etc. my "disposable income" after taxes, required Retirement deposits, insurance and household bills, is enough for a pizza and some beer after each paycheck.

It is better that DoE is contacting me as opposed to a CA right?

also , does anyone know what the normal payment is on a rehab if you have less than 100 a month after all bills, and when I start rehab, will it start showing up on my credit again?

SORRY SO LONG!