Skip to main content
index page

question regarding a debt

Submitted by on Wed, 06/10/2009 - 19:18
Posts: 202330

Hi everyone , new to this forum. I have a question regarding this debt i have from a law firm. I recently got divorced after a one year old marriage and it took as much (one year) to get my final judgment. Anyway. I have filed for bankruptcy and has been discharged and also I lost my condo to foreclosure. I lost my small store due to this bad economy and the expenses that occured for attorney fees and all the other stuff. Now, I have paid close to 20,000.00 to my attorney by borrowing money from my parents which the got from their credit cards and also from my own credit cards to pay this fee but since I lost my job and at this time I am jobless and collecting unemployment i could not keep up with my mortgage and expenses and also my divorce expenses and I was going out of my mind and it was alot of pressure financially so I filed for bankruptcy 8 months ago and got discharged but after I filed bankruptcy my attorney still represented me and make the long story short I did not include his firm in my bankruptcy petition since I did not want to be dishonest since he was representing me just was not the right thing to do , anyway after I paid as much as I could which was a little more than 20,000 dollars , now his firm has send me another bill for close to 15,000.00 but I still can not find any job and I have no assets or property due to foreclosure and have no money in the bank. basically I have nothing. My question is what happens if I can not pay in the next 3 or 4 months? would they get a judgment against me and if yes what does that mean? and is it possible since I have paid already more than 20,000 dollars that if I go to court once or if they sue me that the judge might cancel or maybe at least cut this debt in half? thank you in advance for your response and I hope it can help me to understand this situation a little better since i have never been in any type of prob;ems like this before.

If you cannot pay the amount, the attorney can bring judgment against you either to garnish your wage or your bank account. It is not necessary for the creditor (attorney) to garnish you wage right now, because judgment has its own SOL and the creditor can start recovering the debt anytime within the SOL period, if you get a job by that time.

Submitted by SC on Thu, 06/11/2009 - 05:06


( Posts: 3937 | Credits: )