Skip to main content
index page

I did it! I can't believe it!!!

Submitted by on Thu, 04/28/2011 - 20:42
Credits:
[Donate]

This morning, I scheduled my final payment to pay off my student loan debt to the Department of Education. After it goes through, then just one more automatic debit on the 15th of May, and I will have zero debt. (DOE says that they can't immediately stop automatic debiting, it takes 30 days - they suggested making a payment which is the amount of the payoff balance minus the next scheduled automatic debit, then that will zero out the account and cancel automatic debiting before the 15th of June.)
Good people of America, it has taken me five years of sacrifice, but I am at the cusp of being completely debt-free for the first time in 27 years. Five years ago I owed a total of $90,000 in student loan debt to three different SL agencies, and $27,000 in credit-card debt to three different credit card companies (most charging me 18% APR). I took a job here in the Middle East and sent home every last dollar/rial I could toward my debts. And now, it is done! Simply unbelievable! Am I dreaming??? I thought I would never, ever see this day...
Now I want to save my money and buy a house. The US housing market seems that it will continue to be a disaster for the next two years or so, so I think I can simply save my mmoney every month and outright purchase a house for cash in 2013 or 2014. I'll be damned if I want to take out a mortgage! No more of my money to the bankers!
"I am out of debt" - it feels sooo good to say that. :p