Skip to main content
index page

state sales tax

Submitted by on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 22:16
Credits:
[Donate]

I have a story that i don't know if happened to anyone. To make a real long story short. My father passed away 4 yrs ago. Leaving the business to my brother,mom. Well the business split up. Then my brother went his way and i went mine. Well my mom passed away 2 yrs ago. Leaving me to run the whole business. Well with then fiance' to help out. It was tough to do it all,bookeeping,orders,paying bills,and such(sporting goods store). Well i also had filed chapter 7. Well when my mom dies,i didn't get my own taxes done for 2005. Now i don't what i can do as i lost my w2 shhet to show my tax returns. Well my bankruptsy is over on 10/12/06. But mthe bankruptsy trustee got hold of my checking account(i forgot to take out) and the amount was $8000.00,well i also got to deal with Mn state sales tax. My accountant did pay most of the money thru my bank accounts. But can the Mn state sales tax revenue contact the trustee and claim any of the money owed to them from the money that was frozen? I am worried about how long to pay the debt or going to jail. I am scared. My wife and daughter are mentally disabled and get disability and i just started working part time ($7.50) per hour,not much. If anyone has any comments/suggestions. Feel free as i am trying to find any ideas on what to do. The mn tax is nice for me to make payments,but will take a while. Thanks,Jack

Jack; I'm having a little trouble understanding, so bear with me. I understand that you are asking if the Minnesota tax authority can claim any of the money in your frozen checking account? Was the account a business account or a personal account? Chapter 7 is a personal bankruptcy.

As far as your W-2s go, you can ask your former employer to send you a copy. Employers are required to keep employment records for 3 years, so you should be able to get a copy. If not, you can contact your state department of taxation and ask them for that information. When an employer fills out a W-2, a copy goes to the state and the federal government. They already have that information. Also, you can file a prior year's return without a W-2, but you would want to make sure the information you are putting on your tax return is accurate or within the ballpark of what you earned. Any discrepancy will be corrected by the IRS and they will send you a letter advising you of the correction and possibly advise you that you owe money.

Talk to the attorney who helped you file your bankruptcy to get more complete answers.

Submitted by DebtFairy on Fri, 01/05/2007 - 23:12

DebtFairy

( Posts: 402 | Credits: )