Skip to main content
index page

Free E-Filing

Submitted by kscornell on Mon, 01/22/2007 - 19:19
Credits:
[Donate]

I learned today that if your gross income is $52,000 or below, you qualify for free e-filing with the IRS! Go to http://www.irs.gov/ for details.

Well, my income is under $52,000 but I used turbo tax and it was free to e-file, but it cost me about $75 to do state and federal. However, when I went to H&R Block the year before it cost $175, so I thought this was a better deal. I have always "done" my own (outside of the year w/H&R). Turbo Tax was so very, very easy and I didn't have to do the writing.

Submitted by Lorri on Tue, 01/23/2007 - 08:19

Lorri

( Posts: 1721 | Credits: )

Donna, Yes you can claim him as a dependant if you can prove you provide over half of his support. My son is in college and will be 19 this year and I claim him. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Tue, 01/23/2007 - 11:18

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

TaxAct rules. I have used it since the year it came out. 100% free. You will get hit with popups about buying their state product as you go thru the "interview" process, but just ignore and continue.

The one thing they don't do is guarantee any penalties if they make a calculation mistake. At least not with the free version. But if you have sooooooo many different deductions and stuff, TaxAct isn't the program for you anyway.

I love it. Use it every year. Simple, small, secure.

Submitted by jedijeff13 on Tue, 01/23/2007 - 13:03

jedijeff13

( Posts: 1734 | Credits: )

I was able to claim my daughter, who turned 18 last year, because she was still a dependent. However, the child tax credit you are allowed drops off when they turn 17 - even if they turned 17 on 12/31 of that year! If they turned 17 at any time during the tax year, you lose that credit.

I was also eligible for the EIC, so that helped.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Tue, 01/23/2007 - 15:46

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

Suebee, Dont that bite. We are still supporting them and they are in school. It was only a 1000 deduction anyways it wouldnt hurt the government to let a person get that exemption until they are 18. It hurt me on my taxes. I claim my son as a deduction cannot get child credit for him. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Tue, 01/23/2007 - 16:06

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

I just filed my teenager's tax return using the H&R Block software and discovered one thing: while it is free to do a federal return if your income is under $52,000 (and trust me, hers was), it still costs to do a state return. They wanted to charge $29.95 for hers--and I think we'll be mailing that one, if you get my drift...

Submitted by kscornell on Sun, 02/18/2007 - 16:01

kscornell

( Posts: 4407 | Credits: )

Just ran the EIC test on my son and this was the reply I got. "You are not eligible to claim the Earned Income Tax Credit because...
You meet the tests to be a qualifying child of someone else ". So, in short here, you are either a dependent or you get the EIC. Not both.

Submitted by on Thu, 03/08/2007 - 12:20

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Hi gang,
I need some advice here if possible. First question is that I owe about $1200.00 to the Federal IRS after messing up my deductions (took way too many) and this is about 3 years old. I have waited so long that now I'm afraid to call them for fear they will try to garnish wages..etc. Will they still work with me or will they try to take my next tax refund?
Second question is:My son is 20 yrs old and joined the NAVY in June of this year. Since he lived with me for 6 out of 12 months, am I still able to claim him on my taxes and file as head of household? If I can, does this mean that next year I will have to go back to filing as single?
BTW, LOVE the website, ya'll are great!!

Submitted by on Sun, 01/20/2008 - 14:12

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )