Skip to main content
index page

Heads up!

Submitted by Not so Lucky on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 07:47
Credits:
[Donate]

Today I took our tax refund check to the bank and low and behold they charged 3% to cash the check. I was so mad! So when I got home, I called the Department of Banking and Finance and reported the bank. A gentleman named Todd told me that they can't charge any percent to cash an income tax check or put a hold on the check where it is a federal tax return check. I told him that my bank charged me 3% to cash and he stated he will be contacting the bank immediately and the amount they took will be credited back to our account by 2pm today. He also asked if there was any postings stating this, and I told him no. There is absolutely no postings stating any kind of percentage being taken from tax checks. Just thought I would make people aware of this so if any of you try and cash your income tax check and they charge a percentage fee to cash it, report it.

Tammy anything to make a buck. LOL Way to go girl. Glad you reported them. Kyside38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 07:54

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

That is a bunch of B.S.! I always see the signs at banks that state if you are not a customer of theirs, you have to have two forms of id and they charge a flat $5 fee! I have never seen a bank do this to a customer! I know if the check is for alot they put a hold on it and let the customer have the first $100, but I have never heard of them doing this to a federal refund check.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 08:11

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

My credit union charges a $3 fee to cash any check, unless you have 3 of their services in your name (like checking, visa card and savings account), or you have $100 in your account with them. They say it is to discourage members from using them as a "check cashing institution only".

Guess my definition of "bank" or "credit union" and their defintion must differ a bit.

Submitted by SUEBEEHONEY70 on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 09:48

SUEBEEHONEY70

( Posts: 4583 | Credits: )

I actually work at a bank, and I agree that his is totally unacceptable. If it's any type of federal or state check, you cannot be charged to cash it. They can't even place a hold on any of the funds. Unless the state check is from somewhere other than the current state you are in. State of confusion? LOL Anyway, was it the branch manager that told you this? Ask to see where this policy is given, like a statement of fees. And, if they still give you grief, ask for the contact info for the regional manager. That should light a fire under their butts.

Submitted by swedishgirl on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 12:54

swedishgirl

( Posts: 326 | Credits: )

I actually work at a bank, and I agree that his is totally unacceptable. If it's any type of federal or state check, you cannot be charged to cash it. They can't even place a hold on any of the funds. Unless the state check is from somewhere other than the current state you are in. State of confusion? LOL Anyway, was it the branch manager that told you this? Ask to see where this policy is given, like a statement of fees. And, if they still give you grief, ask for the contact info for the regional manager. That should light a fire under their butts.

Submitted by swedishgirl on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 12:59

swedishgirl

I'm glad to hear that your money was refunded, Tammy. I've never heard of bank charging a customer for cashing a check. That is retarded to say the least. I'm glad you knew who to call and the issue was taken care of. This will let other people know to keep an eye out when they go to cash their refund checks at their bank. My bank also has their policy on check cashing posted at the teller windows. I don't have to pay fees on anything, including checks, money orders, or cashier checks. Thanks for the info. :-)

Submitted by Cow & Chicken on Thu, 01/25/2007 - 13:52

Cow & Chicken

( Posts: 3571 | Credits: )

I know. It's exactly the same as a PDL. That whole thing is just evil. I never recommended it to anyone when I worked there. I told people to try and get extra money from friends or family before they even considered doing anything like that. It's a vicious cycle that will back-fire on them. Good intentions only take you so far.

Submitted by swedishgirl on Sat, 01/27/2007 - 15:43

swedishgirl

Way to go Tammy glad you got your money back. KYSIDE38

Submitted by KYSIDE38 on Sat, 01/27/2007 - 17:42

KYSIDE38

( Posts: 2477 | Credits: )

I have heard of banks holding checks over a certain amount. I had been a BOA customer for 28 years and they held a student loan check (from WF) for 3 days cause they couldn't verify it that day, as it came from back east. I felt like they didn't trust ME, which ticked me off, being a long time customer. I said to the VP, is it me or WF you don't trust? Of course, it isn't YOU or WF (ha, ha, HA!). Its just our policy!---Sometimes the bank's policies need to be kicked to the danged CURB!

Submitted by Lorri on Mon, 01/29/2007 - 21:09

Lorri

( Posts: 1721 | Credits: )