Skip to main content
index page

filing electronicaly with form 982 and attachments

Submitted by on Mon, 02/21/2011 - 10:34
Credits:
[Donate]

Can you file electronically if you have attachments to send to IRS for form 982...i.e. insolvency worksheet. How do you do it?

You will have to E-file you tax return through the e-file website. Once you do so, you should wait for the acknowledgment that the IRS has accepted your tax return. After you receive the acknowledgment, you will have to fill out Form 8453. You will have to mention the Declaration Control Number on the left hand top corner of the form. This is the number you received in the IRS acknowledgment. Be sure to check the box next to the appropriate attachment or attachments that you are sending. You will have to mail the form within 3 days to the IRS in the following address:
Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

You can contact your tax adviser for further details in this matter.

Submitted by Anna Sweeting on Mon, 02/21/2011 - 19:53

Anna Sweeting

( Posts: 1827 | Credits: )

I used to work for the IRS, and the amount of documents they lose is insane. If you do send attachments, be sure to send them certified mail, RRR. That way you will have proof they were received.

I plan on filing paper return this year because of my settlements. That way everything will be together. I most likely won't get a refund, and if I do they will take it for back taxes that I've been paying on the installment plan.

If you're getting a refund, I'm sure you want to e-file. Just be sure to send your attachments via certified. Trust me.....

Submitted by aubrey on Wed, 02/23/2011 - 10:10

aubrey

( Posts: 1203 | Credits: )