Watch video: How credit counseling helps you pay debt and save money
Howdy! I'm your debt helper
Why should you go for credit counseling?
- To manage bills responsibly
- To develop a personal budget
- To get an affordable repayment plan
- To reduce your monthly payments
Who offers credit counseling services?
- Non profit companies
- For profit companies
Credit counseling - How this program works
Consumer credit counseling programs assist you to rebuild your credit through reasonable repayment plans. The programs offer free educational materials and smart money management tips to you. The counselors explain what is credit counseling in details so that you can take the maximum advantage from it.
How this program works
This program works in the following step-by-step process.
- The counselors will make a comparative analysis of your income and expenses first. They'll find out if you're going through the worst financial phase.
- The counselors will share tips to manage money and budget.
- They'll contact your creditors and revise the repayment plan on the basis of you financial situation.
- They'll let you know about the mistakes that have ruined your credit. They'll share the tips to rectify those mistakes.
- The counselors will guide you from time to time till you're able to start a new financial life again.
Credit counseling agency - How you can benefit from it
You can benefit from credit counseling programs or agencies in the following ways:
- You can figure out if your expenses are more than income
- You can get customized money management plan to meet your goals
- You can get free educational materials
- You can get advice to resolve financial issues
- You can get tips to repair your credit
- You can reduce interest rates on your loans
- You can manage finances like an expert
- You can pay back creditors through easy repayment plans
Why you should get credit counseling services
You can contact a credit counseling company to:
- Widen your financial literacy
- Manage your debts smartly
- Repair your credit slowly but steadily
- Get help in budget planning
- Decide if you really need to file bankruptcy
- Know how you can avoid or stop foreclosure
Types and forms of credit counseling
Credit counseling services are offered by 2 types of organizations: for-profit and non-profit organizations. Read below to know about them.
For-profit credit counseling
For-profit organizations charge a fee for their services. They'll charge an amount for negotiating with your creditors. These organizations work mainly for their own interests rather than the cash-strapped consumers.
Non profit credit counseling
Some consumers prefer to get financial help from a non profit credit counseling agency as they charge only a nominal fee for restructuring debts. They offer free educational materials and a variety of resources to manage finances. They offer free credit counseling sessions wherein consumers are able to analyze finances properly.
You may get counseling services from traditional and online counseling agencies. Read below to know about the basic difference between traditional and online counseling services.
Online credit counseling
This is quite suitable for consumers since they can get counseling services online. They can fill out some forms and get counseling sessions 24*7 at the comfort of their homes. The counselors will analyze the financial situation of consumers and initiate the negotiation process.
In traditional counseling programs, consumers can interact with counselors face-to-face and get an comprehensive idea about their financial situation. They can go to a brick and mortar office and meet a credit counselor who can help to fix their financial problems.
6 Questions you should ask to choose the best credit counselor
Check out the 6 questions that you must never fail to ask in order to select the best counselor for yourself.
- Will you be given educational materials?
- How much do you've to pay for the counseling sessions?
- What kind of services can you get from the agency?
- Is the agency licensed in your state?
- Will you get any kind of written agreement?
- Are the counselors certified from NFCC?
Credit counseling agencies help consumers to start great financial life through affordable debt repayment plans, practical budget plans, wise money management tips, etc. Millions of consumers are facing various types of financial problems. Credit counseling helps them to handle those problems smartly.
Last updated on 2013-09-23
DebtCC Wiki: How credit counseling helps you budget and manage bills
Effective debt management is vital to achieving and maintaining a top credit score which is used by major loan companies and some employers and even landlords for determining how responsible you are when it comes to debt repayment. Having a good credit score will get you the best rates of interest and terms on home mortgage loans and auto loans as well as insurance plans, job positions, rentals ...Posted by Joy Mali on Nov,19 2013
A short overview In a certain period of falling financial markers and steadily heightening Visa bills for the normal buyer, debt administration has become an issue all over the place from water coolers to bar stools in a corporate environment. However, there is an assemblage of diverse techniques surrounding debt administration. Everything from liquidation to home contract refinancing to payda...Posted by Sofiya on Oct,22 2013
1. What is credit counseling? Credit counseling is a professional counseling service which educates consumers on how to manage their credit and finances better. Such a service helps you to repay debts through negotiation with creditors. Know more... 2. When do I need credit counseling? You need credit counseling if you're in any of the situations given below: ...Posted by ruthgibson on Jul,30 2013
A large segment of the population strives hard to grow their income in all possible ways. Demanding a higher salary is a more difficult task compared to learning how to save more money for increasing overall income. In case of interest-generated income, various types of online savings accounts can be used to maximize interest rates, creating better options for debt management and savings. &n...Posted by jennaleesmith1 on Jul,03 2013
1. What is debt management plan? Debt management plan (DMP) is a way by which a credit counseling agency helps you to pay off debts through reduced interest rates and payments. With a debt management plan, you can avoid paying extra charges for late payments. 2. How do I understand that I’m eligible for DMP? There are certain eligibility criteria that you need to meet for starting a ...Posted by ruthgibson on Jun,18 2013
DebtCC Answers: Get expert advice on online credit counseling programs
Community Discussions on Credit Counseling
- 1commentsJan, 08 2013 by Nicol payday
Credit counseling and debt consolidation are both effective at providing debt relief. You can learn more about the difference between each process here.
Novadebt is a credit counseling service based in New Jersey. They have a good track record for consumer satisfaction and legal compliance.
A legitimate credit counseling agency will help you to reduce your debts. Check out the 8 tips to get good consumer credit counseling service.
Debt settlement vs debt management - find the option that suits you the best. Know when to go for debt settlement or debt management.
Debt consolidation vs debt management - Know how they differ and which one you should choose in order to get rid of your bills.