Skip to main content
index page

How can someone repair credit

Submitted by on Wed, 01/12/2005 - 09:36
Credits:
[Donate]

I need to repair my credit. I don't know where to start, please help.

I will really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Norman

Hi Norman,

Quote:

I need to repair my credit , I don't know where to start, please help.

Welcome to debt consolidation care forum, and thank you for the query. Remember, the most important thing you should know is, whatever the credit reporting agency did for you is not such a big deal. It is just that you need to be composed yourself and take some immediate action.

Though facts and negative information from a credit report cannot be removed, you still have rights to request for reinvestigation when there are some disputes in your report. This procedure is totally free of cost . You should keep in mind that whatever credit repairing agency can do for you, can be done with little fee or free of cost. You still have a chance for credit even though your credit report is poor. You can go through our different sections and learn more on this issue.

Sign up with us at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/signup/ and get a free counseling on credit repair, budgeting and many other relevant subjects. Please feel free in sharing your ideas and suggestions apart from your queries.

Regards,
Simon

Submitted by simon on Fri, 01/14/2005 - 03:15

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

Norman - There are a number of companies out there who promise to repair your credit. All of which will cost you a monthly fee. The sad part about it is most people don't know they can repair their credit without the help of these agencies. IT takes a little bit of creativity and persistence. But I promise if you stick with it, your scores will increase. I've raised my scores over 200 points over the last year.

The first thing you need to do is obtain a copy of your credit report from the big 3 (TransUnion - Equifax - and Experian). You can do this by contacting them and simply asking. Normally you would have to pay a fee but your report is free if you've been denied employment. This information is not easily verified. After you've received your reports, start the dispute process. This is done by writing letters disputing a number of accounts as not yours.

Here is a great site to check out. It has a lot of helpful information:

Hope this helps.

[color=red][size=2][edited by vikas - no posting of url please][/size][/color]

Submitted by on Thu, 02/17/2005 - 09:42

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Good idea to first obtain all of your credit reports direct from each of the credit reporting agencies:

[list=1]

• Experian 888-397-3742
  • Equifax 800-685-1111
  • TransUnion 800-916-8800

Suggest selecting the option for having been declined credit weather or not you have been, if any company has pulled your credit report within the last 60 days the credit bureau will know it and send you out free credit reports.

Once you get the reports, first thing to do is look through all personal information make sure it is all correct name listings, address listings, and other personal information like name of spouse, phone number, drivers license, date of birth and so forth. You can call in the credit reporting agency just need to have the file number on the report to access customer service, dispute number to call will be on the credit report as well. Usually the rep will update that information immediately over the phone, if a creditor is reporting the incorrect info they will let you know they need 30 days to investigate, if they do that then ask them who the company was the reported the incorrect information so you can contact them yourself and correct them if possible.

Once you get confirmation back from the credit reporting agency that addresses and such have been updated you can then start disputing any incorrect data contained in the credit report. Best to put dispute in writing, types up for legability, if you have more then 10 items to dispute suggest splitting them up like 5 disputed this month and other 5 next month. Rotate disputes every 60 days so that no one item is re-disputed in a 30 day period of time, other wise the credit reporting agency will send you a frivolous letter refusing to dispute if they have already once verified the information.

It takes them 30 days to investigate, if they don't complete in that time, then after 35 days write them back asking them to finish investigation. If they remove item you disputed, the creditor can still verify later and reinsert, but if they do then the credit reporting agency has 5 business days to notify you of reinsertion, if they don't then you have a right to write them back and insist that they remove said item once and for all.

Keep disputes simple and to the point, like if you have account that should show paid, then example would be:

Company ABC
    Account # 123
    Please note account paid, update to show zero balance.

Just like that simple to the point, tell them what is wrong, and what you expect to be changed on the credit report.

If you applied for any major loans in the last 6 months that resulted in denial due to the incorrect information then you can also ask the credit reporting agency to send that creditor and updated copy of your credit report so they can reconsider your previous application.

Also it is best to keep photo copies of all disputes you send, recommend sending all disputes certified, return receipt requested.

If your dispute does not get resolved, you have a few choices, to first contact the company and dispute direct with them on the reporting problem, if that still don't work you can file complaint with the FTC www.ftc.gov they also have a new dispute referal system you can ask them about when you call.

Best of wishes with your disputes.

• Submitted by Pammila on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 11:25

Pammila

( Posts: 112 | Credits: )

Hi kb9tbq

Most of the people don't have sound knowledge about how to obtain a credit report and how to deal with it. Since you have given an in-depth knowledge about this credit report, I am sure it will help many people and most of their queries will get solved after reading this post.

Keep in touch with all of us
    Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 13:54

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )