Skip to main content
index page

How do I know whether my account is with collection agencies or with a creditor?

Submitted by on Wed, 01/12/2005 - 09:40
Credits:
[Donate]

Dear forum people,

How do I know whether my account is with collection agencies or with a creditor? If a collection agency calls me, does it mean it is passed to them?

Is there someway I can still ask my creditor directly and avoid collection agencies?

I think my accounts are passes to collection agencies, they really S**ks.

Hi Johny,

When the original creditors turn your account over to a debt collection agency, you can be very sure of knowing about it as the nightmare starts with endless and frequent harassment calls.

Yes your account has been passed on to them temporarily for a while. When they made another call, tell them that you are ready to respond but need to have their details of address, phone no and your details on account no, amount of debt owed, date of the debt incurred and your original creditors in writings.

Once they send you these documents you reply them in sending a cease-comm. letter via certified mail and do not forget to keep the Receipt for certified mail for proof as it might be necessary. Under the ???Fair Debt Collection Practices Act??? enacted by Congress to regulate the activities of the debt collector, you can take this action and ask them to stop harassing you.

If the agency still continues to harass you, you can sue them. To get more information, contact your local FTC office for a copy of the law, and reference Section 813, civil liability, and file a complaint with the FTC.

Thank you,
Simon

Submitted by simon on Mon, 01/17/2005 - 04:44

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

Welcome to the forums,

Quote:

How do I know whether my account is with collection agencies or with a creditor? If a collection agency calls me , does it mean it is passed to them?

Ask for your credit report and you can check it over there. A collection agency calling you generally also implies it.

Quote:
Is there someway I can still ask my creditor directly and avoid collection agencies?

Get the original creditors contact id and offer a good deal, make sure you have everything in writing, you can check our mailing instructions at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/mailing-instructions.html

Quote:
I think my accounts are passes to collection agencies, they really S**ks.

Do not worry, collection agencies are not trained to handle customers, take help at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/diy/

Regards
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Mon, 01/17/2005 - 07:07

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

Need to obtain copy of your credit report from all 3 credit reporting agencies.

Experian 888-397-3742
Equifax 800-685-1111
TransUnion 800-916-8800

Once you get the report look for these signs:

If both original creditor and collection agency are showing and a balance is being reported owed on both listings then you are dealing with an assigned collection agency in that case try to negotiate payments direct with the creditor and get them to retract the collection agency from reporting this account.

If the original creditor listing is showing zero balance transferred or sold, then you have no other recourse then to pay the collection agency directly. You just be throwing your money away if you make mistake of sending it to the creditor in this case... they may be dishonest pocket the money and the collection agency be none the wiser that you already once paid on the account.

Submitted by Pammila on Tue, 04/26/2005 - 16:10

Pammila

( Posts: 112 | Credits: )