Skip to main content
index page

URGENT! DavCan creditors in the UK chase me in the US?

Submitted by on Fri, 01/14/2005 - 11:13
Credits:
[Donate]

I have had some very unfortunate circumstances happen that led to me getting into debt in the UK after living there with my wife for 3 years. My intentions have to been to pay payments to them. since I have moved back to the states they have been calling me and sending me letters and they even called me at like 3 am in the morning. I am in Michigan and I am looking to file bankruptcy in the UK. Will this Bankruptcy affect my states credit? Can the creditors attach a debt to my states credit and chase me in the courts here? Please help with this. My debts are about £25,000 which is about £50,000. There is no way I can pay this back.

Thanks,
David

Hi Casper,

Welcome to debtconsolidationcare forum. We feel very sorry for your bad situation. Good intentions aren't enough to pleased the creditors, things should be done in writing and they have every reasons to keep calling you as they want their money back and need to do something about it.

Your credit could be affected as it is easy to get information and details, why not keep writing to them again with an honest descriptions on your situation and the payment plan you had.

Since it is not possible to pay back the entire amount, you can go for some advice or counseling on what to do next before filing bankruptcy in the U.K. Why don't you go for our expert advice and counseling? It'll help you make a better decision on where to go next. Keep posting and update us with the latest development.

Good luck and have a nice weekend.

Thanks,
Simon

Submitted by simon on Fri, 01/14/2005 - 22:17

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

UK debt can't follow you to the US, and it can't be added to your US Credit Report, they can call you, nothing in US laws to govern out of country collection agencies bothering you sorry to say.

Would suggest changing phone numbers, and going to unlisted status.

Then turn to just written correspondence concerning this debt, keep receipts / copies of money sent to them, maybe money order to them what you can.

They should not be able to garnish US checking / savings accounts, but just in case I would forgo making payments that way.

Submitted by Pammila on Tue, 04/26/2005 - 16:05

Pammila

( Posts: 112 | Credits: )

Hi anonymous999

Welcome to forums

US debt can be followed in Canada. Though Canada is an independent country still the US laws can be validated there. In addition if the collection agency or the creditor has branches in Canada then they can easily pursue it in Canada. So it is better that you pay off your debt. In case you are not in a position to pay off your debt right now you can easily register yourself in a debt consolidation program in any company operating in Canada. So please do not stress yourself out.

Hope to hear from you soon

Regards
Peter

Submitted by peter on Wed, 07/13/2005 - 02:28

peter

( Posts: 285 | Credits: )

Hi anonymous999

Welcome to the forums. I strongly favor the point that their is no reason to invite trouble on both sides of the border. Some reputed banks have worldwide branches and through them, your personal data can be easily shared.

Also, some creditors and the collection agencies have inter-state business, so it is better to pay the debt off rather than creating unknown problems.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Wed, 07/13/2005 - 15:37

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

I have only been in Kuwait for 4years I was born and raised in UK and hold British passport and nationality. When I came to Kuwait to find my father, who is Kuwaiti, I was given a Kuwait passport and granted Kuwait nationality and kuwait goverment took my British passport away. However I went to brit embassy and applied for a new British passport.

Unfortantly I have run up a large debt of 50,000 Kuwaiti dinas about 100,000 British pounds from a loan given by a Kuwaiti bank (nbk) they do have a nbk branch in London but and I'm wondering will they catch me if I was to go back to England for good. As they dont have any contact deatails for me in England and I am known in England only on my British passport which is in a slightly different name to my Kuwait passport and I would no longer need to use my Kuwait passport which I used to apply for a loan. :(

Please tell me what might happen as I dont want to risk getting in trouble as I have a family now. :(:(

Submitted by on Wed, 03/22/2006 - 13:51

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

As i understand it if a judgement is obtained in a foreign court, a creditor can go to court and try and have the judgment reissued. I think they have to do it in a court where you live. i am not sure whether or not they have to notify you or not. try pming a member here by th ename of virginia-legal-defense (he is an attorney) perhaps he can help, or consult an attorney where you live.

Submitted by jj on Wed, 03/22/2006 - 14:43

jj

( Posts: 1057 | Credits: )

Hello,

I need help with my debts that I have in the UK, I have been here 6 years now and have about 30 ???????? 35K worth of dept, currently in an IVA and have not made any payment to them for about 7 months. I am originally from South Africa and hold a South African passport, I will be flying home soon cause my visa is about to run out and I don????????t want to renew it???????.. I was just wondering if they could follow me there and what would worse case scenario be???

Many Thanks

Submitted by on Sun, 08/26/2007 - 03:54

hi was just wondering i have a loan in dubai for about 140,000 dhs which is about 17K (UK). I am leaving soon. Can the bank do anything to me? Or my family home which is the details i gave when applying for the loan. I thought debt stayed in its respective country?

look forward to hearing from anyone who can help??

Submitted by on Wed, 08/29/2007 - 04:17

If you have US Debt, the collection agency can call you anywhere in the world if they can get your contact information, but they cannot go after you via court in Canada. The credit rules are much different from US to Canada.

Submitted by on Thu, 09/20/2007 - 18:17

i read alot on here about in debt to far away places what about in debt to banks in germany as this is a europen country

Submitted by on Tue, 10/02/2007 - 03:11

Quote:

If you have US Debt, the collection agency can call you anywhere in the world if they can get your contact information, but they cannot go after you via court in Canada. The credit rules are much different from US to Canada.

As a Canadian lawyer living in the US, they most definately CAN pursue a US debt in Canada. It happens all the time. A lot of US collection agencies have Canadian offices and they can easily hire a lawyer in Canada to pursue the debt. It is very common practice with US federal and private student loans but other credit matters can be filed on as well.

Submitted by SOAPLADY on Tue, 10/02/2007 - 05:39

SOAPLADY

( Posts: 17315 | Credits: )

If your debt in the US is by your Social Sec number but you are a canadian citizen and move back to Canada, and you do not use your US SSN in canada how can they track you?

Submitted by on Thu, 10/11/2007 - 21:05

I left south africa aftter losing my job and went to hongkong with about 20 000 rand in credit card debt - could the bank in south africa be able to affect my credit rating in hong kong or elsewhere or force me to pay from abroad?

Submitted by on Sat, 12/22/2007 - 05:42

Posting on behalf of a friend, He has taken a sizable loan out in nz and is now moving back to his home counry uk can they follow up the debt there or bother his parents back in Nz ?

Submitted by on Wed, 02/13/2008 - 12:29

Can Uk creditors(owe 8k) follow me if i go to live in south america?

Submitted by on Tue, 04/01/2008 - 12:48

Will debts in US affect china? I am a foreign student and ended with 20,000 USD loans, I plan to move back to China, will they follow me to China? will it affect my credit in china or hong kong?

Submitted by on Mon, 06/23/2008 - 01:59

The US is very creditor-friendly, many states having SOL's of 5-10 years... In contrast, most other countries around the world have SOLs of about 2 years.

If your US creditor wanted to go follow you, they would have to sue you in a Chinese court, which would be governed by Chinese laws. If China's SOL is only 2 years, then you might have a quick and easy defense to have the case tossed.

Submitted by DebtCruncher on Mon, 06/23/2008 - 02:54

DebtCruncher

( Posts: 2293 | Credits: )

i am thinking about moving from canada to new zealand i have a huge amount of debt will they be able to track me down there..what is worst cast scenario that could happen?
thank you

Submitted by on Sun, 09/21/2008 - 19:31

I HAVE LOAN IN UAE ABOUT 8000 BRITISH POUNDS OF FOUR BANKS 2000 EACH AND UNABLE TO PAY. I WANT TO LEFT THE COUNTRY WITHOUT PAYING THIS LOAND CAN THEY FOLLOW ME TO PAKISTAN ?

Submitted by on Tue, 09/23/2008 - 01:46

This is starting to sound more like true skipping out on debt then legitimate questions....I mean, if they are after you for a questionable amount, you should fight it tooth and nail! But just skipping out completely?

Besides I think (I am not sure) but taking out a loan like $15k and skipping the country constitutes as fraud....sounds like they did this on purpose...

Submitted by goldenbast on Sun, 01/11/2009 - 21:26

goldenbast

( Posts: 2884 | Credits: )

Hi all. Have been reading the posts for some time now. I graduated from a university in the US back in 2005. Life was very good and I had a good credit score. Was about 680 if I recall. I had cards from Amex, US Bank, Sears, Best Buy, Cap One, Ebay, a Cingular cell phone connection and a t-mobile cell phone conection. So I had cards from Visa and Mastercard. Like I said, I was always paying my bills on time and never late on payments. I had never accumalted money on my cards. Finally my world went down south.

I had applied for my H1B visa in August 2005. I got 2 inquiries on my visa to which I answered promptly. Finally, USCIS never gave me the H1B visa. I had to leave the country as my student visa status was near to expiry. As I had no visa, finding work in the US was also next to hell. I accumulated dollars and dollars on my cards as that was the only means to survive in the US at such a difficult time. I never had intentions to walk away from my debt. Finally, I just had to. I moved away to India and till date repent for not paying up. And paying from India is next to impossible. You just cannot earn in Rupees and pay in Dollars. The exchange rate differences are too high.

I am now in India. I have a good job. I have 2 credit cards which I use and pay full every month. I have 2 car loans and one home loan. And I am doing pretty good for myself.

So why did I write this story here? Well, sometimes, a particular situation is way beyond ones control. You just can't do anything to stop whats happening. I still repent on what happened. I have got a second chance and I am using it very wisely. I try and keep things under control as much as possible. Anyways, I have some unanswered questions:

1> If I ever go back to the US, be it for work or whatever reasons, will I be arrested at the port of entry?

2> If I migrate to Aus or Canada, what are the chances that I wont be able to establish a good credit due to my past in the US?

3> I have read that bad credit stands on your credit report for 7-10 years. Does this mean that bad credit gets wiped out? Does it mean that I can come back to the US again and establish myself?

Someone PLEASE respond to my questions. I would really appreciate help. I can be reached on

Submitted by on Mon, 01/12/2009 - 23:23

Would my credit card debt incurred in US pose a problem if I move to India?

Submitted by on Sun, 03/01/2009 - 12:34

I studied in austria for a couple of years and left in 04 in debt of almot 10000 eur. what happens if i travel back there again?
i don't want to end up in a prison cell or anything of this sort!
thanks

Submitted by on Wed, 05/20/2009 - 06:12

No, you are free to flee to SA however should you ever leave SA again you will pay the consequenses, remember debt accumulates interest and penalty payments not to mention legal fees. Make a careful decision now and stick with it. There will be no going back. Given the enconomic and policitical outlook in SA, having some debt in the US might be the easier path to take.

Submitted by on Tue, 09/22/2009 - 06:20

Hi i attended shady flight school that mysteriously closed it's doors and declared bankruptcy on half a dozen students with privatized student loans ranging from 65,000-75,000 dollars with uncompleted educations and thousands of dollars lost... ie 25,000 dollars for me. The school did not have a bond with the state even after being court ordered too. After all this no one was ever able recover any of there losses or get into contact with the school. My lawyer doesn't even respond to my phone calls any more my loans are now 82,0000 dollars and rising with 18 percent interest everyday. I've given up on everything as i work at kinkos and make 9.50 an hour. I will never be able to pay off this loans. whats even more ironic is the student loan company i borrowed from was allowed bankruptcy and the shady school i attended was allowed bankruptcy but i'm still saddled with the debt. What can i do?? I'm seriously considering moving to AUS and never looking back. Living low and never taking anything out on credit again (i've sure learned my lesson) what are the chances ill be tracked down sentenced and sent back or sued?

Submitted by on Fri, 10/23/2009 - 21:32