Skip to main content
index page

Asset Acceptance LLC

Submitted by on Thu, 02/03/2005 - 15:07
Credits:
[Donate]

In 2004, I received a copy of my credit report for the first time to discover (3) "debts" to asset acceptance corp. After explaining to them that I had been the victim of fraud and possibly identity theft, I was verbally abused, called names and told they could "ruin" me forever if I didn't pay them now. In addition, a rep from asset called a business in a city I formerly lived in and left my full name, birthday, and social security number on that business answering machine. I disputed the debt, complained to the person who identified himself as the person who receives serious complaints such as this(also a lie), and never heard from them again. Until this month...When I found them listed on my credit report again and this time, they have indicated i made payments to them(verifying debt). Which is NOT true. Please help me.

Hi Missy

Welcome to debtconsolidationcare forum, Identity theft could make your life messy and need careful approach in handling such case. If you really feel that you are a victim, call up the crime branch of your local police department and make sure the crime is reported under the identity theft, send out a fraud alert to all credit bureaus, and inform them of the dispute case and pull back your credit report with all the three CRA, you can also call up your local SSA (Social Security Administration) incase you need to change your SSN (Social Security Number) apart from further advice.

Keep in mind that you need to keep and produce all necessary documents ready to support your claim in clarifying your innocence, if so, then you could be in control of the situation, you can inform the asset acceptance , they should stop the threat else you may drag them to court and force them to pay for it. Thank you for the query and keep writing to us.

Good Luck,

Simon

Submitted by simon on Fri, 02/04/2005 - 02:21

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

Hi Guest
Welcome to debtconsolidationcare forum,
[quote=Anonymous]How long can a debt be held against you?[/quote]

Please check out the SOL in your state, with the expiry of the SOL, your debt also expired but
it doesn' t mean your debts are gone or forgotten, you need to have strong evidence in support of your claim to produce in a court if in case the creditors sues you.

All the best ,
Simon

Submitted by simon on Thu, 02/10/2005 - 16:44

simon

( Posts: 307 | Credits: )

[quote=Anonymous]How long can a debt be held against you?[/quote]

Over 20 years ago prior to asking for a divorce my husband ran up a credit card bill in my name. He was ordered to pay it, but did not or I cannot find proof he did. Because it was still in my name it appeared on my credit report for many years. I stubbornly and maybe not wisely refused to pay, tried to show he was suppose to but it was still in my name. It eventually went off but after buying a home a year ago it has now reappeared on my credit report. Can they do that?

Submitted by on Wed, 08/03/2005 - 08:34

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

There are some points that you have to consider in your matter. Is it the same collection agency that was reporting in your credit report last year? Usually, when the collection agency finds it difficult to recover the debt from the consumer, they pass on the debt to some other agency. Check if your account is not shown as charge off in your credit report.

Also, you will have to dispute it with the credit bureau that is reporting this account. If an account is removed from the credit report, it is not supposed to reappear again. Compare your credit report from the other credit bureaus and see the status of this account.

Comparing the credit reports from each of the bureaus, if you find this entry to be incorrect then you can send a certified mail with return receipt requested asking for the certification of the said account. The bureau will conduct an investigation and will inform you within a period of 30 days with a free copy if any change is done in your report.

In the meantime, you need to contact the collection agency asking for validation of the said account. They will have to legally provide you the complete proof of your account before they urge you to make payment.

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/validation.html

At this point of time, you can also consider yourself for a professional counseling because these types of situations require overall guidance. Thanks to this site for offering free counseling to the debt struck people. Just register yourself free of cost at the sign up page and get in touch with the consultant. I registered and it has helped in my case a lot!! :)

http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/signup/

Submitted by ben on Wed, 08/03/2005 - 10:11

ben

( Posts: 2034 | Credits: )

i have been contacted many times by discover card re a now 11,000+ bill. I asked for specific proof and was told that after 6 monthss the company who was paid by the card no longer needed to keep proof of charge. i cantacted discover again asking for proof and was told i could receive all my statements and i responeded stating i could print my own statements. Since then i have received notice via US Mail the ere going to hire an attorney to sue me.

Submitted by on Sat, 12/20/2008 - 10:28

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )