index page

Is this right to do?

Submitted by jtucker on Tue, 03/01/2005 - 17:20
Credits:
[Donate]

The following is a copy of a letter I have receievd:
==============================
Date 2/25/2005

[My Name], understand the default clause of your purchase and/or rental agreement has now been invoked. You will no longer be bale to make payments on your account. The entire balance must be paid in full if you wish to keep the instrument (note: a musical Instrument for School band).

A representative was again at your home today to retrieve the musical instrument. This was the third visit to your home, at a cost of 60.00 per visit, an additional 180.00 may now be added to your balance, in accordance to your agreement.

you will not be allowed to keep the instument without paying the balance in full immediately. The instrument must be surrendered to our representative or returned to our office at: [Location left]

[My name], you now have (24) hours to pay the balance or surrender the instrument; otherwise, you may force us to take legal steps necessary to reclaim the instrument.

===========================
I also have a letter dated 2/4/2005 saying mostly the same stuff but saying the charge was $40.00 for the visit. as well as other letters (about 2/3 a month)

I have informed this Agency I did not want to deal with them nor be contacted by them, yet they call my home, call my work and leave these letters taped to my door.

The Original creditor accepts and cashes payments I have sent to them to settle this debt.

Any suggestions, actions, help would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Hi Jtucker,
Welcome to debt consolidation Care Forum :D .
Please keep this in mind that the US laws have empowered the debtors with the rights to combat the harassments of the collection agencies. fdcpa restricts the actions of the Collection Agencies.

Quote:

I have informed this Agency I did not want to deal with them nor be contacted by them, yet they call my home, call my work and leave these letters taped to my door.

If they are not listening to your requests then they are violating FDCPA & can be sued. Do let them know this.

Quote:
The Original creditor accepts and cashes payments I have sent to them to settle this debt.

The best way to fight debt is to deal with the Creditors directly & avoid the Collection agencies as much as is possible. If your Creditor is accepting the payments, then be very particular about payments.

However, before negotiating with the Creditors and the Collection agencies, it is always advisable that you know the pros and cons of your legal rights. You can read this article for better knowledge: http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/fdcpa.html

In case you need any further assistance, please get back to us. Looking forward to your active participation in the forum,
Thanks & regards,

Sarah

Submitted by sarah-d1 on Tue, 03/01/2005 - 18:28

sarah-d1

( Posts: 9 | Credits: )

Is that legal to try to "force" me to pay a fee added to my account by sending someone to my door?

I re-looked at my original Document when I first signed for that Musical instrument and there was no clause in there indicating that this would/could be done. I kind of feel it is some type of "Intimidation" tactic.

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Wed, 03/02/2005 - 06:16

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to debt consolidation Care Forum,

Quote:

Is that legal to try to "force" me to pay a fee added to my account by sending someone to my door?

Be sure that it is absolutely illegal to force you or contact you after you have requested the collection agencies to stop contacting you.

Please let them know that they are violating fdcpa and can be sued for this.
To know more about the restrictions that FDCPA imposes on the collection agencies, read this article: http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/fdcpa.html

For any further assistance, please feel free to get back to us.
Wishing you all the best in your endeavor,

Thanks & regards,

Sarah

Submitted by sarah-d1 on Wed, 03/02/2005 - 18:44

sarah-d1

( Posts: 9 | Credits: )

I sent this Letter out CMRR on March 2, 2005

[my name]
Address
State, City, ZIP

Date: April 5, 2005
National Management Systems
P.O. Box 29217
Indianapolis, IN 46229

RE: Repro0320

Dear Sir/Madam,

As I have indicated in my prior letter dated November 14, 2004, I would like to work with the original creditor of the account rather than collection agencies. Paige's Music receives my payments and cashes them. Therefore I consider them as maintaining my account. This is to request you to CEASE and DESIST from your efforts of collecting debt payments on the above referred account. No phone calls at home or work and no visiting my residence are all included in this request.

You are hereby instructed in accordance with the federal and state laws, to stop all collection efforts immediately or face legal sanctions.

PAY DUE ATTENTION TO THIS LETTER.

Cordially,

[MyNAME]

Today..I received a Phone Call at my Work..and As seen in my Letter above the Cease and Desist order stated I was not to be contacted again by them at Home, Work, etc..

How do I enforce this?

Do I just file a claim in small claims court?

What section of the fdcpa do I quote if that is the case? and should I ask my work to pull ther phone log to prove my point?

JErry

Submitted by on Tue, 04/05/2005 - 08:43

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I sent this Letter out CMRR on March 2, 2005

[my name]
Address
State, City, ZIP

Date: April 5, 2005
P.O. Box 29217
Indianapolis, IN 46229

RE: Repro0320

Dear Sir/Madam,

As I have indicated in my prior letter dated November 14, 2004, I would like to work with the original creditor of the account rather than collection agencies. Paige's Music receives my payments and cashes them. Therefore I consider them as maintaining my account. This is to request you to CEASE and DESIST from your efforts of collecting debt payments on the above referred account. No phone calls at home or work and no visiting my residence are all included in this request.

You are hereby instructed in accordance with the federal and state laws, to stop all collection efforts immediately or face legal sanctions.

PAY DUE ATTENTION TO THIS LETTER.

Cordially,

[MyNAME]

Today..I received a Phone Call at my Work..and As seen in my Letter above the Cease and Desist order stated I was not to be contacted again by them at Home, Work, etc..

How do I enforce this?

Do I just file a claim in small claims court?

What section of the fdcpa do I quote if that is the case? and should I ask my work to pull ther phone log to prove my point?

JErry

Submitted by on Tue, 04/05/2005 - 08:44

Hi JerryT

In such a situation, when you have given orders of not to disturb you anymore and also warned of the legal actions to be taken against them, they are sending letters to you and might continue it the same way to make themselves more powerful. In such a case, had I been in your place, then I would have definitely filed a case against them in a court so as to show them that people like us also can take actions when desperately needed.. I will suggest you to visit a court and then know the proper section to be enforced and sue them. Let them know that you also can become powerful when required???No matter if you come out successfully, but at least an action will have been taken against them.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Tue, 04/05/2005 - 12:56

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

I received what looks like some screen prints from the OC (Original Creditor), when I ask if I could have a statement showing my payments, balance, fees etc...

One section shows "Reamaining Principle: $390.00"

Then a running series of payments, on one page penned in with ink is a note off to the side "+ Collection Fee" , but it does not show what this amount is. I thought the full detail of the fees were supposed to be included in a request of this type?

Also, the have in PEN a written notation as follows:

"Original Balance Placed at National Managemnet Systems
$1,426.47
905.00 Payments
---------------------
$521.47 Balance

This balance is what the CA is reporting, so if the Principle is $390.00, are they trying to collect on the "future" finance charges also as it appears?

Also, I was reviewing my Original Documents on this agreement and notice that their is a "Clause: stating that their will be a Late fee as stated verbatim:
"Late Charge -- You agree to pay us a late charge of $5.00 for any monthly rental payment that is five days or maore past due. The $5.00 per month late charge will continue to be added for each monthly rental payment that is more then five days past due."

I myself would understand this to mean I will be charged a flat $5.00 per month for late fees on any $$$$ due that is not paid by the 5th of the month.

BUT looking at this screen print I see a series of $5.00 Late fees then a series of "late" fees jumping around and ranging from $16.20 to $21.20 with no further explantion of why hte different amounts for the late fee. and this is for a payment due of $49.29 which makes some of these late fees look rather high as compared to what it is being charged against.

Any comments as to what I( should do on this?

BTW, I got a notirized statement from my Co-Worker who took that Call from National Management Systems asking me to contact them for a "Personal Business Matter", after I sent them the C & D Letter. He even chucled and commented, "Seems like a bill collector is trying to get a hold of ya, huh?" Which was rather embarassing to hear/have him know...

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Thu, 04/07/2005 - 07:12

jtucker

OK here is FINAL Letter to these clowns and note I CC'ed the State Attorney General and OC.

My name
Address:

Date: April 7, 2005

Sharon McCormick
Collection Manager
P.O. Box 29217
Indianapolis, IN 46229

Re: Letter dated Nov. 14, 2004; Letter dated and sent CMRR on March 2, 2005 and Acct Ref. # Repro0320 (Original Acct# R240320)

Dear Ms. Sharon McCormick:

This letter is being sent to you in response to a phone call I received from someone identifying herself as ???Peggy, of National Management Systems???. Be advised that this is not a refusal to pay, but a notice sent pursuant to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 USC 1692g Sec. 809 (b) that your claim is disputed and validation is requested.
This is NOT a request for ???verification??? or proof of my mailing address, but a request for VALIDATION made pursuant to the above named Title and Section. I respectfully request that your offices provide me with competent evidence that I have any legal obligation to pay you.

I have received requests left out in my hallway, attached to my front door and having my next door neighbor give me one she had found on the floor of the shared hallway/entranceway she found in front of her door (and having no name/Address on the envelope and not sealed, she opened thinking it may be hers and read the contents to find out what it was) that you have left behind in the past. The latest such request claims I owe you $571.47. As indicated in my previous two letters (the last one sent CMRR, See attachments), I informed you that it was a cease and desist request. Also, I am showing in my records that I have paid in a total of $1,212.00 on a Rental Purchase Agreement of $1,364.22, thus leaving me a balance according to my accounting of $152.22.
What do I need you to provide as the debt validation.
??? What the money you say I owe is for;
??? Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
??? Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
??? Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
??? Identify the original creditor;
??? Prove the Statute of Limitations has not expired on this account
??? Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state
??? Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent
??? Proof that the collection company owns the debt/or has been assigned the debt. (You are legally entitled to collect this particular debt from me.) This is basic contract law.
??? Complete payment history, starting with the original creditor. (I need to have proof of my payment history with original Creditor, what the amount of the debt was when the creditor assigned the debt to your company, and what fees/interest has been tacked on to this debt and how you/they determined these fees.) This requirement was established by the case Fields v. Wilber Law Firm, Donald L. Wilber and Kenneth Wilber, USCA-02-C-0072, 7th Circuit Court, Sept 2004..
??? Copy of the original signed loan agreement or credit card application. (My contract with the original creditor establishing the debt between us.) This is also basic contract law.

At this time I will also inform you that if your offices have reported invalidated information to any of the 3 major Credit Bureau's (Equifax, Experian or TransUnion) this action might constitute fraud under both Federal and State Laws. Due to this fact, if any negative mark is found on any of my credit reports by your company or the company that you represent

I will not hesitate in bringing legal action against you for the following:
??? Violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act
??? Violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
??? Defamation of Character

If your offices are able to provide the proper documentation as requested in the following Declaration, I will require at least 30 days to investigate this information and during such time all collection activity must cease and desist.

Also during this validation period, if any action is taken which could be considered detrimental to any of my credit reports, I will consult with my legal counsel for suit. This includes any listing any information to a credit reporting repository that could be inaccurate or invalidated or verifying an account as accurate when in fact there is no provided proof that it is.

If your offices fail to respond to this validation request within 30 days from the date of your receipt, all references to this account must be deleted and completely removed from my credit file and a copy of such deletion request shall be sent to me immediately.
I would also like to request, in writing, that no telephone contact be made by your offices to my home or to my place of employment. If your offices attempt telephone communication with me, including but not limited to computer generated calls and calls or correspondence sent to or with any third parties, it will be considered harassment and I will have no choice but to file suit. All future communications with me MUST be done in writing and sent to the address noted in this letter by USPS.

It would be advisable that you assure that your records are in order before I am forced to take legal action. This is an attempt to correct your records; any information obtained shall be used for that purpose.

Also, I would like to point out the following facts in trying to deal with the matter:
The above said letters dated 2/4/05 and 2/25/05 (this one referring to a third such one I could not find evidence of receiving), state that you will be adding a 40.00 per visit charge to my balance and the second one referring to three visits claims to be charging me $60.00 per visit for a total of $180.00 being added to my collections account.

This is illegal under the fdcpa as follows (I have bolded what I feel are violations of this act that your company has perpatrated):
?? 805. Communication in connection with debt collection [15 USC 1692c]
(a) COMMUNICATION WITH THE CONSUMER GENERALLY. Without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, a debt collector may not communicate with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt --
(1) at any unusual time or place or a time or place known or which should be known to be inconvenient to the consumer. In the absence of knowledge of circumstances to the contrary, a debt collector shall assume that the convenient time for communicating with a consumer is after 8 o'clock antimeridian and before 9 o'clock postmeridian, local time at the consumer's location;
(2) if the debt collector knows the consumer is represented by an attorney with respect to such debt and has knowledge of, or can readily ascertain, such attorney's name and address, unless the attorney fails to respond within a reasonable period of time to a communication from the debt collector or unless the attorney consents to direct communication with the consumer; or
(3) at the consumer's place of employment if the debt collector knows or has reason to know that the consumer's employer prohibits the consumer from receiving such communication.
(b) COMMUNICATION WITH THIRD PARTIES. Except as provided in section 804, without the prior consent of the consumer given directly to the debt collector, or the express permission of a court of competent jurisdiction, or as reasonably necessary to effectuate a post judgment judicial remedy, a debt collector may not communicate, in connection with the collection of any debt, with any person other than a consumer, his attorney, a consumer reporting agency if otherwise permitted by law, the creditor, the attorney of the creditor, or the attorney of the debt collector.
(c) CEASING COMMUNICATION. If a consumer notifies a debt collector in writing that the consumer refuses to pay a debt or that the consumer wishes the debt collector to cease further communication with the consumer, the debt collector shall not communicate further with the consumer with respect to such debt, except --
(1) to advise the consumer that the debt collector's further efforts are being terminated;
(2) to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor may invoke specified remedies which are ordinarily invoked by such debt collector or creditor; or
(3) where applicable, to notify the consumer that the debt collector or creditor intends to invoke a specified remedy.
If such notice from the consumer is made by mail, notification shall be complete upon receipt.
(d) For the purpose of this section, the term "consumer" includes the consumer's spouse, parent (if the consumer is a minor), guardian, executor, or administrator.
?? 807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1692e]
A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
(1) The false representation or implication that the debt collector is vouched for, bonded by, or affiliated with the United States or any State, including the use of any badge, uniform, or facsimile thereof.
(2) The false representation of --
(A) the character, amount, or legal status of any debt; or
(B) any services rendered or compensation which may be lawfully received by any debt collector for the collection of a debt.
(3) The false representation or implication that any individual is an attorney or that any communication is from an attorney.
(4) The representation or implication that nonpayment of any debt will result in the arrest or imprisonment of any person or the seizure, garnishment, attachment, or sale of any property or wages of any person unless such action is lawful and the debt collector or creditor intends to take such action.
(5) The threat to take any action that cannot legally be taken or that is not intended to be taken.
(6) The false representation or implication that a sale, referral, or other transfer of any interest in a debt shall cause the consumer to --
(A) lose any claim or defense to payment of the debt; or
(B) become subject to any practice prohibited by this title.
(7) The false representation or implication that the consumer committed any crime or other conduct in order to disgrace the consumer.
(8) Communicating or threatening to communicate to any person credit information which is known or which should be known to be false, including the failure to communicate that a disputed debt is disputed.
(9) The use or distribution of any written communication which simulates or is falsely represented to be a document authorized, issued, or approved by any court, official, or agency of the United States or any State, or which creates a false impression as to its source, authorization, or approval.
(10) The use of any false representation or deceptive means to collect or attempt to collect any debt or to obtain information concerning a consumer.
(11) The failure to disclose in the initial written communication with the consumer and, in addition, if the initial communication with the consumer is oral, in that initial oral communication, that the debt collector is attempting to collect a debt and that any information obtained will be used for that purpose, and the failure to disclose in subsequent communications that the communication is from a debt collector, except that this paragraph shall not apply to a formal pleading made in connection with a legal action.
(12) The false representation or implication that accounts have been turned over to innocent purchasers for value.
(13) The false representation or implication that documents are legal process.
(14) The use of any business, company, or organization name other than the true name of the debt collector's business, company, or organization.
(15) The false representation or implication that documents are not legal process forms or do not require action by the consumer.
(16) The false representation or implication that a debt collector operates or is employed by a consumer reporting agency as defined by section 603(f) of this Act.
?? 808. Unfair practices [15 USC 1692f]
A debt collector may not use unfair or unconscionable means to collect or attempt to collect any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section:
(1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.
(2) The acceptance by a debt collector from any person of a check or other payment instrument postdated by more than five days unless such person is notified in writing of the debt collector's intent to deposit such check or instrument not more than ten nor less than three business days prior to such deposit.
(3) The solicitation by a debt collector of any postdated check or other postdated payment instrument for the purpose of threatening or instituting criminal prosecution.
(4) Depositing or threatening to deposit any postdated check or other postdated payment instrument prior to the date on such check or instrument.
(5) Causing charges to be made to any person for communications by concealment of the true propose of the communication. Such charges include, but are not limited to, collect telephone calls and telegram fees.
(6) Taking or threatening to take any nonjudicial action to effect dispossession or disablement of property if --
(A) there is no present right to possession of the property claimed as collateral through an enforceable security interest;
(B) there is no present intention to take possession of the property; or
(C) the property is exempt by law from such dispossession or disablement.
(7) Communicating with a consumer regarding a debt by post card. (NOTE by me (Gerald Lee Tucker), I consider leaving unaddressed envelopes in a Common entrance way open and readily available to neighbors tantamount to being similar to a ???postcard delivery)
(8) Using any language or symbol, other than the debt collector's address, on any envelope when communicating with a consumer by use of the mails or by telegram, except that a debt collector may use his business name if such name does not indicate that he is in the debt collection business.
?? 809. Validation of debts [15 USC 1692g]
(a) Within five days after the initial communication with a consumer in connection with the collection of any debt, a debt collector shall, unless the following information is contained in the initial communication or the consumer has paid the debt, send the consumer a written notice containing --
(1) the amount of the debt;
(2) the name of the creditor to whom the debt is owed;
(3) a statement that unless the consumer, within thirty days after receipt of the notice, disputes the validity of the debt, or any portion thereof, the debt will be assumed to be valid by the debt collector;
(4) a statement that if the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, the debt collector will obtain verification of the debt or a copy of a judgment against the consumer and a copy of such verification or judgment will be mailed to the consumer by the debt collector; and
(5) a statement that, upon the consumer's written request within the thirty-day period, the debt collector will provide the consumer with the name and address of the original creditor, if different from the current creditor.
(b) If the consumer notifies the debt collector in writing within the thirty-day period described in subsection (a) that the debt, or any portion thereof, is disputed, or that the consumer requests the name and address of the original creditor, the debt collector shall cease collection of the debt, or any disputed portion thereof, until the debt collector obtains verification of the debt or any copy of a judgment, or the name and address of the original creditor, and a copy of such verification or judgment, or name and address of the original creditor, is mailed to the consumer by the debt collector.
(c) The failure of a consumer to dispute the validity of a debt under this section may not be construed by any court as an admission of liability by the consumer.

Each of the above violations according to the FDCPA are actionable and collectable in State and Federal Courts for any actual damages (harassment, pain and suffering, lost wages/time, etc) and such additional damages as the court may allow, but not exceeding $1,000 per violation.
?? 813. Civil liability [15 USC 1692k]
(a) Except as otherwise provided by this section, any debt collector who fails to comply with any provision of this title with respect to any person is liable to such person in an amount equal to the sum of --
(1) any actual damage sustained by such person as a result of such failure;
(2) (A) in the case of any action by an individual, such additional damages as the court may allow, but not exceeding $1,000; or
(B) in the case of a class action, (i) such amount for each named plaintiff as could be recovered under subparagraph (A), and (ii) such amount as the court may allow for all other class members, without regard to a minimum individual recovery, not to exceed the lesser of $500,000 or 1 per centum of the net worth of the debt collector; and
(3) in the case of any successful action to enforce the foregoing liability, the costs of the action, together with a reasonable attorney's fee as determined by the court. On a finding by the court that an action under this section was brought in bad faith and for the purpose of harassment, the court may award to the defendant attorney's fees reasonable in relation to the work expended and costs.
(b) In determining the amount of liability in any action under subsection (a), the court shall consider, among other relevant factors --
(1) in any individual action under subsection (a)(2)(A), the frequency and persistence of noncompliance by the debt collector, the nature of such noncompliance, and the extent to which such noncompliance was intentional; or
(2) in any class action under subsection (a)(2)(B), the frequency and persistence of noncompliance by the debt collector, the nature of such noncompliance, the resources of the debt collector, the number of persons adversely affected, and the extent to which the debt collector's noncompliance was intentional.
(c) A debt collector may not be held liable in any action brought under this title if the debt collector shows by a preponderance of evidence that the violation was not intentional and resulted from a bona fide error notwithstanding the maintenance of procedures reasonably adapted to avoid any such error.
(d) An action to enforce any liability created by this title may be brought in any appropriate United States district court without regard to the amount in controversy, or in any other court of competent jurisdiction, within one year from the date on which the violation occurs.
(e) No provision of this section imposing any liability shall apply to any act done or omitted in good faith in conformity with any advisory opinion of the Commission, notwithstanding that after such act or omission has occurred, such opinion is amended, rescinded, or determined by judicial or other authority to be invalid for any reason.

Please read the enclosure for a opinion regarding matters such as these from the Federal Trade Commission in regards to validation of my debt.

Best Regards,

My name
CC: Office of the Indiana Attorney General
Paige's Music

Submitted by on Thu, 04/07/2005 - 09:49

AhhHemmm

I made error in posting that last message and forgot to remove my name/addy info..

Could an Admin please help me as I forgot to sign in and a guest post is not allowed ot be edited :?

Submitted by jtucker on Thu, 04/07/2005 - 15:22

jtucker

Hi jtucker,

Once again a great post! Keep up this great job. It would be great if you start performing as a debt samaritan and help hundreds of debt burdened people with your informative posts and useful counseling. :D

Cheers,
Jason

Submitted by Jason on Mon, 04/11/2005 - 22:44

Jason

( Posts: 2430 | Credits: )