Skip to main content
index page

I made the mistake of accepting multiple credit Cards. Now what?

Submitted by jtucker on Wed, 03/02/2005 - 05:53
Credits:
[Donate]

As my topic states, I am a little unsure of the actual process.

But think I am ready to start down a different road towards my future.

In the past, my current paths and byways have not been so good :(

I have filed bankruptcy twice in the past (mostly due to medical bills and utilities with a little credit card debt thrown in).

Over the last nine years I have climbed from barely making 12/15K a year to making 50K+ a year not even counting my wife's income.

But bad habits and past decisions die hard I have found :(

What should the first steps I take on this path be?

I am so bad at organizing my personal life I am not even sure of the total amount I am in debt for due to Past bills in credit agencies, etc.

I last filed for bankruptcy almost 6 years ago (August of this year is 6 years).

I made the mistake of accepting a couple credit Cards shortly afterwards that my wife and I proceeded to stupidly max out and then defaulted on over time. We are trying to get things worked out, but are kind of struggling to do it the best way possible. She has made an agreement on her and sends in a few dollars a month or when she can. I still have not done anything with mine as of yet.

I do have a secured card ($500.00) as I need something because my job does require me to do some travel and buy/purchase items when needed then file a expense report, and one small ($200.00 limit) unsecured Card both of which I have kept in good standing.

My ultimate goal is to build/buy as house that I need with "special" options as my Wife does have CP and trying to get proper rentals/existing older homes just does not work in my area I currently Live in (Indianapolis, IN), this is also why I have a little higher then "normal" medical expenses for Wheelchairs and other durable Equipment of which my Insurance Flex Account does help on a little.

I know we have bills dating back at least close to six years. Also Last time I saw a credit report it looked like a few old bills from before my last bankruptcy was still on them when I am sure I included them in it.

So.....anyone wants to light that path for me and give me a little guidance. I can see the light shinning way down it but am afraid to tread it alone?

Also, if I was to go the debt consolidation Route, do I and my wife do it jointly or does it have to be done separately? Some of the debts appear in her name only.

Thanks and looking forward to reaching that Light.

Jerry

Oh Yeah forgot....Very Informative and helpful

Great site I had to stubble across, I "googled" Fair Credit Laws and found you. Read many of these Post and topics and have a little hope that light is easier to reach then I previously thought.

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Wed, 03/02/2005 - 05:55

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

Hi jtucker,

It is a great pleasure to know that debt consolidation care could show you some ray of hope at the end of the tunnel.

It is better late than never. Don't loose hope, keep your confidence high and we will mutually reach a solution to help you out of your existing debts. Remember money management is one of the greatest arts one needs to practice in order to lead a financially secured life.

You have already filed bankruptcy twice in the past and you cannot afford to be in that path anymore.

Quote:

I made the mistake of accepting a couple credit Cards. Shortly after that, my wife and I proceeded to stupidly max out and then defaulted on over time.

Credit cards debts are unsecured ones and can be consolidated. Join a debt consolidation program immediately and get rid of your debt burdens. It is very important that you have control over yourself while spending. Being cautious always saves you from a lot of negative consequences in the future.

Quote:

I know we have bills dating back at least close to six years. Also Last time I saw a credit report it looked like a few old bills from before my last bankruptcy was still on them when I am sure I included them in it.

Contact the credit bureaus immediately if you find a dispute in your credit reports. Provide them with a document which can act as a proof that you have cleared the debts in those accounts.

Quote:

Also, if I was to go the Debt Consolidation Route, do me and my wife do it jointly or does it have to be done separately?

Debt consolidation needs to be done separately.

Quote:
So.....anyone wants to light that path for me and give me a little guidance. I can see the light shinning way down it but am afraid to tread it alone?

:D Half of your problem is already solved as you can see the light shinning. You are not alone. We are here for you. We just need your cooperation to free you from debts as soon as possible. Debt consolidation is the right choice for you.

Be in touch and we would appreciate your active participation in the forum in the coming days to come.

Regards,
Jason

Submitted by Jason on Wed, 03/02/2005 - 23:52

Jason

( Posts: 2430 | Credits: )

Hi Jerry,

Welcome to the forums, Jason has already answered your queries in detail. For any query just shot a post and we can discuss it together.

Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Fri, 03/04/2005 - 10:06

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )