Skip to main content
index page

The Right to Validate A Deb

Submitted by jtucker on Tue, 03/08/2005 - 05:34
Credits:
[Donate]

Sorry if this is a little long, but I found this info helpful and figured I would share it here.

Found this while studying my issues:
Under the fdcpa, you are allowed to validate this debt, and the creditor (in this case, the collection agency) must show you proof that you owe the debt to the collection agency (not to the original creditor.

Plus, they must show proof positive that you owe them this debt. It's not enough to send you a computer-generated printout of the debt. There is an opinion letter from the FTC to back this up:

Nor can they ask you to pay for digging up records of your debt:

Division of Credit Practices

1. Section 808 of the Act sets out practices that are unfair or unconscionable, including:

(1) The collection of any amount (including any interest, fee, charge, or expense incidental to the principal obligation) unless such amount is expressly authorized by the agreement creating the debt or permitted by law.

So, if a creditor can't verify a debt:

* They are not allowed to collect the debt,
* They are not allowed to contact you about the debt, and
* They are also not allowed to report it under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). Doing so is a violation of the FCRA, and the FDCPA states that you can sue for $1,000 in damages for any violation of the Act.

The opinion letter from the FTC which clearly spells out that a collection agency CANNOT report a debt to the credit bureaus which has not been validated:

It also states that you can sue in federal or state court. So if you have them on five violations, then you have damages of $5,000. Small claims court, anyone?

Jerry

Hi jtucker and very warm welcome to debt consolidation care forums,

The letters will be very helpful with the other samples at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/letters/

As admin of the site I need to be a little careful with copyright, do these letters have some copyright? I don't want to enter into any copyright issues.

Keep posting such useful resources.

Regards
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Tue, 03/08/2005 - 09:51

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

Not sure on that regard. I found these on some archive with no copyright info attached.

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Tue, 03/08/2005 - 16:23

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )

Sure....

I'll edit my Post and reference those links in your post

Nice job finding them, I can see they are posted on FTC Government Site, so don't know how the copyright is handled for those instances, but they are easier to read anyways and look more official that way :P

Jerry

Submitted by jtucker on Wed, 03/09/2005 - 05:29

jtucker

( Posts: 114 | Credits: )