Skip to main content
index page

Statute of Limitations

Submitted by lizco326 on Sun, 03/13/2005 - 17:14
Credits:
[Donate]

Hi,

I am new to your forum and have a question regarding jurisdiction pertaining to the SOL.

Some of my unpaid debts were originated in Indiana but I have been a Florida resident for over 5 years. The collection agencies try to collect from me in Florida.

Which states' SOL applies? Indiana allows a 10 year SOL, but Florida is only 4-6 years. This is a big difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Liz

Hi Liz,

Welcome to the debt consolidation care forum.

You have come forward with a very interesting query. Sorry for the delay in answering your query.

Quote:

Some of my unpaid debts were originated in Indiana but I have been a Florida resident for over 5 years.

Although you are a resident of Florida, since some of your debts are originated in Indiana you are in a dilemma.

You are eligible to have debts in two or even more States. And the same is applicable with the Statute of Limitations.

Quote:
Which states' SOL applies? Indiana allows a 10 year SOL, but Florida is only 4-6 years.

Since the debts have originated in Indiana, the SOL for those particular debts will also be calculated as per the SOL in Indiana which is 10 years.

Keep asking such interesting queries more often and help the other forum members to have more in-depth knowledge in debt related subjects. :D

Regards,
Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Sat, 03/19/2005 - 01:21

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )