Share post
member profile picture
Credits: 0
[Donate]

I just joined the forum, and I wondered if anyone else had a problem quite like mine. You see, I have been in the process of getting divorced for nearly two eyars now, and i really can't afford a lawyer or anything to expedite the process, thanks to my low income and too high for comfort debt.

You see, while we were married, I paid all off the essential bills (housing, utilities, food), while my ex paid the phone bill (including cell and DSL for his computer) and gas for his car. He made $11.50 an hour as opposed to my $7 an hour, and I had no idea what he did with the rest of his money, as the student loan and credit card people were constantly calling him about his accounts. During this time, I had to juggle utilities, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I had to defer my own student loans and pay most of the bills by credit card.

By the time my ex moved out and in with his new fiancee, both of my credit cards were maxed out, my student loans were in deferment, and it was all I could do just to pay housing and utilities.

As soon as I could, I contacted Discover card, because their minimum payment was more than I could afford (after taxes, I bring home less than $1000 a month). When I asked to close the account and see about paying a smaller amount (what I could afford) until i could get things on an even keel financilly, the woman I talked to was extremely rude and unkind. She reminded me that doing this would "look horrible on [my] credit," and I replied, "What will look worse on my credit report: me closing the account and paying what I can, or me not paying anything on the account at all?" She was rude and pushy, but she finally agreed to close the account and let me pay $50 a month for a year. She was about as helpful as dropping a hammer on my foot. =/

I look at my statement and I shudder, because she said that I'd still have interest building up...and I do, and it isn't pretty.

Is Discover Card uncooperative when it comes to trying to settle debt, or did I just go about it the wrong way? *shakes head* I'm stuck, and it looks like I'm going to need some professional help to be able to get out of this quagmire.

Hi overclerked79

Any thoughts of making your payments now? May be working with some other debt consolidation company. You can go through this site and register yourself for free and if you feel comfortable then only take further steps ahead.

Roxette

Sub: #1 posted on Tue, 04/19/2005 - 13:15

roxette roxette

(Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

[quote=overclerked79]I just joined the forum, and I wondered if anyone else had a problem quite like mine. You see, I have been in the process of getting divorced for nearly two eyars now, and i really can't afford a lawyer or anything to expedite the process, thanks to my low income and too high for comfort debt.

You see, while we were married, I paid all off the essential bills (housing, utilities, food), while my ex paid the phone bill (including cell and DSL for his computer) and gas for his car. He made $11.50 an hour as opposed to my $7 an hour, and I had no idea what he did with the rest of his money, as the student loan and credit card people were constantly calling him about his accounts. During this time, I had to juggle utilities, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I had to defer my own student loans and pay most of the bills by credit card.

By the time my ex moved out and in with his new fiancee, both of my credit cards were maxed out, my student loans were in deferment, and it was all I could do just to pay housing and utilities.

As soon as I could, I contacted Discover card, because their minimum payment was more than I could afford (after taxes, I bring home less than $1000 a month). When I asked to close the account and see about paying a smaller amount (what I could afford) until i could get things on an even keel financilly, the woman I talked to was extremely rude and unkind. She reminded me that doing this would "look horrible on [my] credit," and I replied, "What will look worse on my credit report: me closing the account and paying what I can, or me not paying anything on the account at all?" She was rude and pushy, but she finally agreed to close the account and let me pay $50 a month for a year. She was about as helpful as dropping a hammer on my foot. =/

I look at my statement and I shudder, because she said that I'd still have interest building up...and I do, and it isn't pretty.

Is Discover Card uncooperative when it comes to trying to settle debt, or did I just go about it the wrong way? *shakes head* I'm stuck, and it looks like I'm going to need some professional help to be able to get out of this quagmire.[/quote]

First off don't feel guilty about trying to settle your debt. Those creditors are trained to stymie attempts to negotiate debt. They usually say things like, "you signed the agreement" and "honor your agreement." I had this experience also. You should feel good about yourself because you are trying to be responsible.

Getting professional help is not a bad a idea. A debt counselor would probably be able to help you examine all of your options. Have you looked into debt consolidation? If you are able to make monthly payments, you might be able to pay off this bill through the consolidation route. So when you consult with a counselor ask about it. You may be stuck now, but with a little help, you can find your way out of this situation.

Sub: #2 posted on Tue, 04/19/2005 - 23:29

benjaminz6 benjaminz6
Moderators
(Posts: 257 | Credits: )

There are crests and troughs in life...so never loose hope, but just keep going.We are all here to help you. :D

Cheers,
Jason

Sub: #3 posted on Wed, 04/20/2005 - 00:29

Jason Jason

(Posts: 2427 | Credits: )

Thanks...I work evenings/nights, so I don't typically get a chance to talk with debt consolidation places...it's frustrating...

The worst thing about this was the fact that I had to close the account, which I have had (and paid faithfully on) for nearly seven yers.

Their loss, I suppose...and mine too, since my credit is DOA.

Sub: #4 posted on Sun, 04/24/2005 - 17:44

overclerked79 overclerked79

(Posts: 4 | Credits: )

Hi overclerked79

Since you opted this company for consolidation, then I am sure that everything will just go fine. Trust me, I have seen very few companies like this one dedicated so much for the welfare of the community. I hope they can continue this good work for long.

It's very sad that you had to close your account in which you paid for nearly 7 long years. Alas! It's a tremendous loss of the hard earned money.

Feel strong and stay well

Keep in touch
Roxette

Sub: #5 posted on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 11:43

roxette roxette

Hello

Sorry to hear about your divorced and the length of time it is taking to get out of that hole. Been their done that.

I do have a couple of questions for you. First, was/is Discover card solely in your name? was it a joint account or was he an autherized user.

If the account was solely in your name there's not much you can do but what your doing. However, if it was a joint account or he was an authorized user or he made any purchases against the account he can be held responsible for part of the account. The amount owed is usually based on percentage of income I.E. he makes 75% of the income he's responsible for 75% of the account.

You may also want to contact you local district attorneys office. They should have a list of state funded legal assistance programs and/or attorneys that will help you for little or no money.

If there are children involved you can contact you local child welfare offices for legal assistance.

You did not note what your education level is, did you grad high school? If not get your GED or finsh school. if you finished HS check your local unemployment office for assisted educational improvement programs. Many of these programs will pay you a living wage while going to school to help with expenses.

How long have you been at the job your working, if over six months and your doing a good job you may want to ask for a raise. a 50 cent raise will get 50 to 60 dollars a month more income. A part time job in the waitress field could net you a 100.00 bucks a week in tips or more depending on the scale of the company.

All in All, come up with a plan to better your life. Outline achiveable goals and achive them and then set higher goals. Strive to achive a life were you are not dependant on others for when you need them they more than likly wont be their.

Sub: #6 posted on Mon, 05/30/2005 - 11:47

Unregistered

Hi all

A proper planning and budgeting helps a lot in averting some serious problems especially in times of financial crisis.

Please keep posting in the forums and let's make this place rocking! :D

Regards
Roxette

Sub: #7 posted on Mon, 05/30/2005 - 16:04

roxette roxette

I personally work at discover card and my job is to phone discover clients and offer them a service called discover payment protection. This program costs 89cents for every 100dollars of your debt and if you had such a program, then you would've been able to put your account on hold for 2 years without any interest or late fees and you could've paid off your debt. Many people refuse this offer and when they get into difficulty making payments, they should not blame the company for high interest rates or high minimum payments. I'm sorry if the girl was rude to you, because there are rude people in every company, but many are nice and are trying to help. I hope you don't let one person's impression ruin your view of a company. Hope it serves as a good lesson to read what companies offer you sometimes, because personally, i believe the dpp program we offer is a great program although it isn't "free". just my 2 cents.

Sub: #8 posted on Sat, 02/18/2006 - 17:55

Unregistered

overclerked...my husband had a credit card with Discover for almost 10 yrs and we fell on hard times, and I started calling my credit cards to make arrangements, and I actually found that Disover was the ONLY credit card willing to work with me....you got the wrong person. They have a hardship department, separate from the regular 800 number that you call for customer service. You need to call customer service again and ask for the number to the hardship dept., they lowered our interest rate to 8%, waived all our late fees and over the limit fees, and after 3 months of paying on time, they gave a positive report to the credit bureaus. I will try to see if I have the number to that dept somewhere, but I would suggest that you do that. Now 75% of my payments are going to the principle balance, so it is actually going down quite a bit each month.

Sub: #9 posted on Sun, 02/19/2006 - 18:51

TMD TMD

(Posts: 280 | Credits: )

i want to ask if is legal discover card send a new statement for june 3-2006 like this:may 4 payment protection 23,10.late fee 39,00.overlimit fee 39,00 .minimium payment is 101,10.cash BONUS BALANCE AVAILABLE TO REDEEM IS 0,48 CENTS!(cash bonus aniversary date may 4.is it a joke of 0,48 cents?)!!MY HUSBAND IS PAYING EVERY MONTH 50,00 and i think discover card is charging a lot of fees and i want to ask if all these fees are legal and if 50,00payment every month is not good enough for pay a bill.

Sub: #10 posted on Wed, 05/10/2006 - 20:39

Unregistered

Attachment
More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.834 seconds.