Skip to main content
index page

Discover Card Rudeness

Submitted by overclerked79 on Tue, 04/19/2005 - 12:31
Credits:
[Donate]

I just joined the forum, and I wondered if anyone else had a problem quite like mine. You see, I have been in the process of getting divorced for nearly two eyars now, and i really can't afford a lawyer or anything to expedite the process, thanks to my low income and too high for comfort debt.

You see, while we were married, I paid all off the essential bills (housing, utilities, food), while my ex paid the phone bill (including cell and DSL for his computer) and gas for his car. He made $11.50 an hour as opposed to my $7 an hour, and I had no idea what he did with the rest of his money, as the student loan and credit card people were constantly calling him about his accounts. During this time, I had to juggle utilities, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I had to defer my own student loans and pay most of the bills by credit card.

By the time my ex moved out and in with his new fiancee, both of my credit cards were maxed out, my student loans were in deferment, and it was all I could do just to pay housing and utilities.

As soon as I could, I contacted Discover card, because their minimum payment was more than I could afford (after taxes, I bring home less than $1000 a month). When I asked to close the account and see about paying a smaller amount (what I could afford) until i could get things on an even keel financilly, the woman I talked to was extremely rude and unkind. She reminded me that doing this would "look horrible on [my] credit," and I replied, "What will look worse on my credit report: me closing the account and paying what I can, or me not paying anything on the account at all?" She was rude and pushy, but she finally agreed to close the account and let me pay $50 a month for a year. She was about as helpful as dropping a hammer on my foot. =/

I look at my statement and I shudder, because she said that I'd still have interest building up...and I do, and it isn't pretty.

Is Discover Card uncooperative when it comes to trying to settle debt, or did I just go about it the wrong way? *shakes head* I'm stuck, and it looks like I'm going to need some professional help to be able to get out of this quagmire.

[quote=overclerked79]I just joined the forum, and I wondered if anyone else had a problem quite like mine. You see, I have been in the process of getting divorced for nearly two eyars now, and i really can't afford a lawyer or anything to expedite the process, thanks to my low income and too high for comfort debt.

You see, while we were married, I paid all off the essential bills (housing, utilities, food), while my ex paid the phone bill (including cell and DSL for his computer) and gas for his car. He made $11.50 an hour as opposed to my $7 an hour, and I had no idea what he did with the rest of his money, as the student loan and credit card people were constantly calling him about his accounts. During this time, I had to juggle utilities, robbing Peter to pay Paul, and I had to defer my own student loans and pay most of the bills by credit card.

By the time my ex moved out and in with his new fiancee, both of my credit cards were maxed out, my student loans were in deferment, and it was all I could do just to pay housing and utilities.

As soon as I could, I contacted Discover card, because their minimum payment was more than I could afford (after taxes, I bring home less than $1000 a month). When I asked to close the account and see about paying a smaller amount (what I could afford) until i could get things on an even keel financilly, the woman I talked to was extremely rude and unkind. She reminded me that doing this would "look horrible on [my] credit," and I replied, "What will look worse on my credit report: me closing the account and paying what I can, or me not paying anything on the account at all?" She was rude and pushy, but she finally agreed to close the account and let me pay $50 a month for a year. She was about as helpful as dropping a hammer on my foot. =/

I look at my statement and I shudder, because she said that I'd still have interest building up...and I do, and it isn't pretty.

Is Discover Card uncooperative when it comes to trying to settle debt, or did I just go about it the wrong way? *shakes head* I'm stuck, and it looks like I'm going to need some professional help to be able to get out of this quagmire.[/quote]

First off don't feel guilty about trying to settle your debt. Those creditors are trained to stymie attempts to negotiate debt. They usually say things like, "you signed the agreement" and "honor your agreement." I had this experience also. You should feel good about yourself because you are trying to be responsible.

Getting professional help is not a bad a idea. A debt counselor would probably be able to help you examine all of your options. Have you looked into debt consolidation? If you are able to make monthly payments, you might be able to pay off this bill through the consolidation route. So when you consult with a counselor ask about it. You may be stuck now, but with a little help, you can find your way out of this situation.

Submitted by benjaminz6 on Tue, 04/19/2005 - 23:29

benjaminz6

( Posts: 256 | Credits: )

There are crests and troughs in life...so never loose hope, but just keep going.We are all here to help you. :D

Cheers,
Jason

Submitted by Jason on Wed, 04/20/2005 - 00:29

Jason

( Posts: 2430 | Credits: )

Thanks...I work evenings/nights, so I don't typically get a chance to talk with debt consolidation places...it's frustrating...

The worst thing about this was the fact that I had to close the account, which I have had (and paid faithfully on) for nearly seven yers.

Their loss, I suppose...and mine too, since my credit is DOA.

Submitted by overclerked79 on Sun, 04/24/2005 - 17:44

overclerked79

( Posts: 4 | Credits: )

Hi overclerked79

Since you opted this company for consolidation, then I am sure that everything will just go fine. Trust me, I have seen very few companies like this one dedicated so much for the welfare of the community. I hope they can continue this good work for long.

It's very sad that you had to close your account in which you paid for nearly 7 long years. Alas! It's a tremendous loss of the hard earned money.

Feel strong and stay well

Keep in touch
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Mon, 04/25/2005 - 11:43

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

Hello

Sorry to hear about your divorced and the length of time it is taking to get out of that hole. Been their done that.

I do have a couple of questions for you. First, was/is Discover card solely in your name? was it a joint account or was he an autherized user.

If the account was solely in your name there's not much you can do but what your doing. However, if it was a joint account or he was an authorized user or he made any purchases against the account he can be held responsible for part of the account. The amount owed is usually based on percentage of income I.E. he makes 75% of the income he's responsible for 75% of the account.

You may also want to contact you local district attorneys office. They should have a list of state funded legal assistance programs and/or attorneys that will help you for little or no money.

If there are children involved you can contact you local child welfare offices for legal assistance.

You did not note what your education level is, did you grad high school? If not get your GED or finsh school. if you finished HS check your local unemployment office for assisted educational improvement programs. Many of these programs will pay you a living wage while going to school to help with expenses.

How long have you been at the job your working, if over six months and your doing a good job you may want to ask for a raise. a 50 cent raise will get 50 to 60 dollars a month more income. A part time job in the waitress field could net you a 100.00 bucks a week in tips or more depending on the scale of the company.

All in All, come up with a plan to better your life. Outline achiveable goals and achive them and then set higher goals. Strive to achive a life were you are not dependant on others for when you need them they more than likly wont be their.

Submitted by on Mon, 05/30/2005 - 11:47

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

I personally work at discover card and my job is to phone discover clients and offer them a service called discover payment protection. This program costs 89cents for every 100dollars of your debt and if you had such a program, then you would've been able to put your account on hold for 2 years without any interest or late fees and you could've paid off your debt. Many people refuse this offer and when they get into difficulty making payments, they should not blame the company for high interest rates or high minimum payments. I'm sorry if the girl was rude to you, because there are rude people in every company, but many are nice and are trying to help. I hope you don't let one person's impression ruin your view of a company. Hope it serves as a good lesson to read what companies offer you sometimes, because personally, i believe the dpp program we offer is a great program although it isn't "free". just my 2 cents.

Submitted by on Sat, 02/18/2006 - 17:55

overclerked...my husband had a credit card with Discover for almost 10 yrs and we fell on hard times, and I started calling my credit cards to make arrangements, and I actually found that Disover was the ONLY credit card willing to work with me....you got the wrong person. They have a hardship department, separate from the regular 800 number that you call for customer service. You need to call customer service again and ask for the number to the hardship dept., they lowered our interest rate to 8%, waived all our late fees and over the limit fees, and after 3 months of paying on time, they gave a positive report to the credit bureaus. I will try to see if I have the number to that dept somewhere, but I would suggest that you do that. Now 75% of my payments are going to the principle balance, so it is actually going down quite a bit each month.

Submitted by TMD on Sun, 02/19/2006 - 18:51

TMD

( Posts: 280 | Credits: )

i want to ask if is legal discover card send a new statement for june 3-2006 like this:may 4 payment protection 23,10.late fee 39,00.overlimit fee 39,00 .minimium payment is 101,10.cash BONUS BALANCE AVAILABLE TO REDEEM IS 0,48 CENTS!(cash bonus aniversary date may 4.is it a joke of 0,48 cents?)!!MY HUSBAND IS PAYING EVERY MONTH 50,00 and i think discover card is charging a lot of fees and i want to ask if all these fees are legal and if 50,00payment every month is not good enough for pay a bill.

Submitted by on Wed, 05/10/2006 - 20:39

Credit cards can charge over the limit fees and late fees if he is late paying every month. You said he is paying $50.00 every month...you need to check and see if his payments are on time, if they are then they should not be charging late fees. If his payments are late, maybe you can rearrange your budget to start paying earlier each month, by the due date. You can also call Discover and ask them if they are willing to lower the interest rates for you for a little while, they did when I asked so it is worth a try for you.

Submitted by on Thu, 05/11/2006 - 04:03

my husband just paying discover card 85,00 this month of august 2006 and the man from discover card wants 240,00.i need time and i go to convince my husband to put all his bills with debt consolidation care.i want to see if the attorney general of florida go to make citybank to pay for some bills he has here because of citybank overcharged him for 18 years with all types of fees .my only wish is that the attorney general of florida make justice for my husband.(we have to wait 60 days but we have a case already)i dont believe that people that he is paying every month continue harassed him for more money!!a man blind and mentally ill with 623,00 a month and he is paying all his bills. my family is helping me to help him with his bills and i hope this people sttoped to call here at 8pm to ask for more money.if he didnt care he goes to bancarrota.if i live him he dont go to eat for pay this people.a normal person just with this salary and disability never would believe he can pay this bills.is not fare people just is stealing a lot of money of a poor man that believe that accounts from 88 and without credit cards and not in credit reports from long time are valid accounts.ask citibank how they do that.

Submitted by on Tue, 08/08/2006 - 18:09

discover card is charging 23.60 for Payment Protection PPD1877-883-1959.(exorbitant pRICE FOR A PPD).discover is giving 48 cents of cash back.finance charge is 44.74.my husband paid a 100,00 october 2,2006payment thank yoU.OCTOBER 4-06 0VERLIMIT FEE IS 39.00.THE BILL IS 2675.98 AND MINIMIUM PAYMENT DUE IS 101.00.IS NOT FAIR BECAUSE A 1 DOLLAR LESS YOU HAVE TO PAY 39,00.(overlimit fee).my husband is blind and these people of discover card told him to pay 100,00.I THINK I UNDERSTAND GOOD AND I KNOW I HAVE TO TAKE ENGLISH 101 IN THE UNIVERSITY FOR WRITE BETTER EnglISH.i'm so good in matematics.

Submitted by on Wed, 10/11/2006 - 16:39

I don't understand. If $23.60 is too much then cancel this payment protection plan. There is always a charge for being over the limit, and it is to keep you from going over your budget and charging a fee for this is the way the banks make money. I agree it doesn't seem fair to charge such high fees for going over the limit, but they are a business making money. To avoid further conflict and to avoid hurting your standing with this company pay the $101.

Submitted by WHEREAMI? on Wed, 10/11/2006 - 17:02

WHEREAMI?

( Posts: 5263 | Credits: )

Discover card has a matrix they follow to settle on debts .There are some months they dont even settle on accounts most of the time you need to be over 120 days delenquent or employees are not even allowed to discuss a settlement at all .And I mean say anything at all about them ! it is a good company and they are very fair being on the phones there for ten years most of the time what I found was customers calling in and making demands , yelling as soon as you say hello and telling you what to do instead of asking for help and being polite .I had a lady call in and say This is XXX gave an account number she was only 50 days behind she said we are settling with her for 500.00 on a 15,000 dollar bal and take it or leave it .People have to understand we are regulated by the government and we have laws we have to follow we cant just do that .Most of the time we are willing to help if you calm down dont call them and tell them what they are going to do .They dont have to settle with you or help you at all .If you are over 60 days behind ask for a program but most people who complain are unreasonable.

Submitted by on Sat, 03/31/2007 - 20:26

I'm really angry with discover card.
Today,saturday at 8:32 am this
Telephone from discovery card call
My husband and stay quiet in the phone
(801-9022091).mute caller with a bad
Intention to harassed my husband
Blind and mentally ill that already
Paid discover card a 60,00 in 6-01-07
And i have a letter here from discover
That i received yesterday in the mail.

Http://www.whocalled.us/lookup/8019022091

Submitted by tsacgiv on Sat, 06/09/2007 - 06:39

tsacgiv

( Posts: 2106 | Credits: )

I told people in who called us that i told the mute caller from discover card that called today at
8:30 am in this saturday morning that
i will write a complaint about them in debt consolidation care forum
And i will put this number in who called us?
801-9022091 with more complaints.
Just now at 10 am they call again.
Mute caller again.
They just call at 10:am in miami.
69* service bell south told me the number is
801 902 2091.

Submitted by tsacgiv on Sat, 06/09/2007 - 07:04

tsacgiv

THE LADY FROM DISCOVER CARD TOLD MY HUSBAND TODAY HE HAS A CASH BACK ALWAYS HE USES DISCOVER CARD.
I SCREAMED NEAR THE TELEPHONE THAT DISCOVER CARD HAS A CASH BACK OF 48 CENTS!!!
SHE ASKED MY HUSBAND IF I HAVE INTERNET AND HE SAID:
YES.
SHE HANG UP VERY FAST.

Submitted by tsacgiv on Mon, 03/24/2008 - 18:49

tsacgiv

I opened a new discover card in July and they started chaging for payment protection paln on my balace transferred. As I did not use this card for purchase i did not relize they are charing from August'08. When I called today, they were rude and it took 20mins. to get to the agent. They say I agreed on Phone to the plan, I am not sure how and when. It seems they are rushing to end the call by canceling the program and give 1 month credit.. Beware of any calls from Discover, you may not know what you are signing up for...

Submitted by on Tue, 12/02/2008 - 12:52

We are in the same situation. We didn't use this card for purchase since Julay 2008 and keep paid it off and never pay attention on online statments. Today I noticed that they automaticaly push us on plan protection (PPD) and charge us for that about 68$ every month!!!! i want to cry, the total is already 450$!!!! Unbelivable!!! I know for sure, not me, not my husband never agreed and never ever were asked about signing up for this plan!!!! What to do???? I will call tomorrow, but from prev. responses looks like we can just cancel the plan, but never get our money back.

Submitted by on Tue, 01/27/2009 - 21:25

I gave complaint to ftc today about discover card.
My husband still paying since 4 years a high payment protection ppd 1877-883-1959 of$ 26.18.
Discover change his date of payment to 30 of each month.
Discover charged a late fee to my husband blind and mentally ill either because he pay discover card in 2 of each month.
Oct2 payment of 100,00
sep 30 late fee of 39,00
oct 4 payment protection ppd 1-877-883-1959 26,18
purchase of 65?
Finance charges is 55,62.
Balance is 2968.33.
How he can pay a ppd(payment protection )of 26,18 in discover card?
My husband is paying a ppd over 20,oo over 4 years.
Ftc complaint.

Submitted by tsacgiv on Sun, 10/11/2009 - 05:09

tsacgiv

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
THANKS SHAZZERS FOR THIS GREAT PAGE.HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY!!!
HAPPY COLUMBUS DAY FOR ALL GREAT MEMBERS OF DCC(DEBT CONSOLIDATION CARE FORUM).
THANKS WHERAMI FOR TELL ME IS TOO HIGH THE PPD OF 23,60 3 YEARS AGO.(2006)
MY HUSBAND BLIND AND MENTALLY ILL DID NOT UNDERSTAND DISCOVER ARE STEALING MONEY FROM HIM BUT HE IS SAD.
THANK YOU ALL FANTASTIC MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM.
I KNOW MY ENGLISH IS BAD BUT PEOPLE FROM DCC ARE ANGELS AND THEY DIDNT CARE ABOUT MY BAD ENGLISH.
DCC HELP ME ALWAYS AND IT IS FREE!!!
I LOVE DEBT CONSOLIDATION CARE FORUM MEMBERS.
HAPPY COLLUMBUS DAY FOR EVERYBODY!!!

Submitted by tsacgiv on Sun, 10/11/2009 - 05:21

tsacgiv

Dearest shazzers discover card do not want to change payment due date in 30 of each month.
My husband called customer service and the employee from discover told my husband she cannot change the day for the begin of each month again.
I think is illegally to do it.every customer have a right to change the date of payment due.
Discover want to charge late fee payment to him every month.
My husband received only 690,00 for month because he is blind(ssecurity disability).

Submitted by tsacgiv on Tue, 10/27/2009 - 11:04

tsacgiv

Hi guys, I am in the same situation. I haven't been using this credit card and just noticed that they had me enrolled in the PPD for more almost a year now. The total ads up to more >$700. I never signed up for this plan. I will call tomorrow to cancel the plan. But did any of you manage to get back his/her money back?
Looking forward to hearing back from you all.
Thanks

Submitted by on Mon, 10/11/2010 - 18:52