Skip to main content
index page

leaving the country to escape debt ?

Submitted by on Wed, 05/04/2005 - 09:31
Credits:
[Donate]

Dear Sirs,

I am overwhelmed. I had to close my business (sole propr.) after 6 years, and have accumulated $150,000 in debt with 12 different credit cards and two credit lnes from 2 different banks. I now am unemployed, looking for a job, and living with my sister. All I have is a car, which I owe half of it. I am considering leaving the country, will they go after me? I don't have a house or property. Please help me!

get organise running away will not resolve anithyng

Submitted by on Wed, 05/04/2005 - 11:37

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

Quote:

I am considering leaving the country, will they go after me? I don't have a house or property. Please help me!

They can't follow you in other country. We have discussed the issue in detail at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/about122.html and also related thread at http://www.debtconsolidationcare.com/forums/about346.html .

Experian has an existence both in UK and USA but the laws are different and thus difficult to trace the debts in any other country. In case you are planning to come back then your US credit report will show the debt.

Welcome to the forums, have you tried any other means of debt settlement before making the final move.

Vikas

Submitted by Vikas on Wed, 05/04/2005 - 11:41

Vikas

( Posts: 2019 | Credits: )

Hi Guest,

If you have gone through the posts mentioned by Vikas discussed in this forum, then you must have understood that the debts won't chase you to another country. However, when you stay at another country, make sure that you don't build in the same debt again. Always try to have a regular flow of income as only expenses and no income will add misery in your life as it did now.

But also make your self well aware, that when you return back to this country if you are not able to settle abroad, then you will have to clear your dues.

Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Thu, 05/05/2005 - 11:02

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

What are the legal issues when relocating from the US to the UK? I don't have a very large amount of debt, but am interested in what might happen if I was to stop making the minimum payment.

Submitted by on Fri, 12/09/2005 - 09:46

Hi vclb

Welcome to the forums.

If you leave the states without paying the debt, you might have a judgment when you will return back here.

Otherwise, the lenders will try to contact you if they have network in other countries and force you on making payments.

But, this account will not be shown in your credit file as long as you are living in the new country. This is because FCRA laws are not the same across borders.

If you stay for a longer duration above 7 years out of this country, this account will go out of the FCRA reporting time and the SOL might also have expired well before this time.

But being a responsible citizen, I will always suggest you to pay the said debt. There should be no reasons to invite tension across the border.

Regards
Roxette

Submitted by roxette on Fri, 12/09/2005 - 10:41

roxette

( Posts: 4009 | Credits: )

i was terminated by our company six months ago,and i did not able to pay my credit card dues,right now i am in my home country(philippines),2 days ago somebody came here and told me that they are from the bank in uae an agent,do they have the right to force me to pay for my debt?

Submitted by on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 05:18

Hi,
have you considered the pros and cons of filing for bankrutcy vs leaving for another country?
I just think maybe bankruptcy could help you clear off your debts and give you a chance for a fresh start in your country, without running the risk of having your debts remain on your file if you leave the country... I mean, you never know how life turns, one day you may want to come back and start a business.
My suggestion is - take a free course of financial literacy and a free counceling session with a non-profit debt management organization, where they look through your bills and debts and give you professional advice. There must be such organizations in your area. Just make sure they really are non-profit.
Good luck!

Submitted by jonnydebt2 on Fri, 05/08/2009 - 06:49

jonnydebt2

( Posts: 2 | Credits: )