Skip to main content
index page

Experts please help!!! Debt collectors contacted me when I don't owe anything!

Submitted by abhisam on Sat, 03/17/2012 - 00:20
[Donate]

I live in California.
I work in the staffing/recruiting industry. I worked for a company in California from 2007 through 2009 that is now bankrupt or on the verge of bankruptcy. I worked for that company as a recruiter (employee) and from time to time, signed employee contracts when I placed candidates at our client locations.
Now one of the companies with whom the company did business sent me a letter through a debt collector to collect money on their behalf. My guess is, they found my name as a recruiter on one of the company documents and are now trying to pin me as liable for the money that the company owes to them. I just received the letter today (the letter has the creditor's name, amount, debt collector's name and some other details). They have asked me to reply within 30 days. I am planning to send a debt validation request. I don't know how they can find me liable for a debt that the company owes to them, when I was merely an employee there. In my opinion, they don't have a case against me, but nevertheless I want to be prepared for the battle.
Is there anything else I can do other than sending a debt validation request at this point? What else can I expect from them and what should be my next step? Do they have a case against me?
I am really stressed about this letter and I would really appreciate any help that you guys can extend in this matter!!!
- abhisam

i somewhat agree spacblank.if you have a good address and send a c&d,and they violate it.you sew them a good one and collect 1,000.00.simple as that.

Submitted by paulmergel on Mon, 03/19/2012 - 06:59

paulmergel

( Posts: 15514 | Credits: )

OK, lets not get ahead of ourselves here--the FDCPA, last time I checked, only applied to consumer debts, not to business debts. So you cannot sue them under FDCPA statutes. They may also state that they are under no legal obligation to validate either--because again, that requirement is in the FDCPA, and doesnt apply the same to business debts.

I would definitely dispute the debt, and inform them that while you were an employee of the company, you were not in any capacity while employed there that would make you liable for the company's failed performance in this matter. If they are smart they will seek other targets. If they insist on coming after you, then you may have to inform a judge that you were merely an employee and therefore not liable for company debts in any way, shape, or form. But it comes to that, you would probably have a good case for harassment against the debt collector--because you will have informed them of this information, and if they choose to proceed anyways, they clearly knew better.

Submitted by skydivr7673 on Mon, 03/19/2012 - 12:28

skydivr7673

( Posts: 2036 | Credits: )