Skip to main content
index page

discover settlement

Submitted by chrissyhen1 on Fri, 08/19/2011 - 07:44
Credits:
[Donate]

I just settled with discover for 50 percent -- I was able to borrow some more funds to finish with them -- it was going to an attorney next month and didn't want to wait it out for a possible 30 to 35 percent -- which with legal fees and more interest added would be like splitting hairs --

anyway -- I feel good -- it was the most I paid on a settlement but another one down --

this is what I have left --

Amex(nco) 20k
old navy (now with nco) -- 1800
chase -- 30k --

thats it --

big ones coming up -- chase seems the nicest --
nco -- not as bad as I thought they would be --
any advise -- appreciate it all -- I'll be glad when these are done --

I would also like to post if it wasn't for this forum and these people I would never have been able to even think about this -- I had a conversation with one of my neighbors last night and guess what -- she's in the same boat with settlement and housing problems -- everyone goes around thinking its just them but its not!!! -- and this forum was a way for me to see that and feel better about myself --

thank you!!!

I read that you should not make first offers. 3 months seems early.

Disc really tried to push their 60/60 program with me until about 2 weeks before Charge Off, then I was the first to ask if they settled. We countered a couple of times and then they wouldn't go any lower and I took their offer which was actually 31 per cent of original balance.

Submitted by on Sat, 03/30/2013 - 08:01

( Posts: 202330 | Credits: )

We settled Discover for 50% at the end of the year and I was thrilled. Congrats to you!!! Keep going. The feeling at the end is amazing!

We had Chase too and they were one of the easiest to settle with. I believe our final number was 22%. Keep talking to them and we had to ask them a few times to submit a settlement offer. Also we had a problem with their settlement letters twice so read them thoroughly and don't be afraid to call them back and tell them if it doesn't say what you agreed to.

The light us at the end of the tunnel. Keep heading in that direction.

Submitted by debtinthedistance on Mon, 08/22/2011 - 15:25

debtinthedistance

( Posts: 89 | Credits: )

thank you so much !!

I will definetly check out everything -- I appreciate all your help --

I just got another settlement letter offer in the mail from chase for 70 percent -- It said its not a lotto ticket rip here --

guess they were being funny --

anyway -- I really appreciate your posts -- will keep you up to date --

Submitted by chrissyhen1 on Wed, 08/24/2011 - 08:14

chrissyhen1

( Posts: 151 | Credits: )

I settled a discover around 50% as well.

They dragged it into court, and after almost a year we struck a deal. Making payments over 6 months.

The nice thing was prior to the court suit we clobbered the law firm with an fdcpa suit, so with what they paid out factered in, it was really a 25% settlement...

Submitted by maggie22 on Wed, 08/24/2011 - 13:25

maggie22

( Posts: 140 | Credits: )

Hello: all those lucky discover settlement holder, can you please tell me how many payment missing were you before settlement? I am 3 payment behind and they are telling me that discover do not settle. How do I deal with them?

Raiman

Submitted by bengaliman_NY on Fri, 08/26/2011 - 10:49

bengaliman_NY

( Posts: | Credits: )

I'm wondering how long Discover will keep talking to me before they write off? and then sue? Does Discover ever go to a reasonable collection agency?
My last payment was 4/8. I talk to them every two weeks, but so far have only been able to get 27% reduction. I am really, really tight and can only make it work at 50%! Of course, lower would be better, but 50% sounds like the best I can hope for. I'm all about waiting, but would prefer not to get sued.

Submitted by yogagirl on Sat, 08/27/2011 - 11:22

yogagirl

( Posts: 32 | Credits: )

Thanks for the advice, Chrissy!

The other thing I'm pretty stressed about right now is that Citi/THD forwarded my account to Zakheim. I've only spoken to them once, but they told me no way anything lower than 70%. What I'm reading here is that Zakheim will sue me. MarieMagge thought she had a contact that could help, but I guess that hasn't panned out. I really don't know what to do with Zakheim - if I had 70% I wouldn't be in this boat. Should I request verification in order to stall?

Submitted by yogagirl on Wed, 08/31/2011 - 12:03

yogagirl

what's the strategy on getting something lower than 40% with Discover? Mine is over due for more than a year now but they still wouldn't budge.

Submitted by Jack Terra on Thu, 09/15/2011 - 20:18

Jack Terra

( Posts: 2 | Credits: )

Jack,

I have to lift my jaw up off the floor. I can't believe your account is more than a year delinquent, and they are not budging. Who has been assigned to the account for collections? Are you negotiating with a law firm, collection agency or Discover?

Submitted by mariemegge on Fri, 09/16/2011 - 09:03

mariemegge

( Posts: 168 | Credits: )

Can someone please clarify? I thought if your went to court and they get a judgement it would be for the entire amount plus legal fees, and they can garnish 25% of wages. Do judges reduce the balance? If so, on what basis?

Submitted by yogagirl on Sat, 09/17/2011 - 05:38

yogagirl

yes, that's exactly what I meant -- usually even in court they will try to settle with you -- yes the legal fees and the full amount are there --- but they will try to finish it off there so they don't have to obtain a garnishment --

after a judgement is issued they can get a garnishment -- in new york, for my state it is 10 percent of wages -- all states are different --

and even after a judgement you can still settle -- just depends on the creditor -- they all have diff rules which is why its best to search the forum under their names --
:D

Submitted by chrissyhen1 on Mon, 09/19/2011 - 08:26

chrissyhen1

Hi Chrissy,

You're exactly right. A letter from any in-state attorney for debt collection should be treated very seriously. Great job on your progress.

Submitted by Jared Strauss on Sun, 02/24/2013 - 21:47

Jared Strauss

( Posts: 74 | Credits: )

I have another discover coming up one thing to remember -- if your card goes to an attorney's office in state -- they are probably getting ready to sue you -- so far 50 percent the best I've heard with discover before charge off

Submitted by chrissyhen1 on Tue, 02/19/2013 - 10:53

chrissyhen1

I was able to settle my account with Discover for 36 per cent of original balance just before charge off. Glad to get this done, now on to the others (and the taxes).

Submitted by on Mon, 03/25/2013 - 08:08

I read that you can send an offer to them. I sent a 20% offer at 90 days. Said the normal stuff. Did anyone do that? Is it better to wait for them to make an offer?

Submitted by on Fri, 03/29/2013 - 15:49