Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Student Loans and Education Debt forums

Student loan default impact on co-signer

member profile picture
Posts: 1
Credits: 0

My 80 yr old dad co-signed about $50k of student loans for my niece. She graduated and got a job but says she can't repay. My parents get soc security and have some retirement income from my dad's job. they no way have or will have the money to repay this loan if my niece defaults. What happens?

There's a specific forum for Student Loans...try posting this question there so that it'll get attention. I know Soaplady is around and she knows the deal when it comes to student loans.

First off ~ Are these federal or private loans? Has she had late payments so far?

Like I these questions and answers over on the other forum ~ I'm sure you'll get the information you're looking for :)

Sub: #1 posted on Sun, 11/02/2008 - 09:23

debrag_25 debrag_25

(Posts: 220 | Credits: )

With a cosignor, these are more than likely private loans. If the niece defaults, it will go into collections and your both your dad and your niece will be sued. You might wanna suggest that your niece work a second job before this gets out of hand....she will not like what will happen if she defaults.

Sub: #2 posted on Sun, 11/02/2008 - 12:19

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

I never had anyone co-sign for my student loan. However....a friend of mine had her co-sign on hers. The Student Loan went into default. BOTH my friend and her dad were sued over it. They BOTH have to pay. Hope this information helps.

Sub: #3 posted on Sun, 11/02/2008 - 14:04

sdchargers_63 sdchargers_63

(Posts: 1798 | Credits: )

My son has paid very little on his rather large loan since graduating 5 years ago. He has successfully deferred the loan numerous times but I have also receive letters from Sallie Mae when he does not pay. I am tired of these letters.

My son will come into a fairly large sum of prize money in a half year or so. He tells me he wants to use the money for other things rather than pay down his debt. What are my legal rights to force him touse the money to pay down his debt which accrues interest regularly. Can I put alien on the windfall?

Sub: #4 posted on Wed, 12/10/2008 - 19:12


You son is an have no legal rights whatsoever.

Did you cosign on loans with him?

You son will learn...eventually. One day he will want good credit.

Sub: #5 posted on Wed, 12/10/2008 - 20:40

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

if the loan defaults, couldn't the 'prize money' essentially be taken from him if sued?

apikuros, even though you have no legal rights on your son, you need to give him a swift kick of reality, get him to realize how much damage this is doing to YOU too. I learned very quickly how much damage I did to my co-signer by not paying on time. Now I have been on time for over a year.

Sub: #6 posted on Thu, 12/11/2008 - 00:42

drjonah drjonah

(Posts: 244 | Credits: )

I the loan defaults, mom or the lender would have to take son to court and win a judgement before any moneys could be taken...that is provided there is any money left.

Sub: #7 posted on Thu, 12/11/2008 - 04:45

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

I am more than angry because I co-sign for my ex-hubby in 2001 when we were not married to go to computer school. The student loan was defaulted in 2007 when I was separated with him. Now i am the only one they can get in contact with when they call. This is destroying my credit and he doesn't seem to care. What can I do legally to get my name off this sallie mae student loan? It's about 7,500 dollars and I have paid $1, 600 already into this debt. I can no longer pay them anymore please help.

Sub: #8 posted on Wed, 01/21/2009 - 18:45

Unregistered the cosignor you are are just as liable for this debt as your ex hubby. You cannot get your name removed. Your choice now is to hunker down and get it paid off or locate your ex and let the CA know how to find him.

Sub: #9 posted on Wed, 01/21/2009 - 19:09

Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17319 | Credits: )

my son will be divorcing his wife. they will be signing separation papers soon. (they live in n.c.). my son co signed for her son from a former marriage for him to get a student loan. now that things have split can my son get his name emoved as co signer.

Sub: #10 posted on Tue, 05/05/2009 - 16:57


Page loaded in 1.313 seconds.