Share post
Debt Consolidation Forums Collection agencies and creditors forums

How to stop harassment by collection agency

member profile picture
Posts: 4009
Credits: 0


You can legally stop all the harassing phone calls from the collection agencies. You can send a cease and desist letter via certified mail to a collection agency and request them to stop contacting you.

However, make sure you have a copy of this letter for future reference. Once the collection agency receives this letter, they are required to stop communicating with you under the FDCPA law. They can only inform you about the actions that will be taken against you.

No, there is no reason to wait that long. In fact, it'd be better if you can draw-out the settlement plan with the original creditor.

What is the present status of the of the account? Are you already behind payments? If so, how many installments have you missed so far?

Have you tried negotiating a settlement with the OC yet? If not, than that is your point to begin with.

Sub: #71 posted on Wed, 08/19/2009 - 01:33

(Posts: 3937 | Credits: )

I have read thru this forum and I have a question that I haven't seen asked here. There is a collection agency in MO, where I used to live, that has never contacted me. I found listed on credit report from experian and equifax. I live in AZ and they have never tried to contact me to collect this. They are representing a bank in MO. I do not believe that they are licensed here to collect. The amount that is claimed owed is fees for being overdrawn. Not the check or overdraw fees but fees because I was overdrawn. Checks cleared the night that deposit was made but deposit credited after debits.My question is what is the SOL on this and do I have have to pay this, since thae bank ended up reversing the returned check carges but never took off these. and how do I get the CA to stop reporting this and get it off my credit reports. This is the only black mark on there except a bankruptcy 9 years ago. This is something that I just found out about after 6 years. I am trying to buy a house and this is causing problems

Sub: #72 posted on Fri, 08/21/2009 - 00:37


Afriend of mine tried ceasing a CA since it was not her debt and she was told that a C&D doesnt apply to third parites due to the wording of the FDCPA. The wording of that section does seem to imply consumer owing the debt
:shock: So you're saying that any old collector can call the wrong person with impunity? I wouldn't take such a response from them with anything but angry derision. Not to mention, I'd sue them. The nerve.

Sub: #73 posted on Fri, 08/21/2009 - 00:47

Chrys Henderson Chrys Henderson

(Posts: 2538 | Credits: )

Are debt collectors allowed to call on weekends? I just got a call from Allied Interstate (or so I'm assuming, as the phone number is 866-310-3882).

Sub: #74 posted on Sat, 09/19/2009 - 09:39


yes they are.that is until you send the cease and desist letter.send it certified mail return receipt.

Sub: #75 posted on Sat, 09/19/2009 - 10:35

paulmergel paulmergel
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 15512 | Credits: )

If you are a Pennsylvania or Ohio resident, A debt cannot be collected after 4 years. Thetime limit has expired. If they pursue, contact the BBC or the FDCPA.

Sub: #76 posted on Fri, 10/23/2009 - 15:01


Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you are a Pennsylvania or Ohio resident, A debt cannot be collected after 4 years. Thetime limit has expired. If they pursue, contact the BBC or the FDCPA.

If you are referring to the SOL that isn't correct. The SOL for Ohio is the following:
Written or oral account: 6 years, (O.R.C. ??2305.07).

Written contract: 15 years, (O.R.C. ??2305.06).

Oral contract: 6 years (O.R.C. ??2305.07).

Note payable at a definite time: 6 years, (O.R.C. ?? 1303 .16(A)); (2)).

Demand note: 6 years after the date on which demand is made or 10 years if no demand is made and neither principal nor interest has been paid over that time (O.R.C. ??1303.16(B)).

Dishonored check or draft: 3 years after dishonor, (O.R.C. ??1303.16 (C))

Sub: #77 posted on Fri, 10/23/2009 - 15:09

Shazzers Shazzers
Moderators Cum Industry Expert
(Posts: 17345 | Credits: )

If you do come up with an agreement with the creditor, make sure that you get it in writing, otherwise the agreement isn't worth the paper it's written on. When you do pay them, use a money order or a bank draft. You don't want them to have any sort of access to your checking account information. Often times they'll take all of the money out of your account and there's not any real legal recourse

Sub: #78 posted on Sat, 10/24/2009 - 11:18


I've gotten three calls over the past two days from a number that supposedly belongs to CBCS (I looked it up at I haven't been home when they called and I don't have voice mail, so there are no messages to check. I don't have any debt; I'm a college student and my only bills that I've had to pay in my adult life are my credit card, electricity, and cable (the last two only since this fall), and they get paid off on time. So I'm assuming they're calling for somebody else. So I'm wondering if I should bother calling them back and verifying who they are (My caller ID says "Not Provided," but everything I've found says they're a collection agency) or if I should wait for them to call me when I'm actually home. From what I've read, this CBCS place is incredibly unscrupulous and has no contention about being indiscriminately abusive to both people with and without legitimate business with them.

Sub: #79 posted on Thu, 10/29/2009 - 05:02


hi well im very new at this so ill get right to the point . i have a bell south in collection and ive been trying to get a hold them i saw it was on my credit report last year in 08 i looked just a few days ago its not there. so i do i find them if i keep getting the run around with them they wont give me a billing address or phone numbers when i called them last. they even said they never had me as a wireless coustomer. how do i get a hold of the right person and pay them im not on computer much but please email me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
email address removed per site ToS, for your protection. Uncle Wulf

Sub: #80 posted on Thu, 11/05/2009 - 22:29


More information
  • Files must be less than 500 MB.
  • Allowed file types: txt pdf jpg jpeg png.

Page loaded in 0.124 seconds.